Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ugh, it just never ends.

Trump Wondered Why “Pretty Korean Lady” Wasn’t Negotiating With North Korea

“Where are you from?” Trump asked when she was done with the briefing. She answered New York. But that wasn’t the answer he was looking for and pressed again. Still unsatisfied with her answer of “Manhattan,” Trump just came out and asked where “your people” are from. When she said her parents are Korean, Trump then turned to an adviser and asked why the “pretty Korean lady” wasn’t negotiating with North Korea. The fact that she’s a hostage policy expert didn’t seem to matter to the president.​

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
US citizen here.

raining_david_tennant.gif

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except the fact that Dr. Who isn't a US citizen. You may be, but he isn't.
Welcome to the internet. That is a GIF. Often GIFs are used to express the feelings of the poster, and are usually in no way literal. Here's what we call a meme on the aforementioned internet.

knowing.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the internet. That is a GIF. Often GIFs are used to express the feelings of the poster, and are usually in no way literal. Here's what we call a meme on the aforementioned internet.

I was joking around with you... Chill.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As believable as this is, it's a little too anecdotal for me. On top of that the exchange matches a little too closely to this video on the same topic that came out 3 years before he ran for president.

• Informative
Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As believable as this is, it's a little too anecdotal for me. On top of that the exchange matches a little too closely to this video on the same topic that came out 3 years before he ran for president.

Are you suggesting that, "no, where are you really from", has never been asked of any non-white American ever outside of that video.

eta - I had my California born Korean-American coworker watch the video and he said it stuck home for him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you suggesting that, "no, where are you really from", has never been asked of any non-white American ever outside of that video.

eta - I had my California born Korean-American coworker watch the video and he said it stuck home for him.

No, of course not. I am merely a bit skeptical that this incident actually took place. I'm about 51/49 on it. It's just a little too convenient and "in character" if you will. It comes off as something someone who wanted to make Trump look silly and racist would write after having watched the video I linked. That's all.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟147,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Neither statement is confirmed, nor proven.. plausible - sure.

Still the Lefts 'uproar' over the alleged Korean/pretty woman statement is another example of exactly 'why' people dislike the left and its political correctness. It is this kind of excessive sensitivity and hypervigilance that explodes their assumptions so they believe some horrendous crime is being committed when someone says something - that may well be nothing at all.

What seems like a series of statements anyone might make, without being a racist or sexist.
People ask me all the time if I'm Italian, they ask me where my family was from, Naples. They ask my wife the same thing, because her name, but they also ask if she's Mexican, because she 'is' hispanic, but she's from California. Neither of us 'ever' feel the person asking is racist (?), generally they are just curious and friendly..
People have asked if the pretty lady is my wife, yes I smile. If I need to describe a lady to someone, do i say the blonde lady, or the brunette, the short lady, the one with the limp, or the lady in blue, or the pretty lady - which until recently seemed like a perfectly agreeable way to describe a pretty lady, if you were trying quickly to describe someone, why not?? I've used the term handsome when describing a man who stands out as so, just as well, it seems like a 'mature' thing to do... so waterfaucet is going on here ..!!!

He wanted to know why this obviously trained and smart woman, who was as it seems 'obviously' South Korean, couldn't work with the N Korean advisors also, seemed simply like a logical question, and inquiry.

Jesus help us..... ugghhhh

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Trump can be really obnoxious. This however, seems to me to be just an example of Trump being Trump, and not in a bad way this time.
He reminds me of Jesse Ventura in that regard, just talking in a regular way, off the cuff and completely unrehearsed, and not really caring what people think. Politicians who refuse to speak Polticalese, carrying on and on and on with the express purpose of not saying anything at all, are refreshing. Man, to listen to politician after politician say nothing is so boring, and then to hear the fifth estate analyse the speech in order to critique the politician for actually slipping up and saying something has made following politics absolutely pointless.

So, he noticed she was of Korean descent? Well, a lot of people make a big deal that Trump is white, and guess what?
He is white.

Men tend to notice if women are pretty or not, and women notice things about men too. That is just who we are as people. There is nothing particularly wrong with that. Calling women ugly to their face like Trump has done defines his obnoxiousness. Calling someone pretty is considered way too informal, and sure it is, but it is not an insult or disrespect in any way.

