Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is a governing body, when the disciples designated the care of widows and orphans, so it is today with our "Christian" country whose principles are to care for the needy.
I disagree with the idea of conflating the body of messiah to the US government.

Every study I have ever seen shows that the LOCAL synagogue, church, charity organization is far, far, far more effective in providing services to the poor and needy than the government.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is a governing body, when the disciples designated the care of widows and orphans, so it is today with our "Christian" country whose principles are to care for the needy.
The only problem is that "the disciples" were not a government...and certainly not one governed by our Constitution.

They were free to act out their religious beliefs; you as an individual are similarly free to choose the recipients of your own charitable giving, if any.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have to say, even though I despise Trump, I applaud this action. Do not stand idly by the blood of your neighbor. I posted an entire thread on this in the ethics section.
I think they misread Trump when he said he was not the worlds policeman.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The only problem is that "the disciples" were not a government...and certainly not one governed by our Constitution.

They were free to act out their religious beliefs; you as an individual are similarly free to choose the recipients of your own charitable giving, if any.
Concept of being a body of believers, nation, that lives according to its faith.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I disagree with the idea of conflating the body of messiah to the US government.

Every study I have ever seen shows that the LOCAL synagogue, church, charity organization is far, far, far more effective in providing services to the poor and needy than the government.
Ohhh I agree.. it was the concept that I wanted to point out.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Torah teaches Tzedakah (Social Justice) -- the idea that all our money belongs to God, and a portion of that money has been entrusted to us on behalf of the poor: it is our job to give it away. To begin with, there was a ten percent tithe/tax. This tithe was for two purposes: to support the Levites and priests, and to support the poor. And it was not the only social justice Law. Israelites were not to harvest the four corners of their fields, but to leave them for the poor. If while harvesting grain fell to the ground, they were not to pick it up, but to leave it for the poor to glean. Any hungry person could enter a vineyard or orchard and eat until their hunger was satisfied and it was NOT THEFT. No one went hungry in Israel, due to all of these societal taxes and laws.

Now, if for the sake of holiness one wanted to give alms beyond 10% because God had especially blessed one, that was super dooper.

Did you know that of the 3 tithes, none involved money except the third, and that only in certain circumstances?
Only those who grow food (or spices) or raise animals pay tithes, and only on the increase.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Did you know that of the 3 tithes, none involved money except the third, and that only in certain circumstances?
Only those who grow food (or spices) or raise animals pay tithes, and only on the increase.
Yes, it was a way different culture back then, where people mostly bartered. I can't even imagine!

What we have to do today is look at the spirit of the law, and translate it into how it can work in our cash culture. How can we as a society (not as voluntary individuals, that was not the spirit of the law) also make it so that no one goes hungry??

Shrugging it off just because with don't live in an agrarian culture is definitely NOT the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You are trusting those guys are playing with a full deck.
No, I'm trusting what I know about Russia from 10+ years serving in the military, the fact that Russia absolutely can not sustain a substantial presence in Syria. To assume Putin doesn't have a full deck shows you do not know what you are speaking about. Putin is a former Colonel in the KGB he is not stupid or insane. Evil yes, insane no. Russia can not even begin to fight a serious conflict with the US in Syria supply and reinforcements would be absolutely disastrous. Beyond that, Putin IS NOT going to war with the US over Syria. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

Iran.... how is this any different than them protesting and chanting "death to America "while Kerry was negotiating the disaster of a treaty with them during the Obama presidency? Like Russia, they are not really capable of doing much militarily from the Syrian theater. If they did attack us, it would give us every reason to absolutely crush them. Which Trump would absolutely do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Iran.... how is this any different than them protesting and chanting "death to America "while Kerry was negotiating the disaster of a treaty with them during the Obama presidency?
Don't they STILL also chant "Death to Carter?"

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I do think its funny that there are people out there who are still buying into the MSNBC/CNN leftist propaganda that Trump colluded with Russia.....

The US-Russia relations are the worst they have been since the Cold war. "IF" Putin colluded to elect trump it sure has backfired on him and Russia.... But then, of course, there is 0 evidence that the Trump campaign, Trump or his administration in any way colluded with Russia.

But hey, that doesn't stop the liberal whacko media from continuing to pimp that line if insanity

• Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Trump administration’s demands China do more to stop North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.

The North Korean military issued a statement on Friday threatening to attack major American military bases in South Korea, as well as the presidential Blue House, warning that it could annihilate those targets “within minutes.”

Upvote 0