Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bizarre when people applaud the fact that the man selected for the highest office in the country is legally free to hide his corruption and financial ties.

How is this a good for democracy ? How is this good for transparency or less corrupted government ?

I am seriously asking what are the positives of a politician not required to be open about his financial ties to people and government when he repeatedly has to be in contact with them while doing policy that should advance the interests of US and it’s citizens ?

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sure that Congress can get a copy from the State of New York; the one’s that the Supreme Court said could get the tax records.

Good Day,

The case was remained back to district with very good language to assist Trump as to the nature of defenses he could use.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, you are saying this ruling was bad for the house and good for Trump, yet your article says that the decision “roils” the White House, and Trump’s two biggest allies on the Supreme Court were the dissenters? Why did Alito and Thomas dissent?

Have not read the dissenting opion.... yet

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am sure that Congress can get a copy from the State of New York; the one’s that the Supreme Court said could get the tax records.

Sorry but you are somewhat misinformed . The right of a grand jury to subpoena such records has been upheld . However, the State of New York, is not the grand jury and therefore has no legal access to anything the grand jury subpoenas. Grand juries can not legally share any information prior to a trial.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Supreme Court has ruled 7-2 against Congress overstepping it’s bounds and demanding the Presidents tax records.

...and the other part of the ruling? That's a win as well right?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Friendly
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

min sure that Congress is aware that Grand Jury information is sealed. They are not legally able to view them.

I am also sure the legality of how to obtain the information they want is a non issue over their wants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you think the decision roiled the White House?

Trump is roiled because he cannot abide losing. It doesn't fit his self image.

Bizarre when people applaud the fact that the man selected for the highest office in the country is legally free to hide his corruption and financial ties.

How is this a good for democracy ? How is this good for transparency or less corrupted government ?

I am seriously asking what are the positives of a politician not required to be open about his financial ties to people and government when he repeatedly has to be in contact with them while doing policy that should advance the interests of US and it’s citizens ?

He is not legally free to hide anything. The House leadership is just not legally allowed to engage in a fishing expedition of political opposition research by disguising it as an attempt to investigate corruption. If the House leadership had evidence that some crime had been committed or that there was probable cause Trump's financial records would expose that crime then I would assume that the Court would rule that Trump would have to comply with a subpeoana. That is not the case here as the House leadership is trying to find a crime without proabable cause that any crime was even committed. Just being suspicious of someone is not probable cause.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry but you are somewhat misinformed . The right of a grand jury to subpoena such records has been upheld . However, the State of New York, is not the grand jury and therefore has no legal access to anything the grand jury subpoenas. Grand juries can not legally share any information prior to a trial.

True, but in this day and age, don’t be surprised when it is leaked. ***cough cough Schumer***

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married

The Supreme Court has ruled 7-2 against Congress overstepping it’s bounds and demanding the Presidents tax records.
There are two threads on this topic now. I don't think For news quite gets it right. Here is the Times.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True, but in this day and age, don’t be surprised when it is leaked. ***cough cough Schumer***

Someone would have to leak it to Schumer first. But I do see your point that the rule of law seems to not be an impediment to those that are politically motivated. Since no prosecutions have been forthcoming for those that have illegally used their positions in government to leak classified information why would a member of a grand jury or a prosecutor be fearful of any repercussions?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are two threads on this topic now. I don't think For news quite gets it right. Here is the Times.

The Times will most certainly gives the spin you want which IMO would be getting it wrong. I guess I won't know for sure as I am not going to create an account.

Upvote 0