Trump pledged to permanently scrap the payroll taxes used to fund Social Security & Medicare

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
... if he wins re-election

Trump pledged to permanently scrap the payroll taxes used to fund Social Security and Medicare if he wins re-election

Here's a winner - hey senior voters, I'm going to defund your retirement and health care.

This is why I think Tr ump is going to cheat to win the election. These aren’t the ideas of someone who is trying to win the election. He must know he has this in the bag no matter what he says or does. Or he really doesn’t want to stay President and is poison pilling his campaign.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Here's a winner - hey senior voters, I'm going to defund your retirement and health care.

The spin is unbelievable. Did he say anything about defunding those programs? No. The government steals money from us in countless ways. They would just change the source of funding.

It's crap like this from his detractors, constantly and consistently, over the last few years that has blown their credibility forever.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
The spin is unbelievable. Did he say anything about defunding those programs? No. The government steals money from us in countless ways. They would just change the source of funding.

It's crap like this from his detractors, constantly and consistently, over the last few years that has blown their credibility forever.

Based on how Republicans have tried to repeal and replace the ACA for a decade now without ever having a plan to replace it, I won’t believe Republicans are planning to replace the funding source for Social Security and Medicare until they explicitly state that is part of their plan.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

The Republicans have been very clear that in their vision of the world people should save for their own retirement by investing their own money however they please. If they scrap SS contributions, why would you think they’d maintain the program long term?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Based on how Republicans have tried to repeal and replace the ACA for a decade now without ever having a plan to replace it, I won’t believe Republicans are planning to replace the funding source for Social Security and Medicare until they explicitly state that is part of their plan.
Trump promised he had a plan to replace it and that it was a better plan that wouldn't leave anyone out, everyone would be covered. Where is that plan?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If they scrap SS contributions, why would you think they’d maintain the program long term?
I'm certain that this will become a favorite campaign cry during this election, but there is no Social Security trust fund, even if people talk that way. The benefits are, in effect, paid from general revenues.

The Republicans have been very clear that in their vision of the world people should save for their own retirement by investing their own money however they please.

And also, when SS was established, it was understood by both parties that it was not intended, nor was it capable of being, a retirement/pension fund. That is still the position of the Social Security Administration. The monthly benefits were intended as a supplement to one's own retirement funds.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,144.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Att: Lincoln Project
Get his "pledge" out to every senior citizen in the country---along with information telling them how to register to vote or get mail-in ballots.
Include video--because there are some seniors who won't believe it unless they see him say it with their own eyes.
Albion, instead of comparing us to some 1930's template how about comparing us to all the other industrializded countries of the world? All have universal health care. Most have paid parental leave. Six week vacations. Free college (sometimes for those who qualify). Pensions.
We have a shrinking middle class and a low wage base and inequality.
Do you Republicans ever wonder why all our immigrants are coming from the third world? Why can't we get Norwegians to move here? It's because they are all doing better--with better work/life balance--in their own countries than they are here. I am retired, but many of the young people I know would like to move to Canada, and my middle child went to South Korea to live the American dream.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
... if he wins re-election

Trump pledged to permanently scrap the payroll taxes used to fund Social Security and Medicare if he wins re-election

If that is his plan, he's banking on the fact that many senior conservative voters aren't going to be terribly put off by this because cutting off funding for things now won't impact them negatively, it'll impact the groups that would start collecting it in about 10-15 years.

According to AARP, the current social security funds has the cash reserves to go through about 2035. At that point, the cash reserves would be exhausted, and the only funding they have would be the funding coming in via the Social Security tax.

If you have a staunch conservative voter that's 65-75 years of age, and despises democrats more than they care about the nation's current 50-55 year olds, this move is unlikely to move them from their current position.

This could hurt him with his middle-aged voter base. *Unless*, they view as something that'll be only temporary and that whoever his successor is will simply re-instate it...or they simply underestimate just how much they would need to count on social security in their retirement years. In a perfect world, people could/would adequately plan for their own retirement via their own private investments, 401k, etc... But for about 25% of the population, that's simply not an option due their current income:expense situation.

