• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Trump to stop ‘catch-and-release’ of migrants, will hold them during immigration proceedings

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by NightHawkeye, Aug 21, 2019.

1. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+8,312
    Methodist
    Married
    Trump to stop ‘catch-and-release’ of migrants, will hold them during immigration proceedings

The plan, to be announced Wednesday, closes a legal loophole that requires the release of illegal immigrants after 20 days in custody, a “catch-and-release” quirk of the U.S. immigration system that so-called coyotes and smugglers have used to sell their services for up to $10,000 a person.
    Pro-reform advocates who have been critical of the 1997 Flores settlement heralded the administration’s move Tuesday night.

“This fix is arguably the single most important of the series of interlocking actions the Trump administration has taken to address the border influx,” said Jessica M. Vaughan, director of policy studies for the Center for Immigration Studies.

“This will make a big difference; one of the main incentives for people to come illegally with kids has been the guarantee of release after no more than a brief detention, and this will untie the government’s hands, and ensure humane treatment of the migrants as well. It was ludicrous that a single, overzealous judge has facilitated this influx, which has caused so many problems in so many American communities, so Trump is right to step in and negate her interpretation,” she said
    :oldthumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+3,116
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    Concentration camps in truth SMH:sigh:

3. JohnAshton

JohnAshton Well-Known Member

+482
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Internment camps, for sure.

4. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+8,312
    Methodist
    Married
    Perhaps a great big hotel ... with a beautiful fancy door.

5. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+9,536
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Remarkably, if this amounts to the creation of 'refugee camps' with adequate care and facilities, it might be okay with me (at least in the case of those claiming refugee status). I just never thought I'd see the day that Republicans would want to pay for room and board of thousands of idle people, rather than exploiting them in their chicken factories and farm fields. Who am I kidding? Trump has hardly paid for a thing in his life.

Of course, in reality, this is Trump hamfistedly trying to edge around a Supreme Court decision with a 'rule change'. He's lost in the courts several times already, and there's no reason to believe he'll succeed this time.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie

+80
    Baptist
    Single
    Let's remember who caused this problem, Obama completely ignoring the law of the land.

The Dem leaders are hypocrites!!! Pointing a finger at Trump for a problem they created, and have the gall to do absolutely nothing to help solve the problem.

The agenda is ousting Trump and anything or anybody is fair game! They have no limits to their hypocrisy.

7. essentialsaltes

+9,536
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    In this particular case, the 'problem' Trump wants to fix is the Flores Supreme Court ruling, which was written by noted liberal Justice Scalia, and the following consent decree signed in 1997. Obama was following the law of the land.

8. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie

+80
    Baptist
    Single
    We wouldn't even be discussing this, but for the Dem-backed "catch and release." There would be no problem to discuss.

9. essentialsaltes

+9,536
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    From the OP article
    The plan, to be announced Wednesday, closes a legal loophole that requires the release of illegal immigrants after 20 days in custody, a “catch-and-release” quirk of the U.S. immigration system

The move, to be announced by acting Homeland Secretary Kevin McAleenan and Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, would “terminate” the legal “Flores Settlement Ruling” by establishing new standards for caring for migrants and their children.

This 'loophole' of 'catch-and-release' is a consequence of the Supreme Court ruling. It is not 'Dem-backed'; it is the law of the land.

10. JohnAshton

+482
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Have you forgotten that the Obama administration deported far more illegals than any administration before?

Have you forgotten their is no 'open doors policy' by any Dem. Only the Repubs talk about such a policy that does not exist.

Yes, the agenda is to keep Trump, that monumental failure, at any cost necessary.

An example of the "at any cost" thinking is the nonsense ending the 'catch and release' rule, which in fact is a SCOTUS ruling, and thus the law. Courts will overturn Trump's new 'rule.'

11. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie

+80
    Baptist
    Single
    Yes, that is one of few things I give credit to Obama.

I see that you hold Christian values, and I assume you are a democrat from your post.

If I'm correct, how can a christian vote the democrat ballot with a clear conscience?

I ask because I have wondered for many years how that can be.

12. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+5,041
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Same is wondered if Republicans.

And Trump? Pffffft

13. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie

+80
    Baptist
    Single
    But seriously, how do you justify placing your seal of approval on abortion? Where does God stand on that issue?

14. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+9,941
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    LOL! You have just become an instance (the first, I think) of "Cow's Law" a brand-new corollary to Godwin's Law named here in CF only yesterday. Congratulations.:clap:

15. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+5,041
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Is that the only issue that exists within America to you?

16. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie

+80
    Baptist
    Single
    Thanks!

17. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie

+80
    Baptist
    Single
    It's the one issue that should weigh heavy on any Christians mind before voting.

18. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+9,941
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Not on topic for this thread, but since you bring it up...

Mendacious statements like that are one reason those of us who disapprove of abortion and regard it as a sin are reluctant to cooperate with right-wing religious ideologues in passing punitive and impractical legislation against it.

19. Charlie24

Charlie24 Newbie

+80
    Baptist
    Single
    "Reluctant to cooperate" hmmmm. Makes no sense at all!

I'm going along with this sin because I don't like the way someone else is pushing against it.

20. JohnAshton

+482
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    JohnAshton said: Have you forgotten that the Obama administration deported far more illegals than any administration before?

Have you forgotten their is no 'open doors policy' by any Dem. Only the Repubs talk about such a policy that does not exist.

Yes, the agenda is to keep Trump, that monumental failure, at any cost necessary.

An example of the "at any cost" thinking is the nonsense ending the 'catch and release' rule, which in fact is a SCOTUS ruling, and thus the law. Courts will overturn Trump's new 'rule.'
    I am a centrist, voting for the right candidates from both parties.

However, I do believe more Christians in America vote blue than red, with the caveat that a majority of evangelical Christians generally vote red.

Neither party is of God nor Satan. Our government is secular. Believers get no more special consideration than non-believers. That is the American way.