• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Trump post-Trump

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Occams Barber, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    On the 20th of January 2021 Donald J Trump will no longer be the President of the United States.

There is a view among many Trump followers (and some worried Democrats) that Trump will continue to be a strong political force, as a public figure with a significant and active following, after losing the Presidency.

There is an alternative view.

When Trump loses the Presidency, he will also lose the status of the office along with the bully pulpit and megaphone it provides. This is important since Trump without the attraction of the Presidential office may not be able to sustain a following. His Tweets will become ordinary Tweets competing for public attention without the significance of the POTUS connection and power. The argument I’m suggesting here is that Trump’s drawing power depends largely on his role as POTUS. Without it he may fade away into the background as another disgruntled Tweeter.

To maintain a following an organisation needs a purpose. As far as I can tell Trump has no particular political direction or purpose apart from self-promotion and, perhaps, a negative role as a Spoiler. This raises the issue of what cause Trump followers would be fighting for apart from, perhaps, the re-election of Trump. The Tea Party is a relevant example of an organisation in decline due to the absence of a clear purpose. With no clear agenda it’s arguable that Trump’s drawing power as an ordinary individual, may not be sustainable.

There is a suggestion that a post-Presidential Trump will be subject to a battery of criminal charges and civil liabilities. Potential imprisonment and/or financial ruin has been mooted. Even if Trump is not convicted of a crime and escapes crippling civil liability, he may well lose reputation and be seriously distracted by defending against legal actions. Given his propensity for self-interest will a legally harassed Trump be interested in sustaining a following?

What I’ve outlined here are three reasons why a post-Presidential Trump may not represent a real political or social force.

What do you think?

OB

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. apogee

apogee Regular Member

+405
    Christian
    Personally, I think he'll start wearing this.....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  3. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+17,436
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    You may be right about Trump, himself, but hs following still has a powerful and unifying political purpose: the end of abortion and "out" LGBTs. They will find a leader, but with no Christians values of his own and wthout the power of the office to offer them, I don't think Trump will be their man. I wonder who it will be?

4. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+2,453
    Non-Denom
    Keep in mind though if God has decided he will be he will be. Your statements really won't mean much. We'll see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    I thought God was into free will and non-interference.

OB

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+3,571
    Atheist
    Private
    I'm looking forward to the mass deconversions at the end of January when Trump isn't president and so many are convinced that their god would keep him in office. (Or maybe they won't.)

7. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

I suspect abortion will continue to be a strong political issue in the US. I see homosexuality/gay marriage becoming increasingly normalised while broader transgender issues, particularly gender transition, will probably remain as a problem.

As you suggested, I don't see Trump as a front man for an anti-abortion or anti-transition agenda.

OB

8. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+5,419
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    Narcissists don’t give up ! Trump will cause problems until he’s out and he’ll continue to lie and cause problems to get his way . Well at least a little over half the country is tired of his lies, cons, misogyny, and racism.

9. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

There's a famous 'Life of Brian' quote which fits here nicely;

"He's not the Messiah. He's just a naughty boy" :)

OB

10. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

I agree that Trump will continue to be Trump.

I'm theorising that he may become increasingly irrelevant - just another grumpy Tweeter.

OB

11. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,028
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Trump has been raising lots of money lately, with the majority going to his PAC, which will be needed for all the civil and criminal cases he, and his company, will be defending over the next few years.

12. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+2,468
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    No offense but is this about him personally? You seem to want to go there so I pass. How can you talk about someone you never meet, you know nothing about other then what some News Media or show or some book said. And any name calling done here came from someone on the left. Its just a quote what someone else said and "I like it I agree with it". Yet each of us do not like to be treated like this nor would we like it if they did it to our mom or dad or sis or spouse :)

This "They will find a leader, but with no Christians values of his own and without the power of the office to offer them"

A new leader that as of 19th asked about Covid and whats up Biden says "why do you guys always have to shout"... no answer.

Its so odd to me that almost all on the left say Trump lost its over move on. Yet all they do is STILL talk about him. He really got under the lefts skin. If your old enough you know "any press is good press".

13. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

If the money is donated to a PAC can it be legally used as Trump's personal legal defence fund?

OB

14. Hans Blaster

+3,571
    Atheist
    Private
    If he continues tweeting, I give him to about the end of January before his account is permanently suspended.

15. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    I'm inviting discussion on the subject of Trump's impact as a continuing social and political force after he ceases to be the current POTUS. The suggestion that it isn't possible to reach an opinion on someone's character unless you have personally met them is ridiculous. In Trump's case we have 1000's of Tweets, hours of video and a range of opinions from those close to him.

OB

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  16. Hans Blaster

+3,571
    Atheist
    Private
    He's still going to try. Then they can charge him for misappropriation of campaign funds and the cycle can resume. (Personal defense funds are perfectly legal. All kind of people have them, but you do have to fund raise specifically for that.)

17. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Thanks

OB

18. apogee

apogee Regular Member

+405
    Christian
    In 300 years time, historians and etymologists alike will attribute the phrase "Trumped-up charges" to the aftermath of the 2020 US Election.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Occams Barber

+4,641
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    As an etymological nerd with an interest in the history and evolution of the English language, I like you're thinking.

There's even a name for it - 'Folk Etymology'.

'Trumped-up' even has origins reminiscent of Trump:

"fabricate, devise," 1690s, from trump "deceive, cheat" (1510s), from Middle English trumpen (late 14c.), from Old French tromper "to deceive," of uncertain origin. Apparently from se tromper de "to mock," from Old French tromper "to blow a trumpet." Brachet explains this as "to play the horn, alluding to quacks and mountebanks, who attracted the public by blowing a horn, and then cheated them into buying ....
    trumped | Search Online Etymology Dictionary (etymonline.com)
    Sound familiar? :)
    OB

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. ToddNotTodd

ToddNotTodd Iconoclast

+3,135
    Seeker
    Married
    Trump lost. It’s over. Move on...