loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump pulls his Florida resort as host site for G7 summit
Following widespread bipartisan criticism, President Donald Trump said Saturday his Doral resort in Florida would not host next year's Group of Seven summit of world leaders after all.

"Based on both Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility, we will no longer consider Trump National Doral, Miami, as the Host Site for the G-7 in 2020," he tweeted. "We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately."

The president had been under fire for the choice, announced Thursday by acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, because it could ultimately benefit him financially. Mulvaney said world leaders would be able to stay at his resort at cost.

But even pundits on Fox News, Trump's favored news outlet, criticized the move as a violation of the Constitution's emoluments clause, which forbids gifts of any kind to a president from foreign leaders.

On Thursday former Judge Andrew Napolitano said on Fox News that the choice would entail "about as direct and profound a violation of the emoluments clause as one could create."

"The constitution does not address profits," he said. "It addresses any present, as in a gift, any emolument, as in cash, of any kind."
tulc(thought this was interesting) :wave:

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I see. Trumps resort was going to host it before. Oh yes.
Ah, no. The Trump administration just decided to announce their decision to confirm what Trump had already decided to do. Host the G-7 at his resort which was losing money, in violation of the Constitution.
But later, after further details of the business deal were being worked out, the other parties changed their minds.
No. The "other parties" didn't change their minds. Trump changed his mind when his own political party let him know that it was unconstitutional.
But his resort was going to host it, I tell you it was.
They would have if Republicans would have backed him up.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Trump tweeted the following: "I announced that I would be willing to do it at NO PROFIT or, if legally permissible, at ZERO COST to the USA."

In a later update, he announced: "We will begin the search for another site, including the possibility of Camp David, immediately. Thank you!"

Source: The Hill

• Informative
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah.. a BILLIONAIRE that gives away his pay check that NO ONE else does in Washington does.. the left went off the rails on this one.. as if this BILLIONAIRE wanted to do it for the money. But good call by President Trump. Plate is already full no need to make them cry even more.

• Agree
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah.. a BILLIONAIRE that gives away his pay check that NO ONE else does in Washington does.. the left went off the rails on this one..
Ahhh! Nice to know you consider the US Constitution to be on "the left". :oldthumbsup:

as if this BILLIONAIRE
alleged billionaire. :wave:

wanted to do it for the money.
Pretty much everything President Trump and his family does is for the money. ;)

But good call by President Trump.
Or he was told in no uncertain terms it was illegal for him to do it, so much so even his Attorney General wouldn't be able to save him this time. :sorry:

Plate is already full no need to make them cry even more.
Please, the only people "crying" here is President Trump and a lot of his base. :D
tulc(just thoght that should be pointed out) :)

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah.. a BILLIONAIRE that gives away his pay check that NO ONE else does in Washington does.. the left went off the rails on this one.. as if this BILLIONAIRE wanted to do it for the money. But good call by President Trump. Plate is already full no need to make them cry even more.
Trump holding the G-7 at Doral would have worth millions in free advertisement. The Doral has been losing revenue over the past 4 years. Down by 70% according to sources.
The publicity he would have received with world wide TV coverage of the resort would have been priceless.

• Winner
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah.. a BILLIONAIRE that gives away his pay check that NO ONE else does in Washington does

He does donate his $400,000 annual salary to charity but his golf trips have cost the taxpayer almost $300,000,000 over the last three years. And this after he promised on his campaign that he would be a working president and not golfing all the time like Obama.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
He does donate his $400,000 annual salary to charity but his golf trips have cost the taxpayer almost $300,000,000 over the last three years. And this after he promised on his campaign that he would be a working president and not golfing all the time like Obama.

Not sure about those numbers. Can we chexk his tax returns?

• Haha
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi tulc,

Well, I'm actually going to wait until the G7 summit for 2020 has been done. Then we'll see whether or not President Trump actually turned down the money. There's a lot that the crazy orange clown can do between now and next September.

Imagine him coming back in 6 months and telling us that he's investigated every other possibility and that none of them will do. None of them measure up to his perfection found in his resort where all the monies paid will be his money. We'll see.

Or, as he did with the Ukraine issue, he'll come up with some way to pressure all the participants to send requests that they all want to have it at his resort.

I can almost predict his very words. "You know, I've been hearing from a lot of people...a lot of people who are involved in this and they keep telling me, 'President Trump, your place is the greatest and grandest place we could meet'".

God bless,
In Christ, ted

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Way too many people wanting to "wait" until 2020. "Oh, let's not impeach him. Wait until 2020 at the ballot box." Hello, this is ELECTION TAMPERING we are dealing with. He is selling the United States out and actively prodding foreign countries to hack it. And you think we are going to administer justice for election tampering with...an ELECTION?!?? I'm sorry, but people who bury their heads in the sand like that don't deserve their "democracy."

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Way too many people wanting to "wait" until 2020. "Oh, let's not impeach him. Wait until 2020 at the ballot box." Hello, this is ELECTION TAMPERING we are dealing with. He is selling the United States out and actively prodding foreign countries to hack it. And you think we are going to administer justice for election tampering with...an ELECTION?!?? I'm sorry, but people who bury their heads in the sand like that don't deserve their "democracy."

Hi usexpat,

Well, I don't know if that post was directed towards my response, but let me clarify what I meant by waiting until 2020.

It is not that I approve of waiting until the election of 2020 to see if he retains the presidency. Absolutely not!! I'd like to see him gone tomorrow, but, as relates to this statement that he and a few of his administrative cronies have furthered, I am willing to wait until the G7 summit of 2020 is in and done, before I'm going to believe a word of his claim that he's not going to hold the G7 summit at one of his resorts. The current one, is of course Doral, but I wouldn't be too surprised if his second choice isn't one of his other resorts. We'll see. As I wrote previously, I can almost hear his claim that he's talked to 'a lot of people', that's usually how he begins his grandstanding stories, and they have all asked him why they can't meet at his Doral Resort. That it's just such a yuge and beautiful property that is perfect for the event. One can almost count on any words that follow, "I've talked to a lot of people..." to be some fabrication of his support.

President Trump doesn't 'talk' to a lot of people. He had a handful, maybe two dozen main go to's who get their place as his 'advisers' by the very fact that they agree with him. He just doesn't take advice from anyone who would dare to tell him that some plan of action or consideration would not be a good idea. Those people fall off the merry-go-round pretty quickly.

So, I'm all for us getting rid of President Trump as quickly as possible, but as far as this idea that he's agreed to not hold the G7 at Doral...I want to wait and see what happens over the next 10 months. If anything, I think we can all agree that President Trump has changed his mind about a lot of things over time.

This is the guy who swore to us that getting rid of the ACA was going to be a piece of cake. Now he's crowing that his administration has worked within the ACA to reduce premium costs.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The sad part is that there are grown folks ignorant and gullible enough to have bought the lulzy whopper Donald told that he'd be willing to have it there for "no profit, at zero cost to the USA" NO PROFIT." Donald's greed is as infamous as his dishonesty.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Oh well. He'll make enough liberal heads explode when he invites Putin...

If that happens at least President Reagan will already be resting in peace so we don't have to worry about his head exploding. You're probably right that only the liberals will have the patriotism and intelligence to find that absolutely unacceptable. Unfortunately.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If that happens at least President Reagan will already be resting in peace so we don't have to worry about his head exploding.

We never will know what Reagan would have thought of Putin...

• Winner
Upvote 0