Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Trump Renews Pledge to ‘Take a Strong Look’ at Libel Laws - The New Y…

Trump Renews Pledge to ‘Take a Strong Look’ at Libel Laws

As the article points out, he doesn't have a way to do this, otherwise I would be a lot more caustic. What I fear, however, is that the media's stupid spat with Trump might help create enough of a groundswell to get the officials in Congress to try and make a law to try and circumvent some of the First's protections. As much as I loathe the media lying and massaging the facts all of the time, I loathe the idea of weakening the First Amendment a whole lot more.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm amazed at how many in the GOP will take any slight against the 2nd amendment as synonymous with destroying the country yet apparently the 1st Amendment is fair game to butcher.

Yes our media can be biased,
Yes our media sometime gets it completely wrong...

But on the whole, they do an okay job and they are the unofficial 4th branch of government that provides crucial checks and balances on the 3 branches of government.

Or put another way, I'd rather have them as is then have them hamstringed by so-called "libel laws".

We ALREADY have laws on the books that protect against libel and slander.

Wasn't Trump supposed to be against regulation???

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm amazed at how many in the GOP will take any slight against the 2nd amendment as synonymous with destroying the country yet apparently the 1st Amendment is fair game to butcher.

Yes our media can be biased,
Yes our media sometime gets it completely wrong...

But on the whole, they do an okay job and they are the unofficial 4th branch of government that provides crucial checks and balances on the 3 branches of government.

Or put another way, I'd rather have them as is then have them hamstringed by so-called "libel laws".

We ALREADY have laws on the books that protect against libel and slander.

Wasn't Trump supposed to be against regulation???

No, Trump has always wanted to tinker with the libel laws, and it was a major black mark against him for me, among other things.

Upvote 0

Enfeoffment75

Dec 28, 2017
Seattle
✟18,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's two problems here:

1. Trump is a moron who is only interested in people loving him unreservedly. As such any slight is taken as the worst sin imaginable. As such Trump has probably always wanted to ensure that only good things are said about him. Too bad Donny J.

2. Trump's supporters are often so unhinged and divorced from reality that they end up having to justify every conceivable excess that crawls out of his pie hole, which creates a knock-on effect that the entire media (short of Breitbart and Alex Jones) are hopeless biased and need to be destroyed. That's what happens when a party and movement consistently curry favor with the least educated and rational demographics. This "groundswell" of which you speak would be as much based on a lie as anything they would want to "fix", and probably moreso.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Which no doubt that this will end up in the SC, wasting more of their time.

Actually, they’d probably just refer to NYT vs Sullivan and kill it. I would be more worried about the time it takes from creation to it being killed upon arrival at the SCOTUS than them wasting time on it.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Based upon what he said he wants, sounds like he could have been sued for suggesting Ted Cruz's father was involved in the JFK assassination. Not sure Trump really wants to open it up to the point that he can be sued for all the fake things he claims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Actually, they’d probably just refer to NYT vs Sullivan and kill it. I would be more worried about the time it takes from creation to it being killed upon arrival at the SCOTUS than them wasting time on it.
[ponders for a moment]
Maybe the country would be better off if he (Trump) would waste months on this issue instead of ruining some other matters of really meaningful policy.

Upvote 0