• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump Tax Plan Gives Jobs Away to Robots and Will Increase Unemployment

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Fantine, Dec 4, 2017.

1. whatbogsends

whatbogsends Senior Veteran

+1,724
    Atheist
    Overall, I agree with much of what you said, but have to take some exception to the highlighted part. We/this country haven't elevated the business owner to sainthood and characterized the workers as greedy, envious graspers, most on the right have done so, and most on the left have soundly rejected that absurd notion.

2. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+5,572
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    But if many fewer people are employed they won't HAVE dollars to go further.

3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+2,867
    Non-Denom
    Single
    They can still be employed. When automation comes, then people are needed to program the machines, to build them, to maintain them. All the time, we have new technologies that are developed, and people are needed as a result. When the computer was invented, it was to make life easier and faster. Today, we have computers that do things only dreamed of in the past. Are there not jobs in existence today that are also a direct result of computers? I'm sure many people using this forum are employed right now directly as a result of computers--without which they would be either unemployed, or working somewhere else.

4. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+1,703
    Presbyterian
    Married
    That all requires intensive, specialized training. These robots are taking jobs from people with virtually no training.

5. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+2,867
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Then couldn't those people get some training? Learning how to push some buttons and monitor a screen is often easier than the heavy labor that they'd otherwise be doing if the robots weren't doing it.

6. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+1,703
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Building, maintaining and programming machines like that takes a bit more talent than 'pushing buttons'.

Robotics is an engineering degree, and typically at least 4 years in college. Maintenance is mechanics and computer science. Two to 4 years of college.

Who's going to pay for that training?

7. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+2,867
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I guess what I meant was running the machines in general. I mean, computers are extraordinarily complex devices, but even 5 year olds are using them. I'm sure much of the automation that will be implemented for certain jobs would be relatively easy to operate with some on-the-job training.

8. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane Newbie

+1,703
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Not really. These aren't machines built to be used by humans. These are robots that work without human interaction until they break, or need reprogramming. That's automation.