Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As is often the case with people that devote themselves to supporting Trump. Eventually Trump throws them under the bus.

Trump generated a frenzied anger in his supporters. Telling them that the 2020 presidential election was stolen by the Democrats. He put on quite a show, on TV, at his rallies, through Twitter, with his "lawyers" travelling the country, appearing on TV, doing a mock hearing, and putting forth large numbers of court cases.

Calling the State electors and Secretary to convince them to ignore the votes and side in his favour. (was the phone call recording released by Trump or the other party?).

Then, on the day that congress was to perform the ceremonial count. Trump gets up on stage in front of his supporters and urges them to march to Capitol. Telling them he will be right there with them (does he mean this literally or figuratively?)

So, they go to Capitol as instructed by their idol. Furious and with intent to be strong and to get the Republican congressmen to support Trump and to overturn the election.
They are doing this for Trump.

A few hours later Trump releases this
"The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy"

He then separates himself from those supporters/demonstrators.
"My campaign vigorously pursued every legal avenue to contest the election results..."

I'd feel betrayed if I were one of his supporters.
Trump told them to take the Capitol, he said he would be right their with them.
He obviously wasn't there in person (so not literally) but now he abandons them in the figurative sense too.
Shouldn't they have been expected to get a presidential pardon for trying to overturn the election in his favour, in a one final last ditch effort, as they had been instructed by him to do so?

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well hardcore Trump people arent just going to come out into the light eyes blinking with wonder after the demise of "the only man who can save this nation".

No, Parler or some west-of-W forum will anoint another...... and they will bow down. Might be hard to find a real replacement tho. I mean Donald was a genuine media personality.

(Also, it obvious this unenthusiastic speech was prepared by loyal staff who knew he had no choice.)

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,687.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
As I reflect on the events of the past few days and the last four years I reach the conclusion that Carlos Linnaeus has a lot to answer for. He was the one who classified humans as Homo sapiens, wise man. Apparently not.

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I distinctly remember Trump’s former lawyer and long time fixer Michael Cohen issuing a warning to Republicans who defend Trump when he testified in Congress just before he went to prison for his former client.

“I did the same thing you’re doing now for 10 years. I protected Mr Trump for 10 years. I can only warn people. The more people that follow Mr Trump - as I did blindly - are going to suffer the same consequences that I’m suffering.”

Upvote 0