Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a story about Trump in the New York Times. Give me, say, your top three to five reasons why I should believe it.

And that is a commentary on the state of the American media.

Or, you could read it and explain why you think it is not accurate.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can start with false statements on the disclosure form.

As for the rest, the nature of the transactions in China, who knows. Trump is deliberately opaque about his business activity using networks of LLCs, some with obscure names, to hide his activity.

I'm not seeing any real proof. I guess it's time it goes through the courts so we know for certian.

Was his business in China illegal? I don't know because we don't have enough information to know. What we do know is that he doesn't want us to know about his sources of incomes in China or elsewhere. Sounds shady to me.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's a story about Trump in the New York Times. Give me, say, your top three to five reasons why I should believe it.

No, it’s a commentary on the gullibility of large swathes of the American public. Trump admitted to Lesley Stahl right back in 2016 why he attacks the press constantly:

“You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you.”

But no, of course it’s the highly reputable US journalists who all magically became dishonest in the last four years, not the guy who lies as easily as most people breath.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, it’s a commentary on the gullibility of large swathes of the American public. Trump admitted to Lesley Stahl right back in 2016 why he attacks the press constantly:

“You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you.”

But no, of course it’s the highly reputable US journalists who all magically became dishonest in the last four years, not the guy who lies as easily as most people breath.

Let's examine this. According to the New York Times, they have twenty years of Trump's tax returns. Who have they verified them with? Did they contact the IRS? Who exactly did they confirm the information with?

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Let's examine this. According to the New York Times, they have twenty years of Trump's tax returns. Who have they verified them with? Did they contact the IRS? Who exactly did they confirm the information with?

Trump could easily make The New York Times look pretty stupid by releasing his own tax returns and showing they are not what The New York Times has...just a suggestion.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Trump could easily make The New York Times look pretty stupid by releasing his own tax returns and showing they are not what The New York Times has...just a suggestion.

So does that mean the New York Times verified the information or no?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You can find answers to that here: Trump’s Taxes Show Chronic Losses and Years of Income Tax Avoidance

If reading the NYT makes your eyes burn, this is the most relevant part:

‘All of the information The Times obtained was provided by sources with legal access to it. While most of the tax data has not previously been made public, The Times was able to verify portions of it by comparing it with publicly available information and confidential records previously obtained by The Times’

You’re aware there is no claim from Trump or his various stooges that these are not his tax returns I assume. If you like you can read through the article and explain why you think the information is ‘fake’ or something of that sort.

• Winner
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So does that mean the New York Times verified the information or no?

You seem rather desperate to find a loophole that allows you to avoid the issue altogether. Fair enough, but a more convincing approach would be to address the actual material and demonstrate what is fake about it or any of the related claims.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You seem rather desperate to find a loophole that allows you to avoid the issue altogether. Fair enough, but a more convincing approach would be to address the actual material and demonstrate what is fake about it or any of the related claims.

It is not up to me to demonstrate what is fake. It is up to the New York Times to demonstrate what is true.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not up to me to demonstrate what is fake. It is up to the New York Times to demonstrate what is true.

They have, you appear to be claiming it is fake. What do you think is fake, and why?

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist

No, it is a commentary on the state of Trump supporters having bought into Trump's repeated disinformation.

One should absolutely not take any news source as clear fact unquestioningly, but suggesting that the New York Times is peddling misinformation as their baseline, while simultaneously believing Trump is a credible source of information, shows how far down the hole people have gone.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,772.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What is funny is to compare local taxes of a corporation with Federal taxes from an individual. I bet Trump hotels paid far more local taxes in America than it did in China. Don't worry though the NYT is ill equipped to make such a rational comparison as they prefer yellow journalism when it comes to Trump.
Am I to assume then, that there is a SOLID and justifiable reason for this bank account to go unreported until now?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟365,772.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Why does the right hold the NYT to an impossible standard and Trump to literally, no standard?

• Optimistic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, it is a commentary on the state of Trump supporters having bought into Trump's repeated disinformation.

One should absolutely not take any news source as clear fact unquestioningly, but suggesting that the New York Times is peddling misinformation as their baseline, while simultaneously believing Trump is a credible source of information, shows how far down the hole people have gone.

suggesting that the New York Times is peddling misinformation as their baseline

That is precisely what I am saying. We were told for years that Trump was an agent of Russia. Including by the New York Times. Repeatedly. How many retractions have they printed since the entire thing was disproven?

while simultaneously believing Trump is a credible source of information

I have not commented on the truthfulness of anything Trump has said.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why does the right hold the NYT to an impossible standard and Trump to literally, no standard?

You would have to ask "the right" that question.

And I am not holding the New York Times to an impossible standard. I am holding them to a realistic standard well accepted in journalism.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟365,772.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You would have to ask "the right" that question.

And I am not holding the New York Times to an impossible standard. I am holding them to a realistic standard well accepted in journalism.
Well that's interesting. You say you are holding them to a "realistic standard well accepted in journalism".

But really, no you're not.

You are now STARTING WITH THE ASSUMPTION that maybe they have not. That is why you are questioning it. Even though you and everyone recognizes that standard, you think the New York Times, one of the most reputable sources of news in the WORLD, does not do that. You think an organization that has won 130 pulitzer prizes is not meeting basic standards.

That is an irrational standard to start with. But it is the EXACT same standard we see every time the NYT or any reputable source reports, yet again, on something that Trump acknowledges. And you just need to have that seed of doubt long enough for the next debacle. And that has been the pattern for this whole presidency. This is ALSO a behaviour trait of mentally unwell people. Because it is a method of establishing control. Create chaos (even just mild chaos like irrational questioning) and maintain that chaos through different

And it's why America is so tired of the Trump Presidency, or at least that it appears that way.

This is a Trump tactic. You're "just asking a question" but the question itself is a loaded one that appears to attempt to undermine credibility temporarily.

For some reason Trump excusers believe that an organization that has made 3 mistakes is EXACTLY as capable and honest as an organization that has made hundreds of mistakes. It's how they compare Biden's weird an uncomfortable shoulder touches with Trump grabbing women by their genitals and looking at them in videos like some kind of lascivious pervert and his 17 sexual assault complaints.

These are just not reasonable comparisons. They just are not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We were told for years that Trump was an agent of Russia. Including by the New York Times. Repeatedly. How many retractions have they printed since the entire thing was disproven?

But that's not what you've been repeatedly told.

What the NY Times and other outlets have reported on are deals, contacts, etc. between Trump and Russians, the Trump companies and Russian entities, the Trump campaign and Russians, and various Trump associates and Russian entities. Many of these Russian entities and persons are connected to the Russian state, especially to the intel apparatus or Russian org. crime. We also know that the Russian state interfered in the previous election whether Trump or his associates were aware of it.

None of this makes Trump a Russian agent (i.e., some one working for the Russian government) and to my knowledge no responsible US media outlet has made such an assessment. If anti-Trump bloggers or marginal media analysis sites do so, that doesn't mean that they are right or that the professional press has done so.

Short answer: "The big media outlets have *not* labeled Trump a "Russian agent".

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...the U.S. under Trump is a case study on how shockingly easy it is to manipulate the population.

Upvote 0