Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What is difficult to understand? Would you rather have cheap power or expensive? Remember that we're choosing for everyone, including the poor.

By the time this 'carbon bubble' bursts, your great-great-grandkids will be long gone.

His major reason, climate change, is a hoax. No reason at all.

Reactions: Orthodoxjay1
Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
What is difficult to understand? Would you rather have cheap power or expensive? Remember that we're choosing for everyone, including the poor.

By the time this 'carbon bubble' bursts, your great-great-grandkids will be long gone.

His major reason, climate change, is a hoax. No reason at all.
Environmentally speaking, I'd rather have clean power which doesn't damage or destroy watersheds and entire biomes to produce. I want my great grand children to have land to farm, animals to hunt and clean water to use and all of those things in abundance.
In economic terms, I'd rather have the new technology that has now surpassed the old in terms of economic viability. When renewable energy technology can profitably produce electricity 2 cents per kwh, why on earth would we want a revival in coal or oil?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Environmentally speaking, I'd rather have clean power which doesn't damage or destroy watersheds and entire biomes to produce. I want my great grand children to have land to farm, animals to hunt and clean water to use and all of those things in abundance.
In economic terms, I'd rather have the new technology that has now surpassed the old in terms of economic viability. When renewable energy technology can profitably produce electricity 2 cents per kwh, why on earth would we want a revival in coal or oil?

I would love to have peace on earth, and clean oceans and rivers, no pesticides or GMOs. Free energy and no pollution. We have to deal with reality at the moment, which means solar is more expensive than coal, and wind even more expensive, not to mention it kills way too many birds. Hydroelectric is not a good option, as seen in California recently. Maybe we can change over in five or ten years as the technology for batteries and solar panels gets better and cheaper.

Reactions: Orthodoxjay1
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die eh?

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

StarTemple

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If dinosaurs couldn't survive it will take external aid to survive the outcome of the things which these issues merely distract from. (Matthew 24:21-22)

Man and their world government ideas are just a speck of dust on the lens at this time. Poof, it will pass. (Daniel 2)

But many will make it. (Revelation 14:6-7)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Once you get over the hump of the initial investment, how can clean renewables not be cheaper than fossil fuels? There isn't a limited supply of sunlight or wind. You don't have to transport it or refine it or dispose of the waste.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Once you get over the hump of the initial investment, how can clean renewables not be cheaper than fossil fuels? There isn't a limited supply of sunlight or wind. You don't have to transport it or refine it or dispose of the waste.

The wind may blow constantly in certain areas, but the sun only shines about half the time and less at full strength. If you just ship out the power, you will have high and low times, so you need backup power. That means either fossil fuel plants, or batteries if you have enough power to store. Batteries must be maintained, and disposed of when they go bad. Solar arrays have a limited lifespan, and so do wind generators. Not to mention the birds killed by the windmills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fossil fuels are needed badly to keep up with the new global demands for energy. Clean energy just can't keep up. The short term answer is conservation, but few are interested in that. Also millions of new buildings are being built with few if any design provisions for clean energy applications (orientation of roofs, super insulation, insulated 'heat sink' foundations, etc.). People still want traditional designs built with traditional materials.

But probably the biggest roadblock is the general attitude that nothing can be done, as well as a general apathy and feeling of hopelessness for the future. Mankind seems to be 'tired' of life; 'dead people walking' as it were.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The wind may blow constantly in certain areas, but the sun only shines about half the time and less at full strength. If you just ship out the power, you will have high and low times, so you need backup power. That means either fossil fuel plants, or batteries if you have enough power to store. Batteries must be maintained, and disposed of when they go bad. Solar arrays have a limited lifespan, and so do wind generators. Not to mention the birds killed by the windmills.
Buildings and cats kill orders of magnitude more birds than windmills. If you're really so worried about the birds, you'd be advocating that we get rid of them.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would love to have peace on earth, and clean oceans and rivers, no pesticides or GMOs. Free energy and no pollution. We have to deal with reality at the moment, which means solar is more expensive than coal, and wind even more expensive, not to mention it kills way too many birds. Hydroelectric is not a good option, as seen in California recently. Maybe we can change over in five or ten years as the technology for batteries and solar panels gets better and cheaper.

