Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the 20th of January 2021 Donald J Trump will no longer be the President of the United States.

There is a view among many Trump followers (and some worried Democrats) that Trump will continue to be a strong political force, as a public figure with a significant and active following, after losing the Presidency.

There is an alternative view.

When Trump loses the Presidency, he will also lose the status of the office along with the bully pulpit and megaphone it provides. This is important since Trump without the attraction of the Presidential office may not be able to sustain a following. His Tweets will become ordinary Tweets competing for public attention without the significance of the POTUS connection and power. The argument I’m suggesting here is that Trump’s drawing power depends largely on his role as POTUS. Without it he may fade away into the background as another disgruntled Tweeter.

To maintain a following an organisation needs a purpose. As far as I can tell Trump has no particular political direction or purpose apart from self-promotion and, perhaps, a negative role as a Spoiler. This raises the issue of what cause Trump followers would be fighting for apart from, perhaps, the re-election of Trump. The Tea Party is a relevant example of an organisation in decline due to the absence of a clear purpose. With no clear agenda it’s arguable that Trump’s drawing power as an ordinary individual, may not be sustainable.

There is a suggestion that a post-Presidential Trump will be subject to a battery of criminal charges and civil liabilities. Potential imprisonment and/or financial ruin has been mooted. Even if Trump is not convicted of a crime and escapes crippling civil liability, he may well lose reputation and be seriously distracted by defending against legal actions. Given his propensity for self-interest will a legally harassed Trump be interested in sustaining a following?

What I’ve outlined here are three reasons why a post-Presidential Trump may not represent a real political or social force.

What do you think?

OB

I'm not sure why Democrats think Trump has a "following"... I don't think he does... I just think he's just one of the 7 million who are leary of the Democrats, and was able to make it into the white house...

...The thing is, my Democrat governor has issued a 10:00 PM curfew, which is a stupid, authoritative idea IMO. I don't need a "leader" to tell me what to think or do. That's the difference in mindset between Democrats and Libertarians like myself.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Narcissists don’t give up ! Trump will cause problems until he’s out and he’ll continue to lie and cause problems to get his way . Well at least a little over half the country is tired of his lies, cons, misogyny, and racism.

We are a country of narcissist.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some people aren’t selfish . There’s Post 10 on youtube who prevents floods on his own time . Other people were encouraged by these to start monitoring their own neighborhoods to prevent floods and these videos are super relaxing .
F6B86CFF-413E-49B6-853E-333CC56B43B1.jpeg

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Has Trump ever succeeded in putting anyone he’s accused of crimes in jail? Anyone?

He has succeeded in having a portion of his administration and members of his inner circle locked up. Does that count?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm looking forward to the mass deconversions at the end of January when Trump isn't president and so many are convinced that their god would keep him in office. (Or maybe they won't.)

Me too. The effects of Evangelical Protestantism in American life are pernicious. It's lacking in basic moral education qualities, as evidenced by the huge amount of support Trump got.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Would you believe 215?
Ef_Tvp2UwAIqTd9

It's unbelievable that the news media have been so otherwise restrained in the face of unprecedented corruption and criminal activity in the highest levels of government.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm inviting discussion on the subject of Trump's impact as a continuing social and political force after he ceases to be the current POTUS.

The effectiveness of which will speak volumes about his followers.

If they continue to hang on his every word long after he loses his power and thus, relevance, it will do precious little to debunk the "cult" rumors that unfortunately plague them. If they forsake him and move on to the next ideologue, then people are going to dismiss them as followers looking for someone to tell them what to think.

I feel bad -- these folks have spent four years painting themselves into a corner...

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When we first moved into this house the neighbors communist cat and another neighbors communist pitbulls used to come into our yard, they firmly believe in open borders and dont hold any respect for the territory of others.

My cat however firmly believes it takes time and effort to establish ones territory, and it's not without its own battles. Once established, it also requires maintenance and guarding to keep out all the commies who don't respect her right to ownership, but she's on her game... no one, not pitbull nor cat will get through without her permission.

See, animals know instinctively that God creates rulers and borders, and it's to them to rule over it.

We can go down the list, but a nation without laws is no nation at all, and will soon find itself lost to her enemies...

Trumps voters are the same as they've been for decades, you just happily ignored our voices until we found a voice loud enough for you to hear..

Now that you know we are 73 million strong, will you work with us? Or will you continue to marginalize us and pretend we don't really exist?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
See, animals know instinctively that God creates rulers and borders, and it's to them to rule over it.

You make a compelling argument to behave like animals.

Now that you know we are 73 million strong, will you work with us? Or will you continue to marginalize us and pretend we don't really exist?

Last I checked, "we" were 329 million strong.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Trumps voters are the same as they've been for decades, you just happily ignored our voices until we found a voice loud enough for you to hear..

Trump voters didn't exist until 5 years ago. It's hard to be voter for a man not on a ballot.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure why Democrats think Trump has a "following"... I don't think he does... I just think he's just one of the 7 million who are leary of the Democrats, and was able to make it into the white house...

There is some truth in this -- it's not so much that the love Donald,but rather that they hate what he hates. Whether this distinction has a difference remains to be seen.

...The thing is, my Democrat governor has issued a 10:00 PM curfew, which is a stupid, authoritative idea IMO. I don't need a "leader" to tell me what to think or do. That's the difference in mindset between Democrats and Libertarians like myself.

And if you were to do something about it, you would no doubt get supportive tweets from Donald... which raises another thing -- does he control the angry mobs, or is he simply the biggest follower of them all?

Another distinction that may or may not have a difference.

Upvote 0