• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Trump says, Go Back To Church -- POLL

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Mountainmanbob, May 23, 2020.

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Each Church should be able to decide on their own

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,577
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I am high risk but I believe 100% that God will either cover me or its just my time to die... either way I'll be doing it, I'll be doing what is right by Him according to my understanding.

I think people may find it's the young and healthy who are most afraid of assembly and worship.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+10,326
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Some may call you silly or maybe even worse but, I agree with you and I'm also in a high risk group.

I won't be hugging or kissing at Church. Actually, we have had some small meetings and all have kept their safe distance.

If I can go to Walmart
    don't tell me that I can't go to Church.

We don't live in China or Russia
    not yet anyway.

M

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+14,212
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Hmm. If churches decide to re-open, there's not a lot of choice there for their staff. I know one point of discussion here was whether it was right to expect church staff to risk their health, when they had little choice about it. (Similar to some of the discussions about safety for teachers).

Maybe it's freedom for some, at the expense of others?

4. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+2,085
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I voted and we have been going for a bit now. If I didn't have that I would have went off the edge mentally, I was very close to it and I am still not doing good. The evil powers had no right to take God away from us ever and I will die on that hill always

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. CaspianSails

CaspianSails Active Member

+182
    United States
    Christian
    Married

Every position on this seems valid. A lot depends on who you are, your age, and your risk tolerance. While I am ready to start attending with others again I am not certain I would want to sit the entire time with a mask or without singing. I think I may as well watch the pastor online. Then there is the question of fellowship. What will that look like?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. CaspianSails

+182
    United States
    Christian
    Married

It is a bit more complicated that that. In large buildings you need to maintain certain temperatures during the year to avoid things growing in the system. I have seen people become sick when churches, who really don't know any better, have decided to save money by turning systems way back or even off between service days or even overnight. The result is not good and then requires even more expensive cleaning. So yes, you may be able to modify the temperature some but you need to stay in a range that prevents mold, mildew, and other microbes from growing in large systems.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. CaspianSails

+182
    United States
    Christian
    Married

As far as I am concerned, if staff chose not to attend I would not hold it against them. However, I may be in the minority.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. Jonathan Walkerin

Jonathan Walkerin Well-Known Member

+1,626
    Sweden
    Catholic
    Married
  9. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+6,467
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yes. Your idea is a good one. There's a large NASCAR track in my area, with huge open infield, gigantic display screen, and lots of parking. My local school district found a safe way to use all those facilities to have a real graduation, visible to parents and friends, without endangering anyone. Kudos to them.

10. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+41,021
    Christian
    Plenty of football stadiums for smaller churches to use the only drawback is weather around here tends to spoil outdoor activities this time of year. Maybe drive in theaters will start making a lot of money problem is I figure the big films won't bother with just having them as screens and low capacity theaters due to distancing requirements.

11. The Barbarian

+6,467
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    My thought is that for some of these kids, this is the only graduation that they'll have. And their accomplishments need to be recognized. So school administrators need to be creative.

12. Sistrin

Sistrin We are such stuff as dreams are made on... Supporter

+3,174
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Because church staff members are all too stupid to, what, exactly? Do their jobs while maintaining a healthy protocol?

The image you are attempting to create is a false narrative. Reopening the churches is not an expression of one group of people exploiting another. You should know this.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+2,484
    Methodist
    Trump says, Go Back To Church -- POLL
    At the very least one would have expected that the President would have followed his own advice and attended a Church service today, but he made his choice that golf takes precedence!

The longer conservative Christians choose to support this President, the more it erodes their ability to convince the world that their message hasn't been compromised!

14. Sistrin

+3,174
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Seriously? This is funny to you?

A story about a choir practice from March 10th. And based on that you want to keep the churches shut down. I wonder if you feel the same concerning Mosque, or Synagogues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+41,021
    Christian
    They are saying graduation ceremonies may be in July here but it depends on how this virus thing goes around here they say everything is dropping but we are opening up more so that trend may slow or temporarily increase perhaps. One school had a drive through graduation where they drove down a main street and everyone had their cars parked and cheered them on from there. The things that I think could be hard is some like the prom and homecoming for sports the last season (seniors) plus athletes and honor students a short school year could affect scholarships and such making it harder for colleges that may be a limited opening in the Fall or Spring semesters to decide on. Unless we get a hold of this thing and everything related could be a rough 2020-2022 I figure.

16. Paidiske

+14,212
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I don't believe that it is possible to gather entirely safely. A "healthy protocol" will reduce risk, but not eliminate it. That has nothing to do with stupidity, and everything to do with the reality of how this virus spreads.

It's a consideration. I know it was part of the discussion both in my parish and in my diocese around when to suspend services.

17. Sistrin

+3,174
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It wasn't possible to gather entirely safely prior to Covid 19. You are waffling. The sense I gather from reading your post is it will immediately become possible to gather safely if President Trump loses the election this November.

Looking in both directions prior to crossing the street does not eliminate the risk of getting hit by a car. How long do you really want to live inside this bubble of false security?

Oh, right, November...

Spare me. Most people wailing about how the virus spreads don't even know the difference between a virus and a bacteria. If you are using a perceived risk to Church staff as an excuse to keep the churches closed then your actual goal is to keep the churches closed as opposed to protecting anyone.

Ah, the appeal to authority. That always calms everything right down.

18. jgarden

jgarden Senior Veteran

+2,484
    Methodist
    [​IMG]

The politicians and preachers who have ignored the pandemic, putting the lives of their followers at risk, have much to answer for - especially if they do it in the name of God!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  19. Paidiske

+14,212
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm not even in America. So in that sense, for me, American politics is irrelevant to a discussion of the safety of re-starting church services.

However, I do know the difference, and I have a degree in immunology with a minor in microbiology. I'm not speaking from total ignorance.

No, my goal at this point is not to keep the churches closed. But I did want to point out that when churches begin services again, not everyone is equally free to choose their preferred level of risk at that point.

20. The Barbarian

+6,467
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    For a certain cohort of people in the U.S., everything is about politics.