Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You may recall Trump getting booed at his rallies for encouraging his supporters to get vaccinated, or when he announced he received a booster shot. He's apparently gotten the message, and adapted.

Trump finds the one word he’ll no longer say to his own followers

“We did so much in terms of therapeutics and a word that I’m not allowed to mention,” Trump told the crowd while referencing vaccines. “But I’m still proud of that word! Because we did that in nine months, and it was supposed to take five years to 12 years. Nobody else could have done it.”

He added, in reference to the “v” word, “I’m not mentioning it in front of my people.”

Trump clearly wanted to brag about the development of the lifesaving vaccines, but he also wanted to avoid getting booed by his own acolytes, so he tried to split the difference: The former president said he's “proud” of the the scientific breakthrough that he’s now afraid to reference out loud.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok.. but there were more cheers then some that booed. Allot of speculation in why what president Trump said lol. Left have no problem using "V" words.. you about abortion and what they should do. The left say nothing but haha president Trump.. praise GOD glory to Jesus.. well any press is good press.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I recall that the first Covid vaccine was developed and made publicly available was produced by Oxford University/AstraZeneca, developed in the UK and manufactured in Belgium as part of an international collaboration. It is distributed on a non-profit basis.

Two more reasons for Trump not to use the v-word...

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think in a lot of cases, some of "his people" are afraid to mention out of fear of what some of "his other people" may think of them.

I have a family member who I know got vaccinated, but still goes on and on when he's around his fellow MAGA peeps about how he would never take it because "I'm not going to let the globalists inject me with some gene therapy"

It reminds me of the old joke about how Southern Baptists sneak all sneak over to the liquor store one at a time so that the other members of the congregation won't see them there, then they all bash drinking when they're together on Sundays.

We know that only half of the country were Trump supporters, but that 80% of the country have taken the vaccine. (and a good chunk of that remaining 20% are kids who are too young to get it)

Even if 100% of democrats were vaccinated (which isn't the case), that would still mean that there were more vaccinated Trump supporters than unvaccinated ones.

Yet, opposing the vaccine when out in public seems to be a way to maintain "street cred" with ones own tribe, so to speak.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You may recall Trump getting booed at his rallies for encouraging his supporters to get vaccinated, or when he announced he received a booster shot. He's apparently gotten the message, and adapted.

Trump finds the one word he’ll no longer say to his own followers

We did so much in terms of therapeutics and a word that I’m not allowed to mention,” Trump told the crowd while referencing vaccines. “But I’m still proud of that word! Because we did that in nine months, and it was supposed to take five years to 12 years. Nobody else could have done it.”

He added, in reference to the “v” word, “I’m not mentioning it in front of my people.”

Trump clearly wanted to brag about the development of the lifesaving vaccines, but he also wanted to avoid getting booed by his own acolytes, so he tried to split the difference: The former president said he's “proud” of the the scientific breakthrough that he’s now afraid to reference out loud.

This sounds completely dodgy and fake to me mate. I have a very, very hard time believing Trump said "we" not "I".

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I recall that the first Covid vaccine was developed and made publicly available was produced by Oxford University/AstraZeneca, developed in the UK and manufactured in Belgium as part of an international collaboration. It is distributed on a non-profit basis.

Two more reasons for Trump not to use the v-word...
where did a large amount of the funding for that come from?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
where did a large amount of the funding for that come from?

I'm glad you asked...well, I'd be gladder if you'd spent 5 seconds on google, but anyway, someone wrote a paper on this very subject.

Who funded the research behind the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine?

until December 2019, the biggest funders of ChAdOx R&D were the European Commission (34.0%), Wellcome Trust (20.4%) and Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (17.5%). Since January 2020, the UK government contributed 95.5% of funding identified.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad you asked...well, I'd be gladder if you'd spent 5 seconds on google, but anyway, someone wrote a paper on this very subject.

Who funded the research behind the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine?

until December 2019, the biggest funders of ChAdOx R&D were the European Commission (34.0%), Wellcome Trust (20.4%) and Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (17.5%). Since January 2020, the UK government contributed 95.5% of funding identified.
Yes in less than 5 seconds I found the answer that I expected.
AstraZeneca receives $1 billion in U.S. funding for Oxford University coronavirus vaccine
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/coronavirus-us-gives-astrazenena-1-billion-for-oxford-vaccine.html

Upvote 0