Trump to stop ‘catch-and-release’ of migrants, will hold them during immigration proceedings

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Trump to stop ‘catch-and-release’ of migrants, will hold them during immigration proceedings

The plan, to be announced Wednesday, closes a legal loophole that requires the release of illegal immigrants after 20 days in custody, a “catch-and-release” quirk of the U.S. immigration system that so-called coyotes and smugglers have used to sell their services for up to $10,000 a person.
Pro-reform advocates who have been critical of the 1997 Flores settlement heralded the administration’s move Tuesday night.

“This fix is arguably the single most important of the series of interlocking actions the Trump administration has taken to address the border influx,” said Jessica M. Vaughan, director of policy studies for the Center for Immigration Studies.

“This will make a big difference; one of the main incentives for people to come illegally with kids has been the guarantee of release after no more than a brief detention, and this will untie the government’s hands, and ensure humane treatment of the migrants as well. It was ludicrous that a single, overzealous judge has facilitated this influx, which has caused so many problems in so many American communities, so Trump is right to step in and negate her interpretation,” she said
:oldthumbsup:

Last edited:

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Remarkably, if this amounts to the creation of 'refugee camps' with adequate care and facilities, it might be okay with me (at least in the case of those claiming refugee status). I just never thought I'd see the day that Republicans would want to pay for room and board of thousands of idle people, rather than exploiting them in their chicken factories and farm fields. Who am I kidding? Trump has hardly paid for a thing in his life.

Of course, in reality, this is Trump hamfistedly trying to edge around a Supreme Court decision with a 'rule change'. He's lost in the courts several times already, and there's no reason to believe he'll succeed this time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Let's remember who caused this problem, Obama completely ignoring the law of the land.

The Dem leaders are hypocrites!!! Pointing a finger at Trump for a problem they created, and have the gall to do absolutely nothing to help solve the problem.

The agenda is ousting Trump and anything or anybody is fair game! They have no limits to their hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Let's remember who caused this problem, Obama completely ignoring the law of the land.

In this particular case, the 'problem' Trump wants to fix is the Flores Supreme Court ruling, which was written by noted liberal Justice Scalia, and the following consent decree signed in 1997. Obama was following the law of the land.

• Haha
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In this particular case, the 'problem' Trump wants to fix is the Flores Supreme Court ruling, which was written by noted liberal Justice Scalia, and the following consent decree signed in 1997. Obama was following the law of the land.

We wouldn't even be discussing this, but for the Dem-backed "catch and release." There would be no problem to discuss.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We wouldn't even be discussing this, but for the Dem-backed "catch and release." There would be no problem to discuss.

From the OP article
The plan, to be announced Wednesday, closes a legal loophole that requires the release of illegal immigrants after 20 days in custody, a “catch-and-release” quirk of the U.S. immigration system

The move, to be announced by acting Homeland Secretary Kevin McAleenan and Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, would “terminate” the legal “Flores Settlement Ruling” by establishing new standards for caring for migrants and their children.

This 'loophole' of 'catch-and-release' is a consequence of the Supreme Court ruling. It is not 'Dem-backed'; it is the law of the land.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

The Dem leaders are hypocrites!!! Pointing a finger at Trump for a problem they created, and have the gall to do absolutely nothing to help solve the problem.

The agenda is ousting Trump and anything or anybody is fair game! They have no limits to their hypocrisy.
Have you forgotten that the Obama administration deported far more illegals than any administration before?

Have you forgotten their is no 'open doors policy' by any Dem. Only the Repubs talk about such a policy that does not exist.

Yes, the agenda is to keep Trump, that monumental failure, at any cost necessary.

An example of the "at any cost" thinking is the nonsense ending the 'catch and release' rule, which in fact is a SCOTUS ruling, and thus the law. Courts will overturn Trump's new 'rule.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Have you forgotten that the Obama administration deported far more illegals than any administration before?

Have you forgotten their is no 'open doors policy' by any Dem. Only the Repubs talk about such a policy that does not exist.

Yes, the agenda is to keep Trump, that monumental failure, at any cost necessary.

An example of the "at any cost" thinking is the nonsense ending the 'catch and release' rule, which in fact is a SCOTUS ruling, and thus the law. Courts will overturn Trump's new 'rule.'
Yes, that is one of few things I give credit to Obama.

I see that you hold Christian values, and I assume you are a democrat from your post.

If I'm correct, how can a christian vote the democrat ballot with a clear conscience?

I ask because I have wondered for many years how that can be.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

I see that you hold Christian values, and I assume you are a democrat from your post.

If I'm correct, how can a christian vote the democrat ballot with a clear conscience?

Same is wondered if Republicans.

And Trump? Pffffft

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

LOL! You have just become an instance (the first, I think) of "Cow's Law" a brand-new corollary to Godwin's Law named here in CF only yesterday. Congratulations.:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
But seriously, how do you justify placing your seal of approval on abortion? Where does God stand on that issue?
Not on topic for this thread, but since you bring it up...

Mendacious statements like that are one reason those of us who disapprove of abortion and regard it as a sin are reluctant to cooperate with right-wing religious ideologues in passing punitive and impractical legislation against it.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Not on topic for this thread, but since you bring it up...

Mendacious statements like that are one reason those of us who disapprove of abortion and regard it as a sin are reluctant to cooperate with right-wing religious ideologues in passing punitive and impractical legislation against it.

"Reluctant to cooperate" hmmmm. Makes no sense at all!

I'm going along with this sin because I don't like the way someone else is pushing against it.

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
JohnAshton said: Have you forgotten that the Obama administration deported far more illegals than any administration before?

I am a centrist, voting for the right candidates from both parties.

However, I do believe more Christians in America vote blue than red, with the caveat that a majority of evangelical Christians generally vote red.

Neither party is of God nor Satan. Our government is secular. Believers get no more special consideration than non-believers. That is the American way.

Upvote 0