Trump trying to blame the World Health Organisation as his new scapegoat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclipsenow

God cares about his creation as well as us.
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If I were American I would wince with embarrassment every time my "President" opened his mouth. But this year his behaviour has moved beyond embarrassing: this seems to border on impeachable dereliction of duty!

Donald Trump hunted for a new scapegoat on Tuesday in an increasingly frantic attempt to shift blame for thousands of American deaths from the coronavirus, accusing the World Health Organization (WHO) of having “called it wrong” and being “China-centric”.

The US president contradicted himself within minutes, first vowing to put “a very powerful hold” on his government’s funding of the WHO, then insisting such a freeze was only under consideration.

Trump’s early inaction has come under renewed scrutiny in the past day after a New York Times report that Peter Navarro, Trump’s trade adviser, warned in a memo in late January that the virus could put millions of Americans at risk and cost trillions of dollars. Susan Rice, a former national security adviser, told the Washington Post that Trump’s missteps “cost tens of thousands of American lives”.

The president has repeatedly denied responsibility and sought to blame China, the Obama administration and the media. On Tuesday, with the US death toll exceeding 12,000, he unleashed a tirade at the WHO, even though it raised the alarm in January, after which he made statements downplaying it and comparing it to the common flu.​
Trump threatens to hold WHO funding, then backtracks, amid search for scapegoat | Donald Trump | The Guardian

Last edited:

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,257.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
WHO is not exactly innocent in this pandemic. Trump did himself no favor, but part of what he said is true. WHO has indeed failed in the early stages leading to late response from other nations.

Taiwan being excluded from WHO is one of the few countries that did the right thing early without WHO's help. Look at their numbers. It should be the gold standard to follow by other nations. Not WHO's standard.

Taiwan says WHO ignored its coronavirus questions at start of outbreak

The WHO Ignores Taiwan. The World Pays the Price.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If I were American I would wince with embarrassment every time my "President" opened his mouth. But this year his behaviour has moved beyond embarrassing: this seems to border on impeachable dereliction of duty!

Donald Trump hunted for a new scapegoat on Tuesday in an increasingly frantic attempt to shift blame for thousands of American deaths from the coronavirus, accusing the World Health Organization (WHO) of having “called it wrong” and being “China-centric”.

The US president contradicted himself within minutes, first vowing to put “a very powerful hold” on his government’s funding of the WHO, then insisting such a freeze was only under consideration.

Trump’s early inaction has come under renewed scrutiny in the past day after a New York Times report that Peter Navarro, Trump’s trade adviser, warned in a memo in late January that the virus could put millions of Americans at risk and cost trillions of dollars. Susan Rice, a former national security adviser, told the Washington Post that Trump’s missteps “cost tens of thousands of American lives”.

The president has repeatedly denied responsibility and sought to blame China, the Obama administration and the media. On Tuesday, with the US death toll exceeding 12,000, he unleashed a tirade at the WHO, even though it raised the alarm in January, after which he made statements downplaying it and comparing it to the common flu.
Trump threatens to hold WHO funding, then backtracks, amid search for scapegoat | Donald Trump | The Guardian

Late January was when Trump banned travel from the Wuhan area. He was criticized for it by the director of the World Health Organization.

WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

God cares about his creation as well as us.
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if it's the WHO's responsibility to warn that it might become a pandemic or describe what is happening at that current time, and that's a conversation worth having, but ... this...

"with the US death toll exceeding 12,000, he unleashed a tirade at the WHO, even though it raised the alarm in January, after which he made statements downplaying it and comparing it to the common flu."

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
WHO is not exactly innocent in this pandemic. Trump did himself no favor, but part of what he said is true. WHO has indeed failed in the early stages leading to late response from other nations.

I agree with you. They were particularly lax and haven't been that helpful as far as I can see

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,257.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if it's the WHO's responsibility to warn that it might become a pandemic or describe what is happening at that current time, and that's a conversation worth having, but ... this...

Yes it's their job. Why have an international body dedicated to health if all it does is nothing?

