Massachusetts
✟341,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if Trump declassified those documents?
Then I would expect he would have said so, rather than denying he had any more documents. In any case, the problem with him having the documents is not just that they were classified. They're not his documents, whether classified or not. And if they relate to national security, having them and letting others see them can be a crime regardless of whether they were classified or not. (Violation of the espionage act has nothing to do with whether documents are classified.)

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That is not proof he broke any laws. Obama took a ton of documents with him when he left. He promised to make them all public. Yet we haven't seen that.

Trump takes some and they come after him with warrants. And now we have memos released that the Biden Administration knew about this before hand and may have been working with the DOJ.

I still smell a rat.

So in a previous post, you were telling me not to talk down to you, when I had explained a way to verify truth from misinformation in the media.

But in this post of yours we have two instances of misinformation which you are propagating because presumably you thought they were true.

1. Obama's documents are in the National Archive. Trump's claim was fabricated nonsense and noone provided anything to support Trump's baseless claim, instead some media outlets reached out to the National Archives and got a statement from them that they possessed all Obama's documents.

2. Regarding Biden's involvement in the raid. As far as we know Biden had no prior knowledge of the raid. Some right wing media (Fox news, New York Post) are claiming that Biden signed off on the raid. However this is not the case. Biden signed off on a request by the National Archives (NARA) to share documents with the FBI.
This happened months ago and had nothing to do with the Mara lago raid.
National Archives wanted to share classified docs from Mar-a-Lago with FBI and intel community for damage assessment months ago - CNNPolitics
The delay in allowing the FBI to review the materials occurred while the Archives wrestled with Trump's potential claim of executive privilege, and the letter outlines discussions involving the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel and the White House over what to do about it, even weighing Nixon-era legal precedents, before letting the FBI do its work.
Ultimately, the Biden White House Counsel's office deferred to the Archives, which allowed the Biden administration to begin what has now become a full criminal investigation that is examining possible crimes including mishandling of national defense information and obstruction of justice.

The Archives had sought the DOJ Office of Legal Counsel's advice after counsel to President Joe Biden told the Archives that Biden was deferring to the Archives for a determination on how to handle Trump's protective assertions of privilege.

"The question in this case is not a close one," the Archives said. "The Executive Branch here is seeking access to records belonging to, and in the custody of, the Federal Government itself, not only in order to investigate whether those records were handled in an unlawful manner but also, as the National Security Division explained, to 'conduct an assessment of the potential damage resulting from the apparent manner in which these materials were stored and transported and take any necessary remedial steps.'"

So when you say "I smell a rat" This is based on misinformation that you have gathered no doubtedly from far right wing media.
Did you at all try to investigate whether this information was supported by evidence? Did you seek out what other media sources were saying? Basically did you do any research into this?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Just a quick note to clarify things:

When a President generates documents even documents of a personal nature, e.g. Kim Jung-un’s “love letter”, those belong and go with the Office not with the holder of the office.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biden is president, he doesn't have any opponent at this time. I don't think he's spending a lot of time worrying or even thinking about Trump and his cohorts. I know I wouldn't be.
I don't think he spends a lot of time worrying about anything.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What if Trump declassified those documents?

Then there would be a paper trail showing they were declassified and the documents would be redacted, usually heavily redacted.

That appears not to be the case as I do not believe a judge would issue a warrant in that situation. If they were declassified, Trump would offer that document during any future proceedings, if there are any.

Since the documents are back where they belong, it is unlikely anything else will happen now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0