Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trump on origins of coronavirus in Chinese lab: 'We're going to find out'
In video Trump explains US stance.

President Trump said Friday the federal government is investigating whether the novel coronavirus escaped from a Wuhan lab and pledged the U.S. government will find out how the deadly pandemic was unleashed from China.

Asked about the accuracy of news stories -- reported first at Fox News -- that COVID-19 likely started spreading first from a Wuhan lab and not from a Chinese wet market, Trump signaled the U.S. is taking the matter seriously.

"We're looking at it. A lot of people are looking at it. It seems to make sense," Trump told reporters Friday at the White House.

There is a lot of investigation going on and we're going to find out," Trump said of the origin of COVD-19.

Trump said the global pandemic could have been prevented had China taken action in the early days.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump on origins of coronavirus in Chinese lab: 'We're going to find out'

President Trump said Friday the federal government is investigating whether the novel coronavirus escaped from a Wuhan lab and pledged the U.S. government will find out how the deadly pandemic was unleashed from China.

Asked about the accuracy of news stories -- reported first at Fox News -- that COVID-19 likely started spreading first from a Wuhan lab and not from a Chinese wet market, Trump signaled the U.S. is taking the matter seriously.

"We're looking at it. A lot of people are looking at it. It seems to make sense," Trump told reporters Friday at the White House.

There is a lot of investigation going on and we're going to find out," Trump said of the origin of COVD-19.

Trump said the global pandemic could have been prevented had China taken action in the early days.

There's a proposal to sue the Chinese government regardless of the actual origin, based on their handling of the outbreak: https://henryjacksonsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Coronavirus-Compensation.pdf

Success will rely on China being willing to admit some culpabilty. They can't really deny having signed up to a legally enforcable agreement but losing face on that scale might be too much to accept. We'll see what happens I suppose.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gen. Jack Keane accuses China of 'criminal behavior,' says Xi 'doesn't care about loss of life' from pandemic

Fox News senior strategic analyst Gen. Jack Keane joined "The Story" Friday to discuss the escalating tension between the United States and China, telling host Martha MacCallum the Communist country needs to be held accountable for the coronavirus pandemic.

"Strategically, this administration reset the table when they came in and they saw China not as a country that was a competitor, which is to be sure, and not as a country that is one that we should cooperate with, and on certain levels we should," Keane said.

"But they saw China as a predator economically, geopolitically and militarily. And the change in policy, and it's playing out before our eyes, is that at times we have to confront China and we have to do it with our allies. And that's a completely different policy from the past and that's all pre-pandemic."

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Trump on origins of CV in Chinese Lab : we're going to find out

The handling of the COVID-19 pandemic by China may leave something to be desired, but it is highly doubtful that it was a deliberate act and it shouldn't be used as a pretext for another Cold War!

It is thought that the second and deadliest wave of the Spanish Flu first mutated in Kansas, so when it comes to holding others accountable for pandemics, Americans may want to think twice before they start hurling self-righteous accusations!

This President is only interested in finding another "scapegoat" onto which to shift the blame for his own failures to recognize the magnitude of the problem and to take decisive actions like South Korea and Germany during those first few months - instead of retreating into a fantasy world of denials!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The handling of the COVID-19 pandemic by China may leave something to be desired, but it is highly doubtful that it was a deliberate act
The only people who claim the Chinese government never deliberately lied seem to be the Chinese government and their buddies in WHO. Everybody else has a different opinion.

and it shouldn't be used as a pretext for another Cold War!
A "cold" war isn't what anybody is considering right now, from the sounds of things.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whoa, wake up everyone - we're IN a cold war - in the miry thick of it! And it's not of our doing.

And the past Obama administration only helped the other side to attain a very tight stronghold.
M

• Agree
Reactions: DerSchweik
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
The only people who claim the Chinese government never deliberately lied seem to be the Chinese government and their buddies in WHO. Everybody else has a different opinion.
HOW QUICK THEY FORGET

Jan. 22, Twitter:

One of the many great things about our just signed giant Trade Deal with China is that it will bring both the USA & China closer together in so many other ways. Terrific working with President Xi, a man who truly loves his country. Much more to come!”

