Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Donald Trump stayed in Paris with the U.S. ambassador to France, and then returned to Washington with three works of art taken from the residence, it has emerged.
The president had the artworks removed from the residence by staffers who loaded them on to Air Force One before his entourage left France.

Trump's time in Paris has been in the news this week after the Atlantic reported that he had described U.S. soldiers who died in World War I and in Vietnam as 'losers' and 'suckers', for not finding a way to dodge the draft.

The Atlantic also claimed he canceled a visit to a second cemetery, the Belleau Wood cemetery, because he was worried the rain would affect his hair.
The White House defended the president's actions.

Judd Deere, a White House spokesman, said he had proudly brought the pieces back to the U.S. for the nation.

'The President brought these beautiful, historical pieces, which belong to the American people, back to the United States to be prominently displayed in the People's House,' he said.
Trump takes home art from US ambassador's residence in Paris

Ironically, they are fakes, copies of real masterpieces, and the figurines are actually tacky copies of copies. But they looked good to Trump whose New York apartment looks like Dolly Parton's trailer, and he wanted them. So he sent his staff to go take them.

Apparently, they're in the Oval Office, which few Americans will actually visit.

Not knocking Dolly; she knows her public persona is tacky, it's just theater for her.

• Informative
Reactions: Pioneer3mm

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Donald Trump stayed in Paris with the U.S. ambassador to France, and then returned to Washington with three works of art taken from the residence, it has emerged.
The president had the artworks removed from the residence by staffers who loaded them on to Air Force One before his entourage left France.

Trump's time in Paris has been in the news this week after the Atlantic reported that he had described U.S. soldiers who died in World War I and in Vietnam as 'losers' and 'suckers', for not finding a way to dodge the draft.

The Atlantic also claimed he canceled a visit to a second cemetery, the Belleau Wood cemetery, because he was worried the rain would affect his hair.

Judd Deere, a White House spokesman, said he had proudly brought the pieces back to the U.S. for the nation.

'The President brought these beautiful, historical pieces, which belong to the American people, back to the United States to be prominently displayed in the People's House,' he said.

Ironically, they are fakes, copies of real masterpieces, and the figurines are actually tacky copies of copies. But they looked good to Trump whose New York apartment looks like Dolly Parton's trailer, and he wanted them. So he sent his staff to go take them.

Apparently, they're in the Oval Office, which few Americans will actually visit.

Not knocking Dolly; she knows her public persona is tacky, it's just theater for her.

Are you saying that he stole them?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He says he just "took" them. They belong to the United States, they were purchased with public funds to decorate the Ambassador's home, so he felt entitled to grab them and take them home.

It's what people like him do. "I can get away with it, so it's O.K."

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I wouldn't take the Atlantic to seriously.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He says he just "took" them. They belong to the United States, they were purchased with public funds to decorate the Ambassador's home, so he felt entitled to grab them and take them home.

It's what people like him do. "I can get away with it, so it's O.K."

I don't know what's wrong with people now days. Every time I turn on the news I see people running around in the streets breaking windows and taking things that don't belong to them. Since they aren't being charged I guess it's OK. Times sure are changing.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know what's wrong with people now days. Every time I turn on the news I see people running around in the streets breaking windows and taking things that don't belong to them.

When you're president, you don't have to break windows. Otherwise the principle is the same.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is third person news (he said that she said, etc.) which makes it gossip, not original, factual news.

Nope. The stuff is missing from the Ambassador's house,and it's in Trump's office. No point in denial. Besides, his staff already admitted it.

The White House confirmed the president took artwork from Paris. “The President brought these beautiful, historical pieces, which belong to the American people, back to the United States to be prominently displayed in the People’s House,” White House spokesman Judd Deere said in response to questions from Bloomberg News.

The art was reportedly worth some $750,000 and the White House may have called them “historical” but the truth is that they were fakes and replicas. The figurines that now sit in the Oval Office are from the early 20th century by an artist who was trying to claim they were from the 16th or 17 centuries. The figurines have little value and are really “20th century fakes of wannabe 17th century sculptures,” according to an art dealer.
Trump Took Art From Ambassador’s Home in Paris, But Pieces Were Fakes and Replicas

So, in some ways, it's perfect for the Trump WH.

