Trump threatens government shutdown over wall.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hi Aryeh,

They (Mexico) promised to pay for the wall? When? Where? Besides I think building a wall to a neighbor is not only against the teachings of Jesus Christ (to love your neighbor as yourself) but also a dumb thing to do.
God bless

I have a fence up to keep my dog in. I don't want my neighbor to have to deal with his dookie.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In other words: "He won the election so we should give him everything he wants..."

Question: Noting that the Republicans control both houses of Congress, why is Trump threatening the Democrats with a government shutdown -- his government, btw -- if he doesn't get what he wants?

When Obama was in the White House, why was it the Republicans who were blamed for shutdown? Now the Republicans are in charge, and they get blamed again. Don't democrats take responsibility for anything?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Aryeh,

They (Mexico) promised to pay for the wall? When? Where? Besides I think building a wall to a neighbor is not only against the teachings of Jesus Christ (to love your neighbor as yourself) but also a dumb thing to do.
God bless

It's not a neighbor we're talking about. It's another country. But even if we were actually talking about neighbors, there are plenty of good reasons for a wall or fence. Privacy is one, security is another. Keeping small kids from straying is also a legitimate reason, as is keeping a dog from getting out. It might depend upon the layout of your property as to how practical it is.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ever notice that it's just when the GOP can't get it's way in dismantling the government that it shuts down the government?

It's almost like the whole point of the GOP is to destroy the government.

I think we would agree that the government collects too much and spends even more. Way too many wasteful government programs that don't even accomplish much if anything. A government shut down is simply something that happens when a budget can't get passed as the result of the GOP wanting to cut back on the spending. Since the Dems never give in to spending cuts, the government "shuts down", which is a misnomer anyway since the things that shut down aren't even essential--which itself is a sign of wasteful spending that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It's not a neighbor we're talking about. It's another country. But even if we were actually talking about neighbors, there are plenty of good reasons for a wall or fence. Privacy is one, security is another. Keeping small kids from straying is also a legitimate reason, as is keeping a dog from getting out. It might depend upon the layout of your property as to how practical it is.

You're concerned about Mexican kids and chihuahuas?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You're concerned about Mexican kids and chihuahuas?

When I said, "Keeping small kids from straying is also a legitimate reason, as is keeping a dog from getting out", I was referring to keeping your own kids from straying out of your own yard, and keeping your own dog from getting out as well.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
When Obama was in the White House, why was it the Republicans who were blamed for shutdown? Now the Republicans are in charge, and they get blamed again. Don't democrats take responsibility for anything?

Since the 112th congress, Republicans controlled the house.

• Agree
Reactions: rdBGd5W99F
Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think we would agree that the government collects too much and spends even more. Way too many wasteful government programs that don't even accomplish much if anything.

And the GOP consistently attempts to reform these programs, to make them more efficient? Yeah. I thought not. It's always dismantle. Never reform. Never reorient or reassess.

I concede that there are programs that don't accomplish much. In far fewer cases would I concede that their mission statement or reason for existence is invalid.

I mean, for crying out loud a perpetual (financial wing) GOP goal is dismantling social security and medicare. These are programs that need to exist and they never talk about how to fix them. Only how to dismantle them.

A government shut down is simply something that happens when a budget can't get passed as the result of the GOP wanting to cut back on the spending.
Yes. And you believe that holding our government functions hostage is a valid negotiating tactic from a party bargaining in good faith?

Since the Dems never give in to spending cuts, the government "shuts down", which is a misnomer anyway since the things that shut down aren't even essential--which itself is a sign of wasteful spending that shouldn't be there in the first place.
That is simply not correct. The Dems have conceded to the GOP every time the GOP has shut down the government (3 or 4 times) or every time (twice) the GOP threatened to nuke the filibuster in the last 20 years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the GOP consistently attempts to reform these programs, to make them more efficient? Yeah. I thought not. It's always dismantle. Never reform. Never reorient or reassess.
Rather like this one stated in Trump's Budget "America First, A Budget Blueprint to Make American Great Again."

Improves Job Corps for the disadvantaged youth it serves by closing centers that do a poor job educating and preparing students for jobs.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/2018_blueprint.pdf

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,148,098.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Erm republicans are in charge of both houses, and the presidency. If there's a shutdown the buck stops with them.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Shrugs) Hopefully, the mature politicians come to the table to talk about issues. The grandstanding, name calling, and accusations is what tore up this election. People are tired of them (both sides) acting like high school kids.

I think it was last week they willing to fund $1 in Obamacare subsidies for every $1 that’s provided for the border wall as both parties look to avert a government shutdown next Friday.

I'm assuming - if they have not done so already - they came to the table with a counter offer. I've been a little busy, so I haven't read one yet. Besides the normal acting APPALLED at the offer - which seems to be the norm in politics - I'm interested in reading about it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
When Obama was in the White House, why was it the Republicans who were blamed for shutdown?

Because they shut it down over their proposed bill... Which, as you will recall, was Obamacare repeal attempt... what was it, number 43? 44? 45?

Now the Republicans are in charge, and they get blamed again.

Now that they're in charge? It was Congress that shut down the government over their refusal to pass a budget.... the Republicans were "in charge" of it then, just as they are now.

Don't democrats take responsibility for anything?

Not for the GOP's tantrums, or for their scorched-government policies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
When I said, "Keeping small kids from straying is also a legitimate reason, as is keeping a dog from getting out", I was referring to keeping your own kids from straying out of your own yard, and keeping your own dog from getting out as well.

If we apply that analogy to Trump's wall, does that mean it's as much to keep Americans in as it is to keep Mexicans out?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Shrugs) Hopefully, the mature politicians come to the table to talk about issues. The grandstanding, name calling, and accusations is what tore up this election. People are tired of them (both sides) acting like high school kids.

I think it was last week they willing to fund $1 in Obamacare subsidies for every $1 that’s provided for the border wall as both parties look to avert a government shutdown next Friday.

And I am tired of proposals like the above....

Deal with health care and border security separately...like mature legislators.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But it's the Art of the Deal, everything is on the table and all is fair in love, war, and business.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's what counter proposals are about. I asked if anyone knew if they had made one. I'd been busy this week, and had not heard of one yet.

Mature legislators do that too. It's part of the job.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Erm republicans are in charge of both houses, and the presidency. If there's a shutdown the buck stops with them.

Yet the last time this happened, the dems had the White House and Senate. But just because the Republicans had the House, they got the blame.

Upvote 0