Trump says companies playing to 'woke cancel culture' over Ga. election bill, calls for boycott

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, tell that to the Dixie Chicks, Colin Kaepernick, Jane Fonda, etc.

Didn't they try to bring politics into sports, music, and exercise?

Should we bring religion into science..? How about sports into religion..? o_O

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm okay with progress, but caution must be taken. You might not be aware, but cancel culture is essentially straight out of the KGB handbook, not something I would want grafted into our culture... Same with violent protests, and the burning down of businesses - that's third-world culture trying to graft it's way in.

We have to be careful.
Culture is not under the control — nor is it the rightful focus — of policy makers. Private citizens and public figures can whine all they want about what the American people want, but it is the job of policy makers to carry out the wishes of their constituents. Instead of doing that, Republican policy makers block all Democratic legislation and talk about nothing but fabricated culture wars. Anything but do their job, I guess.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's funny how many of the same people who reject theocracy, don't quite understand how that same process of "seperation" works suprisingly well in most other areas.

...Because you can clearly see how grafting ideologies where they don't belong agitates people, pretty much wherever you see it.

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I've lost count of how many times I've seen retired sports stars brought in as guest speakers in churches. It's almost a trope at this point. For example, when we're in OCNJ, we sometimes visit the Tabernacle whose 2021 lineup appears to have three former pro athletes:
2021 Speakers - Ocean City Tabernacle

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've lost count of how many times I've seen retired sports stars brought in as guest speakers in churches. It's almost a trope at this point.

And I'm thinking you're as disgusted as I am with that. It just seems 'cheap' to me.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Do you have an issue with the National Anthem being sung at the beginning of sports games? Or the big displays of militarism?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have an issue with the National Anthem being sung at the beginning of sports games? Or the big displays of militarism?

No. Because we are a country, and our common citizenship isn't really an ideology, it's more of a fact.

I would be opposed to driving tanks as a show of militarism at sporting events though... That would be going too far.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
No. Because we are a country, and our common citizenship isn't really an ideology, it's more of a fact.
So you are perfectly fine with politics in sports, as long as it matches your politics.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you are perfectly fine with politics in sports, as long as it matches your politics.

No, I was just explaining that our common citizenship isn't politics... Or any other kind of ideology... It's a real-life "fact".

• Winner
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Weren't they subjected to the right-wing cancel culture?
Are you saying that they deserved to be canceled on a personal level because they were political as well as cultural?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I know! Imagine having to be a citizen and having to have a state ID to prove it. I can't think of anything worse.

Doesn’t that already exist? My state requires an ID before voting. AFAIK, all the states do.

I mean, unless your goal is illegal immigrant votes and false votes, then this is really bad.

That—on the other hand—is virtually non-existent. You may find a handful of ineligible votes here and there. But nothing that would make a difference. Donald Trump’s own AG said there was no evidence of fraudulent voting anywhere significant enough to change the outcome. (Not to mention dozens of courts tossed out Trump’s fraud claims for the same lack of plausibility.

Personally, I don’t care if non-citizens vote. If they’re here legally, law-abiding and paying taxes, why shouldn’t they? If anything, we should have more people voting, not less. Turnout last Nov. was just over 66% of eligible voters. A record high for a US election. But low compared with other 1st world countries. Australia and Sweden have 80% turnout. Most other European countries get turnouts of 70+%. Voting should be more convenient, not less.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If they were treated in a biased manor, then that's something I can't support. I prefer a culture that *appreciates* differences of opinion, but cultural lines will need to be drawn on what limits of ideological influence are acceptable... Not as a law, but as a cultural norm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What "right-wing cancel culture?"

The term, "Cancel Culture" doesn't refer to people simply choosing not to patronize entertainers, companies, or etc. because those outfits decided to express their opposition to our country, its people, its flag, or the like.

No one is forced to buy tickets to one concert rather than to a different one, or buy a chicken sandwich at one drive-through rather than another one. And any suggestion that this personal decision amounts to a "Cancel Culture" is ridiculous (although not surprising).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And I'm thinking you're as disgusted as I am with that. It just seems 'cheap' to me.

I agree that it’s cheap, though I don’t think my negative feelings on it rise to the level of disgust. I see it more as mildly cringey.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ever notice how conservative discourse shifts from policy straight into “culture wars” the moment a Democrat takes office? I’m thinking it’s because Republicans don’t have any worthwhile objections to progressive legislation, so to distract from their complete impotence they invent cultural issues to divide people. Cardi B, the perennial phony “war on Christmas,” transgender panic, lil Nas X, Potato Head toys, etc. all regularly have conservative public figures wailing and flailing over the free decisions of private entities. Conservatives seem to be the most easily offended people in the country!
Keeping the rank-and-file angry over policy issues takes time and detailed explanations that don’t scale well to bumperstickers.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What you are calling politics affects every area of our lives. And conservatives have no problem bringing politics into these arenas. First, you said that conservatives don’t cancel people, now you’re moving the goalposts and saying well, when conservatives do it it’s for a legitimate reason.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I would be opposed to driving tanks as a show of militarism at sporting events though... That would be going too far.

Flyovers are okay but tanks aren’t? You can do waaaaay more damage with a single plane than you can with a tank.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0