• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. Christian Forum Rules
    There have been a variety of rule changes in the recent months, so please review the Terms and Christian Forum Rules. If you have questions about a particular rule, please start a thread in Contact Us.

Trump NOT Mentally Ill - Just Unpleasant

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by DaisyDay, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+4,840
    Unitarian
    Married
    Says the guy who wrote the book. And it doesn't qualify for a personality disorder, either.

The professor emeritus of psychiatry at Duke University Medical College goes on to state:
    Mr. Trump causes severe distress rather than experiencing it and has been richly rewarded, rather than punished, for his grandiosity, self-absorption and lack of empathy. It is a stigmatizing insult to the mentally ill (who are mostly well behaved and well meaning) to be lumped with Mr. Trump (who is neither).

Bad behavior is rarely a sign of mental illness, and the mentally ill behave badly only rarely. Psychiatric name-calling is a misguided way of countering Mr. Trump’s attack on democracy. He can, and should, be appropriately denounced for his ignorance, incompetence, impulsivity and pursuit of dictatorial powers.

His psychological motivations are too obvious to be interesting, and analyzing them will not halt his headlong power grab. The antidote to a dystopic Trumpean dark age is political, not psychological.​

So stop insulting the mentally ill with these comparisons!

2. Paul of Eugene OR

Paul of Eugene OR Finally Old Enough Supporter

+847
    Baptist
    Married
    He's got a point there.

3. TX_Matt

TX_Matt Theological Mutt CF Ambassadors

+4,589
    Christian
    Single
    He doesn't meet them because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder. He also doesn't meet 5 of the 9 requirements to be diagnosed with NPD. These criteria mean in ways that substantially differ from cultural norms.

- Exaggerates own importance
    - Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence or ideal romance
    - Believes he or she is special and can only be understood by other special people or institutions
    - Requires constant attention and admiration from others
    - Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
    - Takes advantage of others to reach his or her own goals
    - Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
    - Is often envious of others or believes other people are envious of him or her
    - Shows arrogant behaviors and attitudes

While technically it only requires 5 of 9, most people that are diagnosed with NPD have almost all of them if not all of them. Like Dr. Francis, the key thing he does not have is that it is severe enough to significantly impair his ability to develop relationships, and ability function at work or in other important social settings. A person with true untreated NPD would likely never able to become president because he could not form the relationships necessary to reach that goal.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. redleghunter

redleghunter Trust & Obey Supporter

+11,458
    Christian
    Married
    We were long overdue for an unpleasant president.

5. wing2000

wing2000 Ex Crosswalk Member Supporter

+1,584
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, what a role mode for our young men. Every day my son comments on the latest Trump tweets....I still can't explain to him how our generation managed to vote in a man with no character or principles.

6. JackRT

JackRT I'm on the left.

+4,624
    Un. Church of CA
    Married
    I greatly fear that this will not end well either for the American people or for Donald Trump himself.

7. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+2,198
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Actually, we were long overdue for an effective president. We've had plenty of them that "go along to get along", who phrase everything they say ever-so-carefully so as not to offend, and read from a teleprompter like a pro, even though the words they read from it were written by someone else.

It's about time we have a president who speaks from the heart rather than from the teleprompter, and doesn't hold back just because he's afraid he'll offend someone. People are tired of politicians who do that, and that's one of the reasons they voted for our current president.

8. franky67

franky67 Senior Veteran

+291
    Word of Faith
    First real "Nationalist" president we have had in nearly 100 years, which is easy to understand why so many "Swamp Residents" hate his guts.

9. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member

+2,193
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Democrat
    I don't see it as intentionally belittling the mentally ill. Many personality disorders cause more suffering to other people, which makes them distinct from other mental illnesses. In addition, many people with antisocial personalities, for instance, we would easily label as bad, evil, etc. It's not being cruel to say "I'd rather not be around somebody that is psychopath", that's being sane and realistic.

Most people that would meet the definition of narcissistic personality, schizoid personality, etc., are never diagnosed, esp. those who are like Trump, and do not have every symptom. No reason to be, as there is little or no self-reported distress and impairment, nor do they usually get into legal troubles. That doesn't change the reality that Donald Trump has displayed many of the characteristics of someone with a narcissistic personality, and people have been formally diagnosed based on similar number of symptoms.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  10. FireDragon76

+2,193
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Democrat
  11. redleghunter

+11,458
    Christian
    Married
    Appeasement is not a good quality to teach young men.

What is Trump teaching all young people right now? If you make a promise to fix something you need to work hard to accomplish the task at hand.

12. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+4,840
    Unitarian
    Married
    More like overweening self-promotion is more valuable than truth, facts or actual knowledge.

13. redleghunter

+11,458
    Christian
    Married
    Truman dropped two atomic bombs on civilian targets during WW2 and both FDR and Truman had no issues mercilessly fire bombing German cities killing civilians.

I'd take unpleasant any day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. FireDragon76

+2,193
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Democrat
    To make an omelette, you have to break some eggs?

I don't see what was so bad about the country we used to have that it needed these drastic measures.

15. crjmurray

crjmurray The Bear. Not The Bull.

+1,115
    Deist
    Private
    It's easy to explain. Just be honest. The world is full of terrible people.

16. HerbieHeadley

HerbieHeadley North American Energy Independence Now!

+1,039
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    To state that President Donald Trump has a "lack of empathy" is unjust and proves this thread is a farce and is undeserving any further attention.

17. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+4,840
    Unitarian
    Married
    That was said by a top psychiatrist - how is this unjust or make this thread a farce? This thread disputes that Donald is mentally ill - I would expect you to embrace that.

18. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+1,724
    Atheist
    Married
    It's still extremely early, but it remains to be seen how effective DJT will be. So far, all he's done is talk. His most substantive act was blocked by the courts.

Even if he doesn't meet the criteria for NPD, his personality may be particularly unsuitable for a President. Because our government only works through compromise. That's not a dirty word, or a sign of weakness. It's how our government was designed. A bombastic, authoritarian, take-no-prisoners, strong-man style of leadership will accomplish nothing. If Pres. Trump doesn't learn this, he will be a spectacularly ineffectual failure.

19. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+2,198
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Not so much as being "bad about the country" as being that the government has been so out of touch with the people that these measures being done so suddenly seem drastic.

20. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+2,198
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Compromise only works for one side if it's the other side that's forced to compromise. If I come to you and say, "Give me all your money which is $100, and you give me $50 as a compromise, I got half of what I wanted. Then I come back 5 minutes later and demand the other $50 and you give me $25 of it as a compromise, I got only half of what I wanted again. Then another 5 minutes later I demand $25 and you give me $12.50, well I think you understand. Eventually, you have nothing and I end up with it all. That's why compromise doesn't work if it's only one side doing all the compromising.