In that scenario, I can totally see a staunch conservatives (younger than 50) being okay with pausing social security funding for 4 years in order to give Trump 4 more years in office.

Political polarization makes people embrace some very short-sighted ideas.

As idiotic as this move sounds on the surface (pragmatically/economically speaking, it is idiotic...I'm strictly referring to voter retention strategies here), it'd probably only hurt him with conservatives making < $40k/year, who are in the 45-55 year age range.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The spin is unbelievable. Did he say anything about defunding those programs? No. The government steals money from us in countless ways

Fascinating. Why do you let them?

Also fascinating. It's their fault Donald has any support.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If that is his plan, he's banking on the fact that many senior conservative voters aren't going to be terribly put off by this because cutting off funding for things now won't impact them negatively, it'll impact the groups that would start collecting it in about 10-15 years.
In truth, it won't affect anyone's benefits unless the government goes broke. All the talk about trust funds is a joke.

However, as for cutting the payroll tax, Obama proposed the same thing. It caused no outcry about the sky falling. Now, however, it's Trump in the White House and no opportunity to criticize him can be allowed to pass unused.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Change it to what? Social Security pays out just over $1 trillion per year. About 90% of that comes from payroll taxes. That's not the kind of money we've got caught between the couch cushions.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,144.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you have a staunch conservative voter that's 65-75 years of age, and despises democrats more than they care about the nation's current 50-55 year olds, this move is unlikely to move them from their current position.

It seems as if seniors are already abandoning Trump in droves, especially in states like Florida. Some of them have gotten the feeling that he thinks they are expendable, that he doesn't care whether they live or die. I wouldn't call that inaccurate. As a senior, I am at the greatest risk if people don't wear masks, if they gather in large groups for concerts or rallies, etc. I am doing my best to lead a prudent life---but Trump is making it harder for us. We have a lot of living to do--I know I do--and we don't want to live like monks until there's a vaccine. I haven't been to a supermarket since March. I do see my family. I zoom with friends. My one "vice" is going to the gym. It is hospital based, and it has a large pool, therapy pool, hot tub. I've been going there for years and so I know when it will be emptiest. About 3 out of 6 days I have it all to myself...I live in dread that one day I'll go and it will be mobbed and I will have to go home, but I will go home.

As for young people, my three adult children and their friends think I'm too conservative (and those of you who've seen me post know that ain't true). They are Bernie and "the squad" fans--but they will vote for Biden because they realize that every day of a Trump administration is a national emergency.

I think most people I've met agree that it's a national emergency--but they can't be reminded enough.

Our big conundrum is whether to vote by mail. My state has enough early voting, and I'm retired, so I will go about 2 p.m. on a Wednesday afternoon a few weeks early. I don't trust the Lobbyist Ness Monster who will be running the post office. My advice to seniors is: wear masks. Wear goggles. Carry hand sanitizer. Wear gloves. Look for the quietest time and the quietest day. Don't let a rogue swamp creature running the post office steal your vote.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,144.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We're not all as lucky as you, Hank. My state is allowing absentee voting "for any reason" for the first time. We have to go to the website, download the application for an absentee ballot and send for it (with a picture of our drivers license or state ID). When the ballots are ready we'll get them in the mail. If I were to mail it back I would want to mail it in about 3 weeks early.

We do have about 1/3 of our city's polling places open daily and 1/2 day Saturday for early voting, and it just seems safer. I've always early voted and never had a wait.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have to go to the website, download the application for an absentee ballot and send for it (with a picture of our drivers license or state ID).
I had to do the same thing when I first started voting by mail-in ballot, that was before Colorado went to mail-in for all active, registered voters.

You've got a plan that you know is good for you.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

What sources of funding for these programs has Donald proposed to replace those he claims he wants to eliminate?

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0