Trump on a pardoning rampage: Blagojevich, Milken, NYPD commish, former Niners owner...

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Trump grants clemency to 11, including former junk bond king Michael Milken

President Trump Tuesday granted full pardons to seven convicted felons including Michael Milken, the former junk bond king who became a face of the insider trading financial scandals of the 1980s.

Trump also commuted the sentence of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, found guilty nine years ago for trying to sell an open U.S. Senate seat.

Trump announced the news at Joint Base Andrews as he embarked on a four-day west coast swing and just hours after the White House announced the first pardon, that of former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo, Jr., who was convicted in a gambling fraud scandal.

He said he also commuted the prison sentence of former New York Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik, who led the department after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and was sentenced to four years in prison in 2010 after pleading guilty to eight felony charges, including tax fraud and lying to investigators.

Trump also issued full pardons to Ariel Friedler, Paul Pogue, David Safavian and Angela Stanton. And he commuted sentences for three others: Tynice Nichole Hall, Crystal Munoz and Judith Negron.

The mass clemency continued a run of brazen actions by the president to intercede in matters of law and order following his Senate acquittal on articles of impeachment.

The president made clear he has not ruled out pardoning Roger Stone, who is scheduled to be sentenced Thursday.

I'm sure Roger got the message.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Mostly millionaires.

Check this guy, though.

David Safavian has dedicated his life to criminal justice reform after serving nearly a year in prison. Mr. Safavian was convicted of making false statements and of obstructing an investigation into a trip he took while he was a senior government official. Having served time in prison and completed the process of rejoining society with a felony conviction, Mr. Safavian is uniquely positioned to identify problems with the criminal justice system and work to fix them.

We need a convicted perjurer on our team!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What?? No drug dealers like his predecessor?

There's a couple.

Tynice Nichole Hall is a 36-year-old mother who has served nearly 14 years of an 18-year sentence for allowing her apartment to be used to distribute drugs.

In May 2006, Hall was convicted by a federal jury in Lubbock on five counts of an indictment charging conspiracy to distribute, possess with intent to distribute and manufacture cocaine base (crack cocaine); one count of possession with intent to distribute cocaine base (crack cocaine); one count of possession of cocaine with intent to manufacture cocaine base (crack cocaine); possession of firearms in furtherance of drug trafficking crimes; and receipt of firearms by a person under felony indictment. Hall had in her possession one-half pound of crack cocaine, one-half pound of powder cocaine, 12 kilogram wrappers, approximately 13 pounds of baking soda and two firearms, including a Tec-9 loaded with 27 rounds believed to be used in drive-by shootings.

Crystal Munoz has spent the past 12 years in prison as a result of a conviction for having played a role in a smuggling ring involving 1000 kg of marijuana.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What?? No drug dealers like his predecessor?
Didn't Trump let a woman drug smuggler out? Anyways ,I don't think presidents should be allow to pardon anyone.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is one of those times I do not see the reasoning behind the action, and disagree at this point in time. I'm thinking this is a setup to something Trump is planning. Maybe Roger Stone? I'm interested in looking into this.

It honestly makes me wonder if they know something. Did they turn federal evidence to reduce sentencing in a form of some agreement? Do they have dirt?

I am being completely speculative, but I feel there is something here. Might be wrong, I do not however think this was perpetrated out of the kindness of Trump's heart. This is a play in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
This is one of those times I do not see the reasoning behind the action, and disagree at this point in time. I'm thinking this is a setup to something Trump is planning. Maybe Roger Stone?

Yeah, that was my first thought. Stone gets sentenced on Thursday. This is Trump reassuring Stone. 'Don't spill the beans on what you did for me to get a lighter sentence. I've got your (Nixon-covered) back. Nobody can stop me from pardoning anyone I like -- see?'

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is one of those times I do not see the reasoning behind the action, and disagree at this point in time. I'm thinking this is a setup to something Trump is planning.

Well, these are not longtime friends of the president, so that faux outrage is out the window. It appears he felt that the sentences of these people were out of synch with the severity of the offenses.

That would be consistent with the already-enacted prison reform legislation passed overwhelmingly by Congress (the "First Step Act") and actively backed by Trump which applied to drug users, three-time offenders, and other less well-known persons made eligible for release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, that was my first thought. Stone gets sentenced on Thursday. This is Trump reassuring Stone. 'Don't spill the beans on what you did for me to get a lighter sentence. I've got your (Nixon-covered) back. Nobody can stop me from pardoning anyone I like -- see?'

That may be true. And is exactly why all the political animosity has to stop amongst the citizenry. If we are looking at each other we are not looking into the facts. I would say run with it.... what do you have to offer supporting that assumption?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,869.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Mostly millionaires.

Check this guy, though.

David Safavian has dedicated his life to criminal justice reform after serving nearly a year in prison. Mr. Safavian was convicted of making false statements and of obstructing an investigation into a trip he took while he was a senior government official. Having served time in prison and completed the process of rejoining society with a felony conviction, Mr. Safavian is uniquely positioned to identify problems with the criminal justice system and work to fix them.

We need a convicted perjurer on our team!
Poachers are said to make the best gamekeepers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It appears he felt that the sentences of these people were out of synch with the severity of the offenses.

I would have to ask why the president of the United States is concerned about these particular individuals that were justily charged with crimes. Some of whom confessed. Others who are recorded in the act, or to the fact of the act, and were found guilty in a court of law.

Someone who was railroaded, perhaps wrongly convicted I would understand. This just brings questions to me. Im inquisitive.

That would be consistent with the already-enacted prison reform legislation passed in Congress that applied to drug users, three-time offenders, and other less well-known persons made eligible for release.

Is the President going to sit down and personally review the records of convicted felons serving time? Isn't there a method of appeal of some sorts?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I prefer Presidents pardoning people before the last few days of their final term. I especially think it best if they pardon people in an election year in which that President is up for reelection. Not thinking to himself " I will have more flexibility after the election.".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would have to ask why the president of the United States is concerned about these particular individuals that were justily charged with crimes.
I take it you've ruled out "because it is fair."

If so, you will have to confront the fact that it was supported by big majorities of both political parties in both houses of Congress. Almost everything else coming their way would get a cold shoulder from at least the Democrats so long as Trump was in favor of it.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Trump grants clemency to 11, including former junk bond king Michael Milken

President Trump Tuesday granted full pardons to seven convicted felons including Michael Milken, the former junk bond king who became a face of the insider trading financial scandals of the 1980s.

Trump also commuted the sentence of former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, found guilty nine years ago for trying to sell an open U.S. Senate seat.

Trump announced the news at Joint Base Andrews as he embarked on a four-day west coast swing and just hours after the White House announced the first pardon, that of former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo, Jr., who was convicted in a gambling fraud scandal.

He said he also commuted the prison sentence of former New York Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik, who led the department after the 9/11 terrorist attacks and was sentenced to four years in prison in 2010 after pleading guilty to eight felony charges, including tax fraud and lying to investigators.

Trump also issued full pardons to Ariel Friedler, Paul Pogue, David Safavian and Angela Stanton. And he commuted sentences for three others: Tynice Nichole Hall, Crystal Munoz and Judith Negron.

The mass clemency continued a run of brazen actions by the president to intercede in matters of law and order following his Senate acquittal on articles of impeachment.

The president made clear he has not ruled out pardoning Roger Stone, who is scheduled to be sentenced Thursday.

I'm sure Roger got the message.

The words "Pardon" and "Rampage" don't go very well together in a sentence, especially when one is meant to describe the other. Otherwise, Jesus died on the cross in a rampage of offering forgiveness to sinners.

Upvote 0