Jan. 24, Twitter:
“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

Jan. 29, Remarks at signing ceremony for the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement:

“And, honestly, I think, as tough as this negotiation was, I think our relationship with China now might be the best it's been in a long, long time. And now it's reciprocal. Before, we were being ripped off badly. Now we have a reciprocal relationship, maybe even better than reciprocal for us.”

Jan. 30, Fox News interview:

"China is not in great shape right now, unfortunately. But they're working very hard. We'll see what happens. But we're working very closely with China and other countries."

Feb. 7, Remarks at North Carolina Opportunity Now Summit in Charlotte, N.C.:
"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus.
It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can."

Feb. 7, Twitter:

“Just had a long and very good conversation by phone with President Xi of China. He is strong, sharp and powerfully focused on leading the counterattack on the Coronavirus. He feels they are doing very well, even building hospitals in a matter of only days … Great discipline is taking place in China, as President Xi strongly leads what will be a very successful operation. We are working closely with China to help!

Feb. 7, Remarks before Marine One departure:

"Late last night, I had a very good talk with President Xi, and we talked about — mostly about the coronavirus. They're working really hard, and I think they are doing a very professional job. They're in touch with World — the World — World Organization. CDC also. We're working together. But World Health is working with them. CDC is working with them. I had a great conversation last night with President Xi. It's a tough situation. I think they're doing a very good job.”

Feb. 10, Fox Business interview:
"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."

Feb. 10, campaign rally in Manchester, N.H.:
“I spoke with President Xi, and they’re working very, very hard. And I think it’s all going to work out fine.”

Feb. 13, Fox News interview:
“I think they've handled it professionally and I think they're extremely capable and I think President Xi is extremely capable and I hope that it's going to be resolved."

Feb. 18, remarks before Air Force One departure:

“I think President Xi is working very hard. As you know, I spoke with him recently. He’s working really hard. It’s a tough problem. I think he’s going to do — look, I’ve seen them build hospitals in a short period of time. I really believe he wants to get that done, and he wants to get it done fast. Yes, I think he’s doing it very professionally.”

Feb. 23, remarks before Marine One departure:
"I think President Xi is working very, very hard. I spoke to him. He's working very hard. I think he's doing a very good job. It's a big problem. But President Xi loves his country. He's working very hard to solve the problem, and he will solve the problem. OK?"

Feb. 26, remarks at a business roundtable in New Delhi, India:
“China is working very, very hard. I have spoken to President Xi, and they’re working very hard.
And if you know anything about him, I think he’ll be in pretty good shape. They’re — they’ve had a rough patch, and I think right now they have it — it looks like they’re getting it under control more and more. They’re getting it more and more under control.”

Feb. 27, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:

“I spoke with President Xi. We had a great talk. He’s working very hard, I have to say. He’s working very, very hard. And if you can count on the reports coming out of China, that spread has gone down quite a bit. The infection seems to have gone down over the last two days. As opposed to getting larger, it’s actually gotten smaller.”

Feb. 29, Coronavirus Task Force press conference:
“China seems to be making tremendous progress. Their numbers are way down. … I think our relationship with China is very good.
We just did a big trade deal. We’re starting on another trade deal with China — a very big one. And we’ve been working very closely. They’ve been talking to our people, we’ve been talking to their people, having to do with the virus.”

15 times Trump praised China as coronavirus was spreading across the globe
********************************************************************************************************
Given the 15 accounts from this President in January and February, Trump didn't express any concern about the source of the virus and he repeatedly characterized America's relationship with China as "very good!"

There is no mention of the "China virus" or dissatisfaction with President Xi's management of the problem!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When the Chinese government handed all those patents over to Ivanka and gave one of his projects a huge loan just before Trump bailed out a Chinese conglomerate, he didn't seem so aggressive about China.

Trump is scared; he knows he bungled the COVID-19 pandemic, and he's flailing around trying to find a way to blame someone else for it.

That's his M.O. every time messes up. "Find someone I can blame for this."

Upvote 0