Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
To be sure. And I agree with you about ordinary illegal economic migration. For one thing, such migration could be reduced to negligible levels by enforcing existing laws about employing undocumented foreigners, a step the Trump administration seems unwilling to take.
For another, the present kerfluffle is not about illegal economic migrants from Mexico, but about refugees seeking asylum. Granted, the present disorder at the border has to be dealt with but I am disturbed by the lack of humanitarian concern for these people.

Apparently, a recent sample of 7000 "asylum seekers" found that 90% did not show up for their asylum hearing and were ordered removed in absentia.

Acting DHS Secretary Reveals Whopping Percentage of Migrants Don't Show for Their Court Hearings

If that was a fair sample....out of the 100s of thousands showing up every month now....then what we have is mass fraud. People show up with a child, request asylum, are turned loose and never appear for court.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently, a recent sample of 7000 "asylum seekers" found that 90% did not show up for their asylum hearing and were ordered removed in absentia.

Acting DHS Secretary Reveals Whopping Percentage of Migrants Don't Show for Their Court Hearings
If that was a fair sample....out of the 100s of thousands showing up every month now....then what we have is mass fraud. People show up with a child, request asylum, are turned loose and never appear for court.

“Currently due to a single district court order, we cannot obtain effective immigration enforcement results for the families arriving at our border -- they cannot be held for longer than 21 days and do not receive rulings from immigration courts for years,” [McAleenan] said.*
I heard, “there wouldn’t be a problem if the Courts could see things our (executive branch’s) way and allow us to hold these people for as long as it takes to litigate their cases”.

That doesn’t sound appealing at all.

*source: DHS chief reveals startling stat on asylum seekers who skip hearings, disappear

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“Currently due to a single district court order, we cannot obtain effective immigration enforcement results for the families arriving at our border -- they cannot be held for longer than 21 days and do not receive rulings from immigration courts for years,” [McAleenan] said.*
I heard, “there wouldn’t be a problem if the Courts could see things our (executive branch’s) way and allow us to hold these people for as long as it takes to litigate their cases”.

That doesn’t sound appealing at all.

*source: DHS chief reveals startling stat on asylum seekers who skip hearings, disappear

What would be appealing? Let's assume that the problem is people showing up with children so they cannot be detained and requesting asylum they don't qualify for (and overwhelmingly know they don't qualify for).

I don't see any morally appealing way to deal with the problem....but realistically, we can't save everyone.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
America is full of arrogant, overfed and unconcerned people. BUT we are some of the most generous people on Earth. We give billions of dollars to help the needy across the world. In govwrnment and personal aid out of our own pockets.
As a nation you do give a lot. As a percentage of your gni (a common rubric) it's not quite so flattering.... Like... At all.
But really my greater exception to this is how many people argue the us should draw back or give less aid.. and how y'all complain about it or lord it over instead of remembering and accepting the incredible amount of wealth you have and happily help other countries.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
As a nation you do give a lot. As a percentage of your gni (a common rubric) it's not quite so flattering.... Like... At all.
But really my greater exception to this is how many people argue the us should draw back or give less aid.. and how y'all complain about it or lord it over instead of remembering and accepting the incredible amount of wealth you have and happily help other countries.
Well, that’s the problem being the King of the Hill in national terms: there’s nowhere but down!

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The left is the tornado. They love to cause havoc for trump.
And yet the title of this thread is that the president, NOT the left decided to announce these raids.

Shame on us for react to his nonsense I guess?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal

So we give a lot, but it's not good enough. Always the way of the left. It's never good enough.
And what exactly are you counting as giving anyway?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why doesn't he round up dishonest White Collar criminals instead?
Slumlords like his son-in-law Jared. Employers who violate workplace safety and pay regulations. Loan sharks who practice usury. Insider Traders like the congressman from New York. Medicare fraud cheats like Senator Rick Scott from Florida. He said he wants to drain the swamp. He needs to start with his cronies and his cabinet.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal

And here we were told over and over again that asylum seekers would not be a problem for us because they all show up for their hearings.

Most of us were smart enough to recognize the current issue is NOT like the past. This is a new thing with people flooding the border and seeking asylum. It just ticks me off that Congress has done nothing to address this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Why doesn't he round up dishonest White Collar criminals instead?
Slumlords like his son-in-law Jared. Employers who violate workplace safety and pay regulations. Loan sharks who practice usury. Insider Traders like the congressman from New York. Medicare fraud cheats like Senator Rick Scott from Florida. He said he wants to drain the swamp. He needs to start with his cronies and his cabinet.

Why don't you start a new thread on this. This one is about rounding up the illegals. Which should be done. Why he tweeted about it is beyond me.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Then, it's just red meat in the sense that "meat" is colored red...

Still effective, no?

It would have been more effective if ICE would have arrested them all. Then Trump could have tweeted about the success of the round up. He would have gotten even more support.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
It would have been more effective if ICE would have arrested them all. Then Trump could have tweeted about the success of the round up. He would have gotten even more support.

He'll remain in office in 2020, and I think he knows it.

He also knows with Ancestery.com, 23 and Me, etc., more *ahem* people are realizing they are not quite the "pure" ethnicity they thought they were. He is telegraphing the responsibility on Mexico (despite this move being planned long before announcement), and he is focusing on the whistles that work (i.e. Hillary and the dems.)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If they rounded up all the immigrants there would be no one to fix the roofs and clear the trees after a mini tornado in our town.

And there would be a chicken shortage all over the country. Be careful what you wish for.
They're plenty of roofers in america, we dont need illegal ones.

• Winner
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0