Trump threatens government shutdown over wall.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If we apply that analogy to Trump's wall, does that mean it's as much to keep Americans in as it is to keep Mexicans out?

I was giving a response to what Kutte said in post #21. Notice the context of that discussion.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's what counter proposals are about. I asked if anyone knew if they had made one. I'd been busy this week, and had not heard of one yet.

Mature legislators do that too. It's part of the job.
Do you think that it is alright to withhold funding from healthcare, a contract that has been made with many people and insurance companies through the government exchange, if he doesn't get funding for the wall?

I'm really not surprised though. When he was operating his private businesses he didn't see why he should have to honor contracts if he didn't want to.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet the last time this happened, the dems had the White House and Senate. But just because the Republicans had the House, they got the blame.
Who in the House held it up? I believe it was Ted Cruz, wasn't it? Green Eggs and Ham.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Who in the House held it up? I believe it was Ted Cruz, wasn't it? Green Eggs and Ham.

Just before that time, the Republicans had vowed to defund Obamacare before it got too much of a foothold. The majority of Republicans then seemed to not be so interested in following through. At least Ted Cruz did what he could, even if the rest didn't. Now Obamacare has a foothold, and we might be stuck with it.

In case you don't remember, stopping Obamacare is the promise that got the Republicans the congress in the midterm election following its implementation. But they didn't follow through on that promise, which is why people were upset enough to reject all establishment politicians running for president and chose Donald Trump.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just before that time, the Republicans had vowed to defund Obamacare before it got too much of a foothold. The majority of Republicans then seemed to not be so interested in following through. At least Ted Cruz did what he could, even if the rest didn't. Now Obamacare has a foothold, and we might be stuck with it.

In case you don't remember, stopping Obamacare is the promise that got the Republicans the congress in the midterm election following its implementation. But they didn't follow through on that promise, which is why people were upset enough to reject all establishment politicians running for president and chose Donald Trump.

IMO, Trump won because enough people on both sides, were simply fed up with establishment/elitist politicians.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
IMO, Trump won because enough people on both sides, were simply fed up with establishment/elitist politicians.

That's basically what my point was about how Trump won. Granted, it wasn't just fed-up Republicans that were frustrated. Plenty on the democrat side were frustrated as well, as evidenced by the fact that Sanders was so successful. When Sanders didn't get the nomination, many were even more frustrated that they were stuck with an establishment politician, and so crossed over the isle to someone who at least wasn't part of the establishment, even if he wasn't part of their party.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's basically what my point was about how Trump won. Granted, it wasn't just fed-up Republicans that were frustrated. Plenty on the democrat side were frustrated as well, as evidenced by the fact that Sanders was so successful. When Sanders didn't get the nomination, many were even more frustrated that they were stuck with an establishment politician, and so crossed over the isle to someone who at least wasn't part of the establishment, even if he wasn't part of their party.

When Sanders beat Clinton in some of those crucial rust belt states, when the polls showed Clinton ahead, it was a real big clue that many people missed of what was to come.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that it is alright to withhold funding from healthcare, a contract that has been made with many people and insurance companies through the government exchange, if he doesn't get funding for the wall?

I believe he was asking dollar for dollar. 1/dollar for healthcare 1/dollar for wall. We all know he is going to do what he has to in order to get that started. The legislation already happened for it years ago. They neglected the funding for political purposes. I think parts of it will happen personally. If they choose NOT work with it, and healthcare gets worse? Hatred for the President isn't going to fly to more circles than they are counting on. It will bite them hard.

Hopefully - I know I'm dreaming - both parties will come together to help healthcare. Both sides acknowledge it needs help, but working together for the sake of the country? Who knows at this point. I don't think that is fair to NOT help that program, because evil sits on the other side of the aisle. They need to stop acting like babies - both sides - and look at this from the point of view of the people. The people aren't as stupid as they counting on. Yes, I think they are arrogant - all of them. Politicians BLECK!

They all have their lifetime benefits, and so they all can afford to drag their feet. Many in this country can't. They aren't acting like they care. We need more than their normal drama.

Some states have one choice for companies, and it could be none soon. To many still have no healthcare, and can't afford it. Not to many families can afford two mortgage payments. All I have seen so far is people yacking about those that have it for the first time in response, and that's not fair either. That doesn't acknowledge those that would take healthcare, but can't afford the second mortgage payment to make it possible. We were told the costs would go down, and way too many went UP to the point they had to drop it! We are going backwards, and people refuse to work on because of their hatred over the red hair demon? It's nonsense. I mean grow up already! These are people's lives we are talking about.

I think both sides have sections that are being unrealistic. The GOP side when it comes to certain substudies are dreaming if they think all of them are just going away. The DEM side needs to get over this 'I won't do anything since he is President' deal. Both sides are hurting the country, and OUR healthcare system.

Both sides need to give. It's not all about them.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was giving a response to what Kutte said in post #21. Notice the context of that discussion.

Indeed -- Kutte's context involved Christ. Yours did not.

Nor did mine, for that matter, but what's your point?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It amazes me that the republican party controls every single aspect of US government and still can't get anything done.

How are they accomplishing this?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

All the Republicans have to do is propose something better. Why do you think they haven't?

And Trump has made the exact same promise, proving that people will fall for the same lie many times over.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I have always liked a good wall and all good free societies have had them. The Berlin Wall, The Iron Curtain, and so forth. I am pleased that the Republicans, both the politicians and their supporters, want to emulate such great and free societies like East Germany and the Soviet Union.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have always liked a good wall and all good free societies have had them. The Berlin Wall, The Iron Curtain, and so forth. I am pleased that the Republicans, both the politicians and their supporters, want to emulate such great and free societies like East Germany and the Soviet Union.

China, too. We should be so lucky as to emulate them and their amazing chicken dishes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
China, too. We should be so lucky as to emulate them and their amazing chicken dishes.
Let's be fair, China actually was great when they built that wall, and they had a pretty good run after that, too.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Indeed -- Kutte's context involved Christ. Yours did not.

Nor did mine, for that matter, but what's your point?

The point is that your question lacks understanding of what was being discussed, along with the context of my answer. Therefore, it would be off-topic to entertain your question.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Don't forget Israel. They may not have a wall, but a fence to keep people from coming in without knowing who they are. Whether a wall or a fence or force field, it accomplishes the same thing.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget Israel. They may not have a wall, but a fence to keep people from coming in without knowing who they are. Whether a wall or a fence or force field, it accomplishes the same thing.

They also deploy the IDF along that fence because they're smart enough to know that a fence/wall is only something that delays people attempting to get over and that delay gives the IDF a chance to get to them because of that delay.

People here seem to think it's going to be a magic wall, that repels people with a certain amount of melanin.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Erm republicans are in charge of both houses, and the presidency. If there's a shutdown the buck stops with them.
To be fair, that is unless the Dems filibuster. In that case, you can blame them. But if the party in control of the executive branch and both parts of the legislative branch can't come up with a budget that it can find itself in agreement on, then yeah, it's on them.

Upvote 0