Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is Trumpism a political movement? --No.

Is Trumpism a religious movement? --No.

Is Trumpism a bit of both? --Apparently not.

Is it one now and becoming the other? --No.

What are your thoughts? --There isn't such a thing as Trumpism. His policies, etc. are not unique, nor do they depart significantly from what most other Republican presidents have favored.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is Trumpism a political movement? - Yes

Is Trumpism a religious movement? - Yes, for the majority of right-wing Christians.

Is Trumpism a bit of both? - Yes, it's a mixture like modern conservatism is with Americanism.

Is it one now and becoming the other? It is both.

What are your thoughts? -- I think it's duplicitous for the Christian Right to support Donald Trump now when so many of the same conservatives spent several years condemning Bill Clinton for his sexual sins and sexual scandals while he was still the President. The Christian Right who support Trump now never once referred to Bill Clinton's adulterous philandering as 'locker room banter' or ever insisted that his sins were between him and God or ever insisted that he shouldn't be judged for his sins. I think Trump should consider himself lucky because he wouldn't have all the support he has enjoyed from his conservative voting base if he had campaigned and won the election as a liberal Democrat.

An Open Letter to Trump’s Evangelical Defenders

Trump-Loving Christians Owe Bill Clinton an Apology

Evangelicals slammed Bill Clinton's sexual misconduct. So why does Trump get a pass?

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
To a large extent, Trumpism is celebrity worship syndrome that moved into the realm of politics. To a smaller, but significant degree, some see Trump as the last hope to stop/slow illegal immigration from Latin America.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What are your thoughts? --There isn't such a thing as Trumpism. His policies, etc. are not unique, nor do they depart significantly from what most other Republican presidents have favored.

On immigration, Democrats sounded like him once too. Because they cared about securing employment for American workers. They were the blue collar party once (I hope they still can be again).

But now Democrats have all the funding of large corporations, which is why they changed their tune. It's the Koch brothers who are now oddly among their funders.

Breaking With Trump's GOP, Koch Brothers Praise Democrats On Immigration

• Winner
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
On immigration, Democrats sounded like him once too. Because they cared about securing employment for American workers. They were the blue collar party once (I hope they still can be again).

But now Democrats have all the funding of large corporations, which is why they changed their tune. It's the Koch brothers who are now oddly among their funders.

Breaking With Trump's GOP, Koch Brothers Praise Democrats On Immigration
Both parties are captive to special interest large donations and that is why a few of us refuse to support either the Dems or the GOP. As Ralph Nader said back in the 2000 campaign, when he was running as the Green Party candidate, Bush vs Gore was a choice between Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee.

• Haha
Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Definitely not a religious movement, only vaguely a political one, mostly a personality thing.

I agree. Trump is a master manipulator and knows how to play a crowd like a maestro. I see no evidence that he personally has any real religious convictions at all ---- but he uses it to play his crowds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trumpism is never admitting your wrong.

It's supporting and defending a man who could rival Bill Clinton on adulterous philandering after spending many years judging and condemning Bill Clinton for being an adulterous philander.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Trump is a master manipulator and knows how to play a crowd like a maestro. I see no evidence that he personally has any real religious convictions at all ---- but he uses it to play his crowds.

He initially said he's never asked God for forgiveness of his sins, but he changed his story and said he doesn't like to ask God for forgiveness. Well, at least he knows how to recite from Two Corinthians.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
He initially said he's never asked God for forgiveness of his sins, but he changed his story and said he doesn't like to ask God for forgiveness. Well, at least he knows how to recite from Two Corinthians.

He doesn't like to ask God for forgiveness because that would be to admit to be subordinate.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He doesn't like to ask God for forgiveness because that would be to admit to be subordinate.

It's unfortunate, but I don't think it's the "subordinate" thing exactly. He's being honest when he says he grew up in Norman Vincent Peale's church, and was really devoted to his teachings (his sister has said he was a fanatic or something). He has some weird aversion to admitting any kind of failure, because of this devotion to positive thinking. When people think he's being a blowhard, he sees it a different way - as thwarting negativity.

He's like the polar opposite of Catholic Guilt.

• Informative
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟231,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is Trumpism a political movement?

Is Trumpism a religious movement?

Is Trumpism a bit of both?

Is it one now and becoming the other?

What are your thoughts?

I think it's just one product of a society that wants too much power in the executive branch. Anti-Trumpism is another product. Everyone wants a person with their ideology in the executive office and for that person to be able to execute their ideology with little to no restraint. When it's your person in office, you rationalize everything they do. When it's not your person in office, you oppose everything they do. Your person can do no wrong, and so they just need the power to execute your vision. If it's not your person in office, they can do no right and need to be replaced (and sooner rather than later).

That's the impression I have at least.

Reactions: notreligus
Upvote 0