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟981,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I were American I would wince with embarrassment every time my "President" opened his mouth.

Don't worry. We Americans do enough wincing for you.

... Well, we elected it, so we pay for it. =/

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Late January was when Trump banned travel from the Wuhan area. He was criticized for it by the director of the World Health Organization.

WHO chief says widespread travel bans not needed to beat China virus
Because it was already too late by then for travel bans to be effective (as has been born out by the cases numbers we're seeing in the US now). Covid-19 was already here in the US and on it's way from other parts of the world. The only thing that could have mitigated it's progress here in the US was testing and isolating hot spots, something the Trump administration failed to do for another month.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

Concerns about a dwindling supply of PPE are not new. Back on February 7, the World Health Organization sounded alarm bells about "the limited stock of PPE," noting demand was 100 times higher than normal for this equipment.

Yet the same day as the WHO warning, the Trump administration announced that it was transporting to China nearly 17.8 tons (more than 35,000 pounds) of "masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials." As Secretary of State Mike Pompeo noted in the press release announcing this shipment, "These donations are a testament to the generosity of the American people."

Trump did not place any orders for PPE until mid-March with delivery at the end of April.

LINK2

On March 12, the day before Trump finally declared a national emergency due to the pandemic, the Department of Health and Human Services placed its first bulk order with 3M for $4.8 million worth of N95 masks. Nine days later, when there were over 30,000 confirmed cases in the country, it placed a larger second order for $173 million. Those masks would be added to the national stockpile, which was created in 1999 in anticipation of potential effects from the Y2K computer bug and expanded following 9/11.

But, the AP reported, the mid-March contracts signed by the federal government and 3M don’t require the company to begin delivering the masks until the end of April — after the White House’s forecasts predict the pandemic will have peaked:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,257.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes it's their job. Why have an international body dedicated to health if all it does is nothing?
What, exactly, do you think WHO does?

They had the genome sequenced and test kits available by January 23. They declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on January 30.

Is it WHO's fault that Trump was saying he wasn't worried at all about the coronavirus even as late as March 7? “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, we’ve done a great job with it.”

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,257.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

They had the genome sequenced and test kits available by January 23. They declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on January 30.

Is it WHO's fault that Trump was saying he wasn't worried at all about the coronavirus even as late as March 7? “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, we’ve done a great job with it.”

https://www.who.int/governance/eb/who_constitution_en.pdf

Kinda failing this part

"The extension to all peoples of the benefits of medical, psychological and related knowledge is essential to the fullest attainment of health."

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

We already have a thread about that, including a bunch of us picking it apart. In one of the more amusing parts of that test, the US got a bunch of points for having systems in place that would enable federal authorities to effectively communicate with the population. What it didn’t account for was Trump using those very systems to ramble on like an idiot with inconsistent messaging based more on his hunches than on facts.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟99,257.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Also this

CHAPTER II – FUNCTIONS Article 2 In order to achieve its objective, the functions of the Organization shall be: (a) to act as the directing and co-ordinating authority on international health work;

• Informative
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,756.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When you notice all the main players except Trump are connected and were so, long before this 'pandemic', you might get a glimmer of what is going on and why the response was so slow. It would serve them no purpose to nip this in the bud as past outbreaks were handled. Add to the mix that if US funding were stopped or reduced that would put the second highest contributor, Bill Gates, in financial control of world health. His agenda should be in the spotlight, not Trump's manipulation.There is an agenda with these government funded but not controlled foundations. The need to create a market for their healthcare..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,388,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The president has repeatedly denied responsibility and sought to blame China, the Obama administration and the media. On Tuesday, with the US death toll exceeding 12,000, he unleashed a tirade at the WHO, even though it raised the alarm in January, after which he made statements downplaying it and comparing it to the common flu.​

Scapegoating is Tump's MO. He has gotten away with it his entire life so why would he take accountability for his lack of action now? And his supporters play right along with it. I fully expect to see a plethora of threads attacking the W.H.O.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree