Trump threatens to withhold funding from MI and NV for sending out absentee ballot applicaitons.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Just like Ukraine, President Trump can’t withheld fund for WHO or MI , as both funds are allocated by Congress. That is unlawful. But as we have seen GOP lead Senate doesn’t care if Trump breaks the law, nothing will be done to correct that. Only way Americans can stop Trump and Republican unlawful act is on November 6.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
This is probably a stupid thing to say, but with so many credible state governors I don't understand WHY America still has a president. America is a whole world within one country, why can't the governors work independently but with each other?

We only have a Prime Minster because the UK is so small. I think it'd be a good move for America to just operate like Europe.

I'm not saying that I believe this should happen, I'm more thinking out loud...

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,185,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is probably a stupid thing to say, but with so many credible state governors I don't understand WHY America still has a president. America is a whole world within one country, why can't the governors work independently but with each other?
A number have been. In the midst of this crisis and the inept, at best, federal response to it, a number of states have made ad hoc inter state compacts to step up and do what is needed.

• Informative
Reactions: ReesePiece23
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
....why does Trump seek to undermine faith in our election process?

...and as usual, he is deliberately misleading his followers

“Michigan sends absentee ballots to 7.7 million people ahead of Primaries and the General Election,” the president tweeted Wednesday morning. “This was done illegally and without authorization by a rogue Secretary of State. I will ask to hold up funding to Michigan if they want to go down this Voter Fraud path!”

“I was notified about the tweet this morning and it caught me off guard because it of course was inaccurate,” Ms. Benson, a Democrat, said in an interview. “It is nothing different from what my Republican colleagues in other states are doing. It boggles my mind, that this, which is completely within my authority, would in any way be seen as controversial.”

...noting the GOP recently won a California district....conducted by mail in ballot...

Trump Steps Up Attacks on Mail Vote, Making False Claims About Fraud

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

We are already doing that here on the Pacific coast, where I live (California). Our governor, Gavin Newsom, even called us a "nation state" in his comments on our approach to Covid-19, which differs considerably from and is in conflict with the federal plan (whatever the heck that even is).

Edit: We are officially in a pact with similarly-minded Oregon and Washington called The Western States Pact. We will not be hamstrung by DC's incompetence or Trump's erratic and crazy ramblings.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We are already doing that here on the Pacific coast, where I live (California). Our governor, Gavin Newsom, even called us a "nation state" in his comments on our approach to Covid-19, which differs considerably from and is in conflict with the federal plan (whatever the heck that even is).

Edit: We are officially in a pact with similarly-minded Oregon and Washington called The Western States Pact. We will not be hamstrung by DC's incompetence or Trump's erratic and crazy ramblings.

They might even let you join Cascadia if you’re lucky. ;)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder under what authority he plans to withhold funds, or what funds he plans to withhold.
I was wondering under what authority those secretaries of state or governors sent out absentee ballots or applications for them when the recipients had made no request.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is probably a stupid thing to say, but with so many credible state governors I don't understand WHY America still has a president.

It's not as stupid as you might think -- the GOP has traditionally favored "states' rights" over the federal government, but in general, the notion that the fed is useless and unnecessary only seems to ring true when they're running it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering under what authority those secretaries of state or governors sent out absentee ballots or applications for them when the recipients had made no request.

Probably under the authority of the Americans With Disabilities Act, which requires state and local governments to insure that all eligible voters have a full and equal opportunity to vote.... which, by Donald's own admission, would be disasterous for the GOP... hence his threats.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The conduct of elections is a matter of state law, so it would be a question of the particular state you were interested in.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

We only have a Prime Minster because the UK is so small. I think it'd be a good move for America to just operate like Europe.

I'm not saying that I believe this should happen, I'm more thinking out loud...

We like the idea “United States of America” not “ Independent state of Wisconsin / Republic of Michigan”

Last I checked Brexit is not going so well …..! We defiantly don’t want a our version of “Brexit” “USAExit” . We may fight between the states but we like the USA!

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's ironic, really. The ancestors of Trump's supporters fought a war for States' Rights. The descendants mourn the loss of that cause and give lip service to it still. Yet when something doesn't go their way they are willing to toss even the states' rights granted by the Constitution their forebears rejected into the trash.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
We like the idea “United States of America” not “ Independent state of Wisconsin / Republic of Michigan”

Last I checked Brexit is not going so well …..! We defiantly don’t want a our version of “Brexit” “USAExit” . We may fight between the states but we like the USA!

Brexit? Lol, well that comedy of errors can be traced back to Cameron being a complete moron. May, who 'couldn't cope' basically fell on his sword, and crashed out after only two years in office leaving it for everyone else to clean up.

The EU is a good thing to be IN - a large amount of 'out' voters didn't even know why they were voting. It'll go down as the biggest balls up in British history (if not in the history of world politics - no matter what the UK does now, we'll never be able to shake off the L).

In my opinion, your current 'president' has done more to divide your great country than anyone else. He's only interested in number one. Whereas the state governors and city mayors seem to be suturing it together nicely.

That's my definition of UNITED.

Again, I'm very much thinking out loud. I'm not expecting anyone to agree with me or hold any weight on what I'm saying.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's ironic, really. The ancestors of Trump's supporters fought a war for States' Rights. The descendants mourn the loss of that cause and give lip service to it still. Yet when something doesn't go their way they are willing to toss even the states' rights granted by the Constitution their forebears rejected into the trash.

It's not that off brand exactly.

The states rights argument was always specious. The civil war happened exactly when the southern states could no longer dominate the national politics to get their own way. The states that rebelled did so after simply losing an election, and not in fact, any specific rights.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Just like Ukraine, President Trump can’t withheld fund for WHO or MI , as both funds are allocated by Congress. That is unlawful. But as we have seen GOP lead Senate doesn’t care if Trump breaks the law, nothing will be done to correct that. Only way Americans can stop Trump and Republican unlawful act is on November 6.

The Congress would have to have the backbone to actually hold the president accountable for ignoring their wishes.

Right now that system is completely broken.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...no ballots were sent.

ballots.jpg

Upvote 0