No alternative energy sources can do what fossil fuels can do, especially oil. The need for more high energy fuel increases every day. Solar and wind produced electricity can't fuel vehicles for more than a few miles. Gasoline, diesel, and aviation fuels are going to be around for a long time to come. We do need to find ways to burn them more efficiently however.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Solar and wind produced electricity can't fuel vehicles for more than a few miles.

All the Tesla models have ranges of at least 200 miles, with some getting over 350-400, depending on certain factors. That's comparable to the range from a tank of gas on many passenger cars and more than enough for most commuters. The Chevy Bolt EV is in the lower end of that range, too, and while the BMW i3 and Nissan Leaf have shorter ranges, they're still enough for most people to get back and forth to work.

I'm not aware of anybody saying that we could completely eliminate the need for fossil fuels any time soon, but EV's have the potential to reduce our usage by a significant amount.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Buildings and cats kill orders of magnitude more birds than windmills. If you're really so worried about the birds, you'd be advocating that we get rid of them.

If your cat is killing bald eagles, he's a badder cat than mine are.
Pigeons and robins will have to look out for themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No alternative energy sources can do what fossil fuels can do, especially oil. The need for more high energy fuel increases every day. Solar and wind produced electricity can't fuel vehicles for more than a few miles. Gasoline, diesel, and aviation fuels are going to be around for a long time to come. We do need to find ways to burn them more efficiently however.

Hydrogen is the fuel of the near future. The only problem is storage, and that can be bypassed if the hydrogen and oxygen are taken from water as needed and used.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All the Tesla models have ranges of at least 200 miles, with some getting over 350-400, depending on certain factors. That's comparable to the range from a tank of gas on many passenger cars and more than enough for most commuters. The Chevy Bolt EV is in the lower end of that range, too, and while the BMW i3 and Nissan Leaf have shorter ranges, they're still enough for most people to get back and forth to work.

I'm not aware of anybody saying that we could completely eliminate the need for fossil fuels any time soon, but EV's have the potential to reduce our usage by a significant amount.

I think those mileage figures are a bit optimistic and are achieved under ideal (read unrealistic) driving conditions.

Electric vehicles would still be just a small fraction of the vehicles on our roads. Even now GM has a surplus of passenger cars as buyers are still going for the SUV's and pickups. This will probably increase as well as the economy picks up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hydrogen is the fuel of the near future. The only problem is storage, and that can be bypassed if the hydrogen and oxygen are taken from water as needed and used.

The bigger problem is the energy input needed to produce it. If nuclear produced electricity were used it might be economical.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If your cat is killing bald eagles, he's a badder cat than mine are.
Pigeons and robins will have to look out for themselves.

Wow. those goal posts moved faster than a windmill turbine.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
I would love to have peace on earth, and clean oceans and rivers, no pesticides or GMOs. Free energy and no pollution.
We could have all of that if we wanted it enough. None of those things have to get in the way of our needs or even luxuries.

We have to deal with reality at the moment, which means solar is more expensive than coal, and wind even more expensive, not to mention it kills way too many birds.
Economically speaking, the math is against what you're saying. Use of renewables is lowering the cost of electricity all over the world.
Environmentally, of course there are problems with things like dams and wind turbines, but surely you aren't suggesting that those problems are greater than the use of fossil fuels, are you?
For example, a dam might stop the run of migratory fish to their headwater breeding grounds. But coal mining simply removes those headwaters along with the entire watershed from the face of the earth.
Hydroelectric is not a good option, as seen in California recently.
Hydroelectric is one of the best options in the world as has been seen for decades.

Maybe we can change over in five or ten years as the technology for batteries and solar panels gets better and cheaper.
Wow! You're most optimistic than even a lot of ardent greenies are. But that's good, I like your attitude. So you must agree with the point of this video then, that it's a bad idea to pump up investment in fossil fuels when the changeover is on the verge of happening, no?

Upvote 0