Trump proposes compromise to end shutdown, Pelosi rejects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Have you written to or called Nancy Pelosi to tell her to put an end to this? She knows she could do it. She knows how. Saying a flat out "NO" like she did today isn't the way. Perhaps you should contact her.

Why? She already passed many bills to open some or all of the government on her first full day as speaker of the House.

House passes legislation to re-open government despite opposition from Trump

McConnell won't even allow those bills to be voted on in the Senate.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The same way that it made sense that a president did it in 2013. Yeah, I know. You'll call that a Whataboutism in order to dodge the issue. But you did ask the question.
No whataboutism here. You honestly thought that was a good move by Obama?

I'll remind you, that was over healthcare, not a pointless wall. It was mainly brought on by gridlock in Congress, and most important of all, Obama never said he'd be "proud to do it."

I'll leave it to you to look up what Trump had to say about our country's leadership at that time. See if you still agree with him now.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess I could contact Pelosi to cheer her on.

So, I think I will criticize Trump on the internet. It’s pretty fun, actually.

And the democrats say Trump is being childish.....:rolleyes:

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I am not president, so there is that difference...

But you're an adult, aren't you? That should make even more of a difference.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your analogy is totally flawed. If you steal my car, you've stolen something that originally belonged to me and was rightfully mine. Did citizenship already belong to people who entered our country illegally?

You are right, that analogy is flawed. A better one, I'm your boss but also live next door to you. I've decided that I want you to build a wall to protect the back of our properties, so that "illegals" don't climb over the fence and come into our back yard (ignoring the ones that come in from the side). You don't want the wall, note it won't help with people coming in through the side or the front, so I keep your paychecks until you give me the money to build that wall. This still isn't perfect, but it is much closer.

The Republicans and Democrats negotiated a deal to keep the government open in December, and Trump indicated he would sign it and to go ahead and pass it -- the vote in the Senate was close to unanimous. After that, Trump decided he wanted the wall and that the deal that the Democrats had already compromised on wasn't good enough, he required an extra $5.7 billion on top of the deal that had already been negotiated. There are good reasons the majority of Americans blame Trump -- especially when he came in at the 11th hour, after the deal had been negotiated.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At least Trump is trying. We need the Democrats to do the same:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-pr...-end-shutdown-source-160838537--business.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump proposed an immigration deal on Saturday in a bid to end a 29-day partial government shutdown, after House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other leading Democrats had already said they rejected the plan.

Trump stuck to his demand that $5.7 billion for this year to fund a U.S.-Mexico border wall be part of any bill to fully reopen the government, an ultimatum Democrats oppose. But the president had hoped that offering new protections for some undocumented immigrants could end a month long impasse with Congress.

In a speech from the White House, Trump offered to extend support for legislation to protect young undocumented immigrants, known as “Dreamers," as well as holders of temporary protected status (TPS).

Describing a U.S. immigration system that he called "badly broken," Trump said, "I am here today to break the logjam and provide Congress with a path forward to end the government shutdown and solve the crisis along the southern border."

He said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell would seek quick passage of his proposal.

Shortly before he spoke, Pelosi, the top U.S. Democrat, in a statement said the offer was "unacceptable" and did not "represent a good-faith effort to restore certainty to people's lives." She said the president's offer was unlikely to gain the votes needed to pass the House or Senate.

I am of the opinion that after Trump was refuted after this, the conversation is done. There are no words. There is no reasoning.

No more talk. Time to shove the agenda right down Nancey and Chucks throat.

(unwatched no need to respond) Done talking about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
But you're an adult, aren't you? That should make even more of a difference.

I am an adult. And, at work, I take responsibility like an adult, I work with my colleagues in my own group and outside my group like an adult, I consistently work for the best interests of my organization and the people it serves like an adult, if I disagree with how others are doing things I negotiate like an adult, and, if I have an idea that is shown to be flawed, I rethink my position like an adult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They'll get back pay. You realize that, right? Besides, don't people save back money for even a single month anymore in case of an income disruption? Federal jobs aren't exactly low-paying jobs.
The TSA agents that check in people and baggage are mostly part-time employees that have to work more than one job. This info. comes directly from their union president. That means they don't get paid well and they don't get benefits such as medical coverage. The salary for full time workers is 25,000 -

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll remind you, that was over healthcare, not a pointless wall. It was mainly brought on by gridlock in Congress, and most important of all, Obama never said he'd be "proud to do it."
There was a second reason, they needed to raise the debt limit and they didn't agree on that either.

