Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Trump's lawyer's have argued that the release of his tax returns would cause him 'ireparable damage'. What might they be referring to?

The tax laws?
The source/s of his loans?
That he isn’t a billionaire?
His ego?

It’s a smorgasbord...:)

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
2016-11-17T02-44-42-266Z--1280x720.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

Every President for the last 50 years has released their tax returns in an attempt to be transparent - how can the American public have complete trust in the actions of any President when his/her private financial interests remain undisclosed?

Trump's recent controversial decision involving Turkey and the Kurds is a case in point, given that this President by his own admission in a 2015 interview stated that he had a financial "conflict of interest" when it comes to Turkey!

If this is just one of the conflicts that we can ascertain, how many other financial conflicts of interest are being withheld from public scrutiny?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,303.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Trump's lawyer's have argued that the release of his tax returns would cause him 'ireparable damage'. What might they be referring to?
That statement, in itself, seems immensely damaging. Of course, immensely may not mean irreparable. "Not when you have good people. Good lawyers. Let me tell you, I have some very good lawyers. Remarkable people. True."

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One could also conjecture that Trump prefers to donate in secret, according to Matthew 6:4. "so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." It would seem to me that this could be labelled irreparable harm, should Trump's giving be made public.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One could also conjecture that Trump prefers to donate in secret, according to Matthew 6:4. "so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." It would seem to me that this could be labelled irreparable harm, should Trump's giving be made public.

Do you think that charitable donations are the issue? What are your reasons for thinking that? Where Trump has made donations in the past he has tended to announce it with some fanfare, and on some occasions he has made a big noise about making a donation only to renege on it. In comparison to other celebrity types, he has tended to be rather miserly when it comes to donating cash. As he said himself, he is ‘greedy, greedy, greedy’ - he doesn’t like to give away the dollar unless it buys someone’s silence.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is a partial history of Trump’s ‘charitable(?)’ giving: Donald J. Trump Foundation - Wikipedia
The level of double dealing involved, with money given by Trump ending up back with Trump by circuitous means, is typical of his general dealing. You can find more examples of similarly public shows of giving without much substance if you dig around a bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you are right that there have been instances where Trump publicly announced and supported charities. Most rich people are expected to give and raise money for various causes. However, the possibility exists that there is some secret giving as well. I am sure too that many would scrutinize these possible donations especially as they would likely be biased toward certain kinds of non-profits.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, the man who sleeps with inappropriate content stars and then pays them off to silence them, the man who the courts found guilty of racial discrimination, the man who bragged of grabbing women’s genitals whenever he chose, the man who oversaw the locking up of children in cages.......would be harmed if people knew that he made donations.....??!

Please don’t kid...

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

To clarify then, if you give in secret to get rewarded by your God, and then through no fault of your own someone else reveals the secret, this God will withhold said reward.

Not a great look for God really, punishing the innocent.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God would not punish those who have their secret giving revealed, one should be a as practical as possible to hide your giving. I can't say if this is the case with Trump, but I was attempting to speculate with the glass half full, while many would rather to see the glass empty. I thank God for a President that puts in better SC justices, fights for better trade deals for American workers and is a good friend to Israel. I doubt that fits the narrative for what was intended in why tax returns might cause "irreparable harm," but it nonetheless is possible.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One COULD also conjecture that the sky is painted blue.

(you won't believe how long I was stuck ... looking for a comparable conjecture)

That "his majesty" could keep his mouth shut about anything he has ever done ... is simply too unbelievable to fathom ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are right that there have been instances where Trump publicly announced and supported charities. Most rich people are expected to give and raise money for various causes. However, the possibility exists that there is some secret giving as well. I am sure too that many would scrutinize these possible donations especially as they would likely be biased toward certain kinds of non-profits.
Have you been paying attention ?

For some reason, this conjecture that Trump might somehow, be a secret benefactor to needy causes or organizations is, simply, mind-boggling to me.

Nothing about Trump's life is even slightly indicative of this.

Warren Buffett and Bill Gates I can believe, but Trump ???

He is, unapologetically, the most self-centered personality I have encountered in 60 years of life. Only Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and their ilk are comparable. No wonder he is palsy with such as Putin and Kim Jong Un. Surviving Trump will be a true test of our democratic institutions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To clarify then, if you give in secret to get rewarded by your God, and then through no fault of your own someone else reveals the secret, this God will withhold said reward.

Not a great look for God really, punishing the innocent.
It's not an accurate reading ...

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,106.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Heh, the old "you can't use that evidence - it'll prove my client is guilty of the stuff you suspect he did" defense. That's sure to work.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Could be.

Upvote 0