Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd be rather interested in seeing that happen. There might be a precedent in Eisenhower calling in the National Guard to enforce integration requirements in southern states in opposition to local and state government, but those were very limited in scope and temporary in nature. This would require a few thousand of troops in a deployment of at least a decade to resolve the underlying issues...I'd be interested in seeing it attempted.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd be rather interested in seeing that happen. There might be a precedent in Eisenhower calling in the National Guard to enforce integration requirements in southern states in opposition to local and state government, but those were very limited in scope and temporary in nature.
Wouldn't that be a tad illegal, under the Posse Comitatus Act?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wouldn't that be a tad illegal, under the Posse Comitatus Act?

Unfortunately, Ronald Reagan severely undermined Posse Comitatus by Executive Order without a response by the Judicial or Legislative Branches. But federal involvement in law enforcement was "under the radar" of Americans at that time; I knew about it because my military unit was one of those tapped.

As I said, I'd be interested in seeing how that would play out in the courts.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Martial Law: N. "military government involving the suspension of ordinary law."

Part of what I'd be interested in seeing played out in the courts is whether the president can order martial law for a region over the objection of the state. No truly "conservative" court would allow that to happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Part of what I'd be interested in seeing played out in the courts is whether the president can order martial law for a region over the objection of the state. No truly "conservative" court would allow that to happen.
Not seeing how ... or why ... Trump would order martial law in Chicago. He's said no such thing. What he did say apparently related to recommending a consultant to the police department.

It would appear, however, that the Department of Justice does have a measure of authority it can wield to maintain law and order in Chicago. After all, doesn't murder violate one's civil rights?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And of course this ignores the huge federal presence already in Chicago. I think all the major agencies have a field office here.
There ya have it.

With offices already there all Trump has to do is send more staffers in. So what's the issue? :scratch:

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What good is sending in a couple dozen more federal agents going to do?
All it usually takes is one.
ranger2.jpg

Upvote 0