• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Trump tariffs have China scrambling to stem manufacturing exodus as 50 companies leave

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by NightHawkeye, Jul 18, 2019.

1. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+7,611
    Methodist
    Married
    China scrambles to stem manufacturing exodus as 50 companies leave

A year into the trade war with Washington, more than 50 global companies, including Apple and Nintendo, have announced or are considering plans to move production out of China, Nikkei research has found.

And not just foreign companies. Chinese manufacturers, as well as those from the U.S., Japan and Taiwan, are part of the drain, including makers of personal computers, smartphones and other electronics
    Arguing about the merits of tariffs is over. It will now be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+3,131
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    to Vietnam, apparently. Interesting.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,485
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Actually there are few good places for those companies to relocate over there, as they are at 'capacity' now.

4. NightHawkeye

+7,611
    Methodist
    Married
    There are a lot of places people are willing to work for very little money. To people with nothing, a little seems like a lot.

5. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,485
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm referring a comment made concerning the flight of companies from China. It was posited that those countries nearby (still in the region) were already at capacity concerning what they could provide for a rather large company, to include their infrastructure, skilled workforce, etc. They were "all filled up" with other companies, leaving the fleeing companies nowhere to relocate to take advantage of the traditionally low operating costs in the region.

6. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN .

+2,425
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    To be honest China will be fine. It's the consumers, that have to pay for the craziness.

7. NightHawkeye

+7,611
    Methodist
    Married
    Understood.

I used to work for a large technology company which regularly partnered with 3rd world countries to set up jointly-owned manufacturing operations. They did this repeatedly with a number of countries all over the world. It didn't matter whether the country had technology workers already or not. The company was successful training.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. NightHawkeye

+7,611
    Methodist
    Married
    Curiously, I heard someone explain the origin of the phrase "3rd world" today.

In the middle of the 20th century the free and prosperous Western world was considered "1st world". The communist world and the satellites of the Soviet Union and China were considered "2nd world". Hence, the poorly developed rest of the world was considered "3rd world".

9. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+5,431
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Uhhhh...pretty clear how it's going to play out. They'll move to other nations that have few to zero worker's rights and allow them to pay the least amount possible to make their products.

10. NightHawkeye

+7,611
    Methodist
    Married
    So is that a good thing ... or a bad thing?

Noting that people in China were in that situation just a few years back.

11. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+5,431
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    For who?

If you're talking about whether it's good or bad for China, I would argue it's definitely bad. Good or bad for the US remains to be seen....but one could make the argument that anything bad for China tends to be good for us.

One could also argue that long term stabilization of China is what keeps them from possibly competing with us militarily.....and that even gradual destabilization of China might lead to direct conflict....but that's assuming a lot about the future.

12. Tanj

+3,131
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I'm going to go with long term irrelevant thing. With automation, AI and 3d printing the concept of human manufacturing jobs in any country will be consigned to history books.

In the short term probably hurt the average Chinese person, and be irrelevant to the Chinese powers, who have huge influence over the South East Asian nations anyway.

13. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+7,190
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yep, Trump has them jumping and in the right direction.

All of this is going to look good in 2020.

M-Bob

14. Tanj

+3,131
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    For the average American the best case scenario is a return to what it was like before tariffs. However, now that China has signed contracts for goods with other countries, I am not convinced things like the US soy bean industry will ever recover.

The destruction of the livelihoods of conservative rural voters who will never vote for Trump again is indeed going to look good in 2020.

15. Mountainmanbob

+7,190
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Don't be fooled.
    He has much support.

A fool is one who fools themselve.

M-Bob

16. Tanj

+3,131
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    You talk to goats Bob.

17. Mountainmanbob

+7,190
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    What kind of question is that?

Have you ever had a pet?
    Have you ever talked to it?

Come on now.
    M-Bob

18. Tanj

+3,131
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    The kind that isn't a question, but an observation.

Indeed I have.

Never had it talk back.

You're the one calling me a fool Bob. Just responding in kind.

19. Tiberius Lee

Tiberius Lee Active Member

+377
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    The entire trad war was about bringing jobs from China to USA, instated they are going to other country. Sure, China is hurting economically but how does that help USA?

Trade war with China was bring job back to USA, but now as long as jobs are move out of China and go somewhere else , we are winning! Bravo .. alternative reality is so good!

Only problem is IA, WI farmers are the one hurting. I don’t think they will feel any better in Nov 2020. Without IA, WI you can say goodbye to 2020

20. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,272
    Agnostic
    Single
    The US isn't the only nation that has to deal with outsourcing.

I wouldn't fret over those Chinese companies -- I'm sure the CEOs won't be terribly inconvenienced.​