Incidentally, the same thing happened to Hermann Goring during WWII. He also fancied himself an art expert, and stole or bought at very low prices, "masterpieces."

It turns out, that he was mistaken as well. One dealer, realizing what vulgarian he really was, sold him fakes worth a fraction of what Goring paid for them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Whether he did or not, that is what they are saying, and that is what they will continue to believe, regardless.

He wanted them, so he took them. After all, who was going to stop him? And that's pretty much his moral code.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,936.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Whether he did or not, that is what they are saying, and that is what they will continue to believe, regardless.
I don't know anybody who is saying he stole them or saying he didn't have the authority to take them. The questions I've seen have all been about the appropriateness of it.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know anybody who is saying he stole them or saying he didn't have the authority to take them. The questions I've seen have all been about the appropriateness of it.

Can you imagine the outrage if George Bush or Barack Obama had done that as president? But when Trump does it, it seems as normal as spots on a hyena. People expect him to behave like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Let me get this straight. Trump liked some fake artwork at the US embassy in Paris and had that art transported to the White House where it will be displayed in a different US government owned facility. Why is this news?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let me get this straight. Trump liked some fake artwork at the US embassy in Paris and had that art transported to the White House

He saw things he wanted. He took them, knowing that no one could stop him. It's his moral code.

where it will be displayed in a different US government owned facility. Why is this news?

You and I and everyone else knows what the response would have been if Obama had ordered his aides to take the artwork from the Ambassador's house as Trump did.

C'mon.

But is is kind of appropriate that a person like Donald Trump takes fake artwork from an ambassador's house, to decorate his office. Kind of a metaphor for his character, isn't it?

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He saw things he wanted. He took them, knowing that no one could stop him. It's his moral code.

You and I and everyone else knows what the response would have been if Obama had ordered his aides to take the artwork from the Ambassador's house as Trump did.

C'mon.

But is is kind of appropriate that a person like Donald Trump takes fake artwork from an ambassador's house, to decorate his office. Kind of a metaphor for his character, isn't it?
You're acting like fake art was taken from the ambassadors personal home. In fact, it was taken from the American embassy. It was property of the United States and as head of the Executive branch if Trump wants to take fake art from one Executive Branch building to another that's his business. It isn't theft, as you and others imply. Gauche it another story.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're acting like fake art was taken from the ambassadors personal home.

No, that's just your revision of what I said.

In fact, it was taken from the American embassy.

Yes, ambassadors tend to live in embassies. The point is that Trump saw something he wanted, knew he could get away with taking it, and sent his people to take it.

You know as well as I do, if Obama or Bush had grabbed artwork out of that embassy, what kind of outcry would have happened. We're so used to Trump grabbing whatever he can get, we just note it and go on.
And while I have no doubt many people would have characterized it as theft, if Obama had helped himself to embassy furnishings, it's technically not theft, and far as I know, no one said it was, at least after some consultation with lawyers and state department officials.

It was boorish and vulgar and selfish. Which is no surprise, given Trump's character. He is limited only by what he thinks he can get away with.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, that's just your revision of what I said.

Yes, ambassadors tend to live in embassies. The point is that Trump saw something he wanted, knew he could get away with taking it, and sent his people to take it.

You know as well as I do, if Obama or Bush had grabbed artwork out of that embassy, what kind of outcry would have happened. We're so used to Trump grabbing whatever he can get, we just note it and go on.
And while I have no doubt many people would have characterized it as theft, if Obama had helped himself to embassy furnishings, it's technically not theft, and far as I know, no one said it was, at least after some consultation with lawyers and state department officials.

It was boorish and vulgar and selfish. Which is no surprise, given Trump's character. He is limited only by what he thinks he can get away with.
It may be gauche but it isn't criminal. It reminds me of the Clinton's who actually took things from the White House on their way out. Sets of plates, furnishings etc. None of it belonged to them.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,936.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It may be gauche but it isn't criminal. It reminds me of the Clinton's who actually took things from the White House on their way out. Sets of plates, furnishings etc. None of it belonged to them.
Again, nobody is saying it was criminal.

Upvote 0