• Informative
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jennifer Reuben describes the DACA "offer" well....and then offers a way out that does not involve extortion.

He would give partial relief to the dreamers and TPS people and get $5.7 billion for a wall; then he’d open the government.

Wait, you say. Wasn’t he the one who put DACA and TPS folks at risk, and haven’t the federal courts already given DACA beneficiaries a likely one-year reprieve? Well, yes. A burglar has broken into your home, has taken the silver and is now offering to lease it back to you for three years only — but first, give him a $5.7 billion edifice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...tive-trumps-extortion/?utm_term=.492b08788fd4

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unless it was something he knew would be rejected so he can sit back and wag his finger as if the Democrats are the unreasonable ones.

We'll have to wait and see. Not all deals are good deals.

Well put...

I suspected he intentionally tossed some provisions in there that he knew would be rejected, just to that it looks like "well, at least he's trying" and "see, the democrats are actually the ones being difficult here"

I will say, in his defense, it does seem like he's moved slightly off of some of this original hard-line mandates (which is good), but it's quite possibly the only reason he did that was so that, again, it would look like he's being the reasonable one (knowing full well it would be rejected due to other things that he has in there)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
There was a second reason, they needed to raise the debt limit and they didn't agree on that either.

Also, the disagreement in 2013 was over funding for the ACA - a law that was already in place. In addition, most people wanted the ACA funded at that point:
Obamacare Polls Show Why Ted Cruz Is Wrong

Unlike now where most people do not want the wall.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...on thing in particular he needs to do is to move off of the "well, I talked to border patrol agents, and they said" talking points. While they might be the front line for certain aspects, that doesn't them de facto credentials with regards to spending, budget, or immigration policy making.

It seems as if he's just latched on to an entity that happens to agree with what he already wanted to believe, so he's portraying it as if they're the ultimate experts on the matter. If they had rejected the wall as a solution, he'd be singing a different tune.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, they won't be taken care of. Yes, it gives them a three year reprieve but that is all. After that, they'll have no protections -- unless something can be passed which may actually (based on the willingness of Republicans) be impossible unless Democrats control the presidency and both houses of Congress. I tend to agree with Pelosi on this, the Dreamers need a path to citizenship.

At the same time, I disagree with the Democrats response -- "No" is not a good answer. Instead, they should have either said that it was a good start and they looked forward to negotiations starting again, or they could have responded with their own set of "compromises" they would be willing to trade.
And the Supreme Court isn’t going to hear the DACA case this term, so that dreamers already have at least a one year reprieve. Trump’s offer would really only give them two additional years, if that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...on thing in particular he needs to do is to move off of the "well, I talked to border patrol agents, and they said" talking points. While they might be the front line for certain aspects, that doesn't them de facto credentials with regards to spending, budget, or immigration policy making.

It seems as if he's just latched on to an entity that happens to agree with what he already wanted to believe, so he's portraying it as if they're the ultimate experts on the matter. If they had rejected the wall as a solution, he'd be singing a different tune.
They are very selective in who they quote among the property owners who live and ranch on the border. Many of them say that the increase of present border patrol agents has been the most helpful,
but when there's a just a barrier that isn't monitored it alone doesn't work very well, but they don't quote those people.

Then there's the story from the anonymous lady rancher who says she has found prayer rugs on her ranch. My first thought was...Why would a Muslim carry a prayer rug across the border and then abandon it when they will need it again in just a few hours? They pray 5 times a day. So I dismissed her story.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the Supreme Court isn’t going to hear the DACA case this term, so that dreamers already have at least a one year reprieve. Trump’s offer would really only give them two years, if that.
Didn't they say that they would be taking it up this summer session? I think that's in July.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.