Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WASHINGTON — President Trump vetoed a bipartisan resolution on Tuesday that would have forced an end to American military involvement in Saudi Arabia’s civil war in Yemen, rejecting an appeal by lawmakers to his own deeply rooted instincts to withdraw the United States from bloody foreign conflicts.

Trump Vetoes Measure to Force End to U.S. Involvement in Yemen War

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
WASHINGTON — President Trump vetoed a bipartisan resolution on Tuesday that would have forced an end to American military involvement in Saudi Arabia’s civil war in Yemen, rejecting an appeal by lawmakers to his own deeply rooted instincts to withdraw the United States from bloody foreign conflicts.

I just realized how much skepticism is automatic in me at hearing the word, "bipartisan". All my defenses go up.

• Haha
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,344.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just realized how much skepticism is automatic in me at hearing the word, "bipartisan". All my defenses go up.
As when a politician says this will save you money and I wonder how much it will cost me, or this will help you and I wonder how much it will hurt me!

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Why is Yemen the enemy of the United States? What did Yemen ever do to us? Just wondering. Wondering if the Saudi princes are really our friend too.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,544.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That means you have been well-conditioned, congratulations.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
This just shows how much of a military genius our elected President truly is. Now is the time to disband the disloyal Congress (such low approval ratings and numbers, so sad) and put the most popular President ever complete charge of the country and military so we can crush the President of the United States enemies once and for all and put those know nothing and incompetent generals in their place, on the front line leading the troops and following the orders of our Commander in Chief. A swift victory is all but guaranteed.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump signing legislation that curtails his executive authority? Hardly seems likely, it would have came as a shock if he had signed it. Instead we will side with Saudi Arabia that continues to batter Yemen because who needs a balance of powers when you have Donald Trump in the White House?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why? Are you so incapable of working with people unlike yourself that you suspect those who are not?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why? Are you so incapable of working with people unlike yourself that you suspect those who are not?
I must say, I tend to be suspicious some times myself. The question becomes to what end and lately I'm almost as unimpressed with the Congress as I am with Trump. That said, the Congress is supposed to be working on broad categories of treaties and foreign policy. A consensus along those lines would reflect a much deeper support among the electorate, especially if it's bipartisan. Saudi Arabia is trying to encircle Iran and beat Yemen into submission, I don't think there is much question about that. I think Trump is taking sides in this conflict and don't think this reflects his confidence in the ability of the UN to broker a mutually agreed peace.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is no surprise. Saudi Arabia is an ally of the president and his son-in-law. And, trump is within his rights to make such decisions.

The open question is when, if ever, the Congress will over-rule the president though an over-ride.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Saudi Arabia is our greatest ally in the world. Not only do they supply us with good quality cheap oil to fuel our massive economy, they buy our superior weapon and use them to kill he Islamic terrorists in Yemen. And to top it all off, Saudi Arabia, unlike failing Germany, gives loans to our leader when he needs to invest in the greatness that is the United States of America. One of the wisest and greatest Presidential vetoes in history by our greatest President.

• Haha
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I must say, I tend to be suspicious some times myself. The question becomes to what end and lately I'm almost as unimpressed with the Congress as I am with Trump. That said, the Congress is supposed to be working on broad categories of treaties and foreign policy. A consensus along those lines would reflect a much deeper support among the electorate, especially if it's bipartisan.
Exactly - the other guy was saying the opposite, that he only likes partisan stuff. Makes no sense.

Saudi Arabia is trying to encircle Iran and beat Yemen into submission, I don't think there is much question about that. I think Trump is taking sides in this conflict and don't think this reflects his confidence in the ability of the UN to broker a mutually agreed peace.
I don't think the former reality tv personality gives it much thought beyond who is buying apartments in his buildings. While Donald has access to many of the most experienced and educated in their fields, he routinely insults them to their faces and dismisses them with a vulgar tweet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly - the other guy was saying the opposite, that he only likes partisan stuff. Makes no sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense when you like playing both ends against the middle. I think professional politicians have more in common with one another then they will ever have with average middle class Americans.

I don't think the former reality tv personality gives it much thought beyond who is buying apartments in his buildings. While Donald has access to many of the most experienced and educated in their fields, he routinely insults them to their faces and dismisses them with a vulgar tweet.

Trump surrounds himself with people who serve his ego driven flavor of the week. If they don't come through in spades, no matter the obstacles, they are fired or otherwise pushed out. He has never had a problem with vacancies because he thinks that gives him more control, less swamp like bureaucracy and fewer distractions for his base. He doesn't need experts, he is the best of all time at whatever requires an ill-informed opinion.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
No. I think it is because whenever people are willing to call something bipartisan, it means the politically correct thing is being pushed, advertised as something else.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,951.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No. I think it is because whenever people are willing to call something bipartisan, it means the politically correct thing is being pushed, advertised as something else.

With the prevalence of your sort of knee jerk reaction it's a wonder our political system isn't in worse shape than it already is.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,344.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Saudi Arabia is our greatest ally in the world. Not only do they supply us with good quality cheap oil to fuel our massive economy, they buy our superior weapon and use them to kill he Islamic terrorists in Yemen. And to top it all off, Saudi Arabia, unlike failing Germany, gives loans to our leader when he needs to invest in the greatness that is the United States of America. One of the wisest and greatest Presidential vetoes in history by our greatest President.
I would have thought that the United States of America might find a better 'greatest ally' than Saudi Arabia, despite their prominence in the Human Rights arena of the UN. Yemen does remain a problematic state on the Arabian Peninsula, and I recall one description of its political system as 'kleptocracy'.

I am not sure what the concept of 'investing in the greatness of the United States of America ' means. Many of the concepts allied to the greatness of the US have to do with liberty, equality, justice, and a fair go for all. And now I read that you are building a wall on your southern border to stop people escaping into Mexico?!

Upvote 0