For years people how useful it is for Americans to have access to people of different backgrounds who can speak the Arab or whatever, to be able to get an inside track on what is going on in the world.
Trump suggesting that this is a woman who might be able to negotiate with NKorea is not all that far fetched or out of the ordinary for what experts have been suggesting all along.

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Trump can be really obnoxious. This however, seems to me to be just an example of Trump being Trump, and not in a bad way this time.
He reminds me of Jesse Ventura in that regard, just talking in a regular way, off the cuff and completely unrehearsed, and not really caring what people think. Politicians who refuse to speak Polticalese, carrying on and on and on with the express purpose of not saying anything at all, are refreshing. Man, to listen to politician after politician say nothing is so boring, and then to hear the fifth estate analyse the speech in order to critique the politician for actually slipping up and saying something has made following politics absolutely pointless.

So, he noticed she was of Korean descent? Well, a lot of people make a big deal that Trump is white, and guess what?
He is white.

Men tend to notice if women are pretty or not, and women notice things about men too. That is just who we are as people. There is nothing particularly wrong with that. Calling women ugly to their face like Trump has done defines his obnoxiousness. Calling someone pretty is considered way too informal, and sure it is, but it is not an insult or disrespect in any way.

For years people how useful it is for Americans to have access to people of different backgrounds who can speak the Arab or whatever, to be able to get an inside track on what is going on in the world.
Trump suggesting that this is a woman who might be able to negotiate with NKorea is not all that far fetched or out of the ordinary for what experts have been suggesting all along.

I wonder if you are trolling sometimes. This attempt to white wash something that is just unprofessional and borderline sexist is amazing.

There is a time and a place for everything and as the President of the United States, remarking on a professional woman's beauty in a professional setting is demeaning. Lets not pretend that it is acceptable behavior nor blur the lines of the situation with the logic of "Well, what is wrong with giving a compliment."

I will tell you what is wrong with it. There is a time and a place for everything.

I'm big and I'm black. I also happen to have a background in Engineering/Physics and I have given talks about technical matters. If I were giving a talk on laser transition states in crystal lattice structures and someone in the room asked me, "hey, you are a big guy did you ever play football?" And then he keeps pressing me on the subject until I said, "Yes, I played football in college". And then he says, "Yeah, he's a big guy I knew it, bet you would have done well in the NFL..."

Tell me, is that an appropriate comment to make to me in this setting? What is his intent in pressing me on a completely unrelated subject in front of my peers?

Having come from a professional background, I know exactly how inappropriate comments about a woman's beauty are in a professional setting as relates to her doing her job. And to pretend otherwise is just ridiculous on the point of being offensive.

I don't know if Trump did say those things or if this really happened. But what I do know is that if it did, it would have been inappropriate and your attempt to say, "Hey, not such a big deal..." is borderline offensive

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if you are trolling sometimes. This attempt to white wash something that is just unprofessional and borderline sexist is amazing.

There is a time and a place for everything and as the President of the United States, remarking on a professional woman's beauty in a professional setting is demeaning. Lets not pretend that it is acceptable behavior nor blur the lines of the situation with the logic of "Well, what is wrong with giving a compliment."

I will tell you what is wrong with it. There is a time and a place for everything.

I'm big and I'm black. I also happen to have a background in Engineering/Physics and I have given talks about technical matters. If I were giving a talk on laser transition states in crystal lattice structures and someone in the room asked me, "hey, you are a big guy did you ever play football?" And then he keeps pressing me on the subject until I said, "Yes, I played football in college". And then he says, "Yeah, he's a big guy I knew it, bet you would have done well in the NFL..."

Tell me, is that an appropriate comment to make to me in this setting? What is his intent in pressing me on a completely unrelated subject in front of my peers?

Having come from a professional background, I know exactly how inappropriate comments about a woman's beauty are in a professional setting as relates to her doing her job. And to pretend otherwise is just ridiculous on the point of being offensive.

I don't know if Trump did say those things or if this really happened. But what I do know is that if it did, it would have been inappropriate and your attempt to say, "Hey, not such a big deal..." is borderline offensive

Well said. We have yet another example of Trump putting his foot in his mouth, kind of like when he said, "Look at My African-American over here!" while he was still campaigning last year.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

Have a Tamil coworker who was born and raised in London who sounds more British than I do getting asked that more often than I ever do.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0