United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
president says "we will plant Trillions of Trees now" because

president announces the USA will join planting trillions of trees initiative

because

Planting Trillions of Trees will Cancel Out Decades of CO2 Emission say Scientists

There is enough room in the world’s existing parks, forests, deserts and abandoned land to plant trillions of additional trees, which would have the CO2 storage capacity to cancel out decades of carbon dioxide emissions, according to a new analysis by ecologist Thomas Crowther and colleagues at ETH Zurich, a Swiss university.

Trees are “our most powerful weapon in the fight against climate change,” Crowther told The Independent. Combining forest inventory data from 1.2 million locations around the world and satellite images, the scientists estimate there are 3 trillion trees on Earth — seven times more than previous estimates. and they also found that there is abundant space to restore millions of acres of additional forests, not counting urban and agricultural land.

“There’s 400 gigatons [of CO2 stored] now in the 3 trillion trees,” Crowther said. “If we were to scale that up by Planting trillions of more trees now, because that’s in the order of hundreds of gigatons captured from the atmosphere – and anthropogenic emissions will completely be wiped out.”

Planting Trillions of Trees will Cancel Out a Decades of CO2 Emissions, Scientists Find

How to erase 100 years of carbon emissions? Plant trees—lots of them.

and there are more than 2000 species of trees with

edible fruits and nuts and berries and olives and

trees have medicinal properties.

trees produce 21 Million calories per acre

trees produce oxygen and wealth and wildlife habitat and food and timber.

cows produce 1 Million calories per acre

cows produce

Methane which is 30 times higher effect heat-trapping greenhouse gas

should we drain the oceans now?

Last edited:

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That could mean a number of jobs.

And we can build houses out of wood, to keep the CO2 stored in houses, while we replace the trees with more trees to catch more CO2 :) Use thicker wood, build Fort Apache fences around properties, to keep coyotes from eating our little doggies and kitties.

Use more wood, so more trees can be grown to catch the CO2.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,577.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Planting trees without ryme or reason can lead to long-lasting droughts and plentyfull other problems.

You can't just plant trees on every free square inch, you have to actually think this through.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
A trillion is 1000 Billion. Where are we going to plant these 1,000,000,000,000+ trees? Who are we going to cut the water from to keep them watered? Given the distance around trees in the replanted managed forest I live near is 100 square feet per tree and that works out to 278,7848 trees per square mile, where is the 3,586,800 square miles of land coming from? This is almost the size of the entire United States (3, 796,742 square miles).

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A trillion is 1000 Billion. Where are we going to plant these 1,000,000,000,000+ trees? Who are we going to cut the water from to keep them watered? Given the distance around trees in the replanted managed forest I live near is 100 square feet per tree and that works out to 278,7848 trees per square mile, where is the 3,586,800 square miles of land coming from? This is almost the size of the entire United States (3, 796,742 square miles).
Maybe Mr. Trump could fit 1,000,000,000,000 trees around the White House. There is a big yard there right now--the trees would mean less grass to cut.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This strikes me as something of a lazy man's approach to addressing the problem, but if it works...

You ever planted trees? Lazy people don't plant because its WORK!

And planting trees is worldwide not just in the US. And yes, it does take some planning in planting them. I plant trees every year now. Wish I had started earlier, especially with dwarf fruit trees and sharing the fruit with family, friends & neighbors & wildlife. Discovered a new thing: robins, which normally eat worms & bugs, LIKE APPLES and eat them!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,577.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You're just not thinking bigly enough.

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You ever planted trees? Lazy people don't plant because its WORK!

And planting trees is worldwide not just in the US. And yes, it does take some planning in planting them. I plant trees every year now. Wish I had started earlier, especially with dwarf fruit trees and sharing the fruit with family, friends & neighbors & wildlife. Discovered a new thing: robins, which normally eat worms & bugs, LIKE APPLES and eat them!

Systems are being developed to plant from the air...

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If he’s serious and actually funds and plans it then he deserves major plaudits. Sorry for being sceptical though considering he and his party have absolutely refused to concede that climate change is real and have spent years now stripping any mention of climate change or environmental protections from government websites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This strikes me as something of a lazy man's approach to addressing the problem, but if it works...

I take it you've never planted a tree. ;)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In Oregon they allow clear cutting (which I abhor) but they have gone back and planted 100's if not 1000's of saplings over the decades.

Clear cuts can regenerate naturally or not at all, it depends on several factors.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But more trees = faster global warming. Trees absorb sun's heat while other surfaces deflect it back to space.

Trees, with the help of sunlight, sequester co2. They also provide recyclable fuel.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I take it you've never planted a tree. ;)

I realize you're joking, but "lazy" doesn't merely have to refer to physical activity. It can also refer to mental or political activity.

The adage "work smarter, not harder" typically refers to finding creative solutions to otherwise-laborious problems, but can be difficult to pull off if working "smarter" involves taxing mental challenges (e.g. engineering or scientific research) and/or building coalitions to, say, change public behavior on a large scale. Brute-forcing a solution by throwing money and bodies at it can be (and throughout history often has been) the more lazy path of least resistance for the people in charge. After all, they're not the ones doing the actual labor.

Upvote 0