Trump trashes CDC's fact-based guidance on reopening schools; CDC will rewrite them (or will it?)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

After President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday that he disagreed with US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for safely reopening schools because they are "very tough" and "expensive," the agency said it would issue new recommendations next week.

"I disagree with @CDCgov on their very tough & expensive guidelines for opening schools. While they want them open, they are asking schools to do very impractical things. I will be meeting with them!!!" the President tweeted.

During a press briefing a few hours later, Vice President Mike Pence said the CDC would issue new guidance on reopening schools next week. Both he and the CDC's director said the agency's recommendations should not be viewed as a barrier to returning children to classrooms.

Next week, we'll get the alternative-fact-based guidance.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
LINK

After President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday that he disagreed with US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for safely reopening schools because they are "very tough" and "expensive," the agency said it would issue new recommendations next week.

"I disagree with @CDCgov on their very tough & expensive guidelines for opening schools. While they want them open, they are asking schools to do very impractical things. I will be meeting with them!!!" the President tweeted.

During a press briefing a few hours later, Vice President Mike Pence said the CDC would issue new guidance on reopening schools next week. Both he and the CDC's director said the agency's recommendations should not be viewed as a barrier to returning children to classrooms.

Next week, we'll get the alternative-fact-based guidance.
In a similar trump tweet about opening schools, he cited Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden as examples of countries that have opened their schools to their students. The response from Germans, Danes and Norwegians was pretty brutal. The pointed out that their countries got the virus reasonably well under control BEFORE they opened the schools. Something the trump administration has failed to do and almost seems to discourage doing.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Since when is saving lives impractical? Children may be less likely to contract the disease but those who do will spread it to their families, their grandparents, their teachers, their daycare workers, etc.

Trump only looks at one factor: money. He is personally bleeding green because he is a hotelier and golf resort owner, who reputedly was heavily leveraged before this crisis.

His views are so transparently selfish.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump is a disaster. It's hard to picture a person more ill-equipped to respond to the pandemic than him.

I still can't believe anyone actually supports that buffoon.

"supported"? That is past tense. Some still do. That is truly unbelievable.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
"supported"? That is past tense. Some still do. That is truly unbelievable.
Some is wrong, too. Most people who supported him in 2016 are fully invested. Stopping to support him would be like admitting they were wrong. MAGA!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's time to impeach and remove Trump: no excuses. We can't endure another 6 months of this as a country. Now he's asking us to offer up our children and families to his cult of death.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's time to impeach and remove Trump: no excuses. We can't endure another 6 months of this as a country. Now he's asking us to offer up our children and families to his cult of death.
Sadly there is even less chance of that now than earlier in the year. All we can hope for is that enough people will wake up come November.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The cult needs it's scarifices.

I remember reading somewhere (sorry, can't provide a citation) that some of the Aztec sacrifices were actually Aztec people willing to let their beating hearts get ripped out of their bodies "for the good of the community". Sometimes I think trump supporters are of the same mindset. The Lieutenant Governor of Texas would be a good example of that, gladly willing to die from coronavirus if it gets trump reelected.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Update: CDC will not revise guidelines for schools reopening despite Trump criticism

Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said that the guidelines for reopening schools will not be revised, but additional reference documents will be provided.

“Our guidelines are our guidelines, but we are going to provide additional reference documents to aid basically communities that are trying to open K-through-12s,” Redfield said on Good Morning America Thursday. “It’s not a revision of the guidelines; it’s just to provide additional information to help schools be able to use the guidance we put forward.”

The guidelines will not be changed, however we will offer additional lines of guidance.

Some context: Redfield's comments come a day after President Trump tweeted Wednesday that he disagreed with CDC guidelines for safely reopening schools because they are "very tough" and "expensive."

During a press briefing a few hours later, Vice President Mike Pence said the CDC would issue new guidance on reopening schools next week.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the FT tracking it looks like the death-rate is starting to climb again. Could just be noise in the signal, but considering that the case numbers, hospitalizations etc. are increasing faster than testing rates it is not looking good.

I assume that events will overtake the Trump administration attempts to force schools to reopen and, in fact, the economy will probably shut down again completely.

If only we'd taken the time back in April to do the hard work necessary to weather the storm we might have had a shot of our economy surviving this year. I'm glad I shifted my 401k away from stocks.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If Trump wants to reopen the schools safely, he better get out his checkbook so they can.

Remember when America thought schools needed to put in armed guards and "hardened" infrastructure to handle the mass shootings? We are developing a very long and expensive list of upgrades for our schools. I don't hold out a lot of hope for any of that being funded sufficiently.

But, on the other side, school will soon become the single most dangerous place to visit outside of the Chernobyl Exclusion zone!

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sadly there is even less chance of that now than earlier in the year. All we can hope for is that enough people will wake up come November.

Yeah at this point elections are looking to be the only cure. Thankfully the GOP and Trump administration are working to eliminate vote-by-mail (with the obvious exception for folks like Trump) so that come November, when COVID is raging again even moreso than it is now voting will become a "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" scenario.

And nothing says "Dedication to the Democratic Process" like American voting participation...even in the SAFE times.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Remember when America thought schools needed to put in armed guards and "hardened" infrastructure to handle the mass shootings? We are developing a very long and expensive list of upgrades for our schools. I don't hold out a lot of hope for any of that being funded sufficiently.

But, on the other side, school will soon become the single most dangerous place to visit outside of the Chernobyl Exclusion zone!
Nah, all we need to do is to arm the teachers. After all what could go wrong with an amateur with a gun in a room filled with obnoxious adolescents?

• Winner
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nah, all we need to do is to arm the teachers. After all what could go wrong with an amateur with a gun in a room filled with obnoxious adolescents?

AND if we are lucky the armed teachers can just SHOOT THE CORONA VIRUSES out of the air with their guns!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Chernobyl just has a healthy glow. On the other hand, it's hard to describe what America has become in polite company. I believe Trump himself had some colorful words at one time about such countries.

Upvote 0