loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Donald Trump Moves to Deport Vietnam War Refugees - The Atlantic
The Trump administration is resuming its efforts to deport certain protected Vietnamese immigrants who have lived in the United States for decades—many of them having fled the country during the Vietnam War.

This is the latest move in the president’s long record of prioritizing harsh immigration and asylum restrictions, and one that’s sure to raise eyebrows—the White House had hesitantly backed off the plan in August before reversing course. In essence, the administration has now decided that Vietnamese immigrants who arrived in the country before the establishment of diplomatic ties between the United States and Vietnam are subject to standard immigration law—meaning they are all eligible for deportation.
tulc( :sigh: )

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably horse manure.
Do you have some information that shows what you say is true? :scratch:

Remember it was the Dems who didn't want to go through with DACA anymore.
what I remember is the Republicans snuffed (as per President Trumps campagn promise of "ending DACA "on day one") and they (the Republicans) then pretended it was the Democrats fault for it.
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals - Wikipedia
While running for president, Donald Trump declared he intended to repeal DACA on "day one" of his presidency.[110]

On February 14, 2017, a CNN report on the detention of 23-year-old Daniel Ramirez Medina in Northwest Detention Center,[111] Tacoma, Washington following his arrest in his father's Des Moines, Washington home, observed that "The case raises questions about what it could mean" for the 750,000 Dreamers, who had "received permission to stay under DACA."[111][112] On March 7, 22-year-old Daniela Vargas of Jackson, Mississippi, another DACA recipient, was detained by ICE, further raising speculation about President Trump's commitment to Dreamers and questioning whether immigrants who speak out against the administration's policies should fear retaliation.[113] Vargas was released from LaSalle Detention Center on March 10, 2017[114] and Ramirez Medina's release followed on March 29.[115]

On June 16, 2017, the United States Department of Homeland Security announced it intended to repeal the executive order by the Barack Obama administration that expanded the DACA program, although the DACA program's overall existence would continue to be reviewed.[116]

On September 5, 2017, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the program is being repealed. Sessions stated that the DACA-eligible individuals were lawbreakers who adversely impacted the wages and employment of native-born Americans.[117] Sessions also attributed DACA as a leading cause behind the surge in unaccompanied minors coming to the United States from Central America.[117] President Trump said that "virtually all" "top legal experts" believed that DACA was unconstitutional.[117] Fact-checkers have said that only a few economists believe DACA adversely affects native-born workers, that there is scant evidence that DACA caused the surge in unaccompanied minors, and that it is false that all "top legal experts" believe DACA to be unconstitutional.[46][118]

Sessions added that implementation would be suspended for six months; DACA status and Employment Authorization Documents ("EAD") that expired during the next six months would continue to be renewed. DACA recipients with a work permit set to expire on or before March 5, 2018 would have the opportunity to apply for a two-year renewal if their application was received by USCIS by October 5, 2017.[119] In a follow-up statement, Trump said "It is now time for Congress to act!"[120] The approximately 800,000 immigrants who qualified for enrollment in DACA would become eligible for deportation by the end of those six months.[117] A White House memo stated that DACA recipients should "use the time remaining on their work authorizations to prepare for and arrange their departure from the United States."[121]
so I'm not sure how you remember it but this is how I remember it. :wave:
tulc(was hoping the whole Vietnam war was finally over but see's it's still going on) :sigh:

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We're going to deport people to a Communist country who have lived in this country for 30/40 years and haven't broken any laws?
What is Trump thinking! I'm starting to believe he really is a white nationalist which I really didn't believe before.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still reading, but I'm wondering if he is talking about criminals - clip from article:

Katie Waldman, a spokeswoman for DHS said: “We have 5,000 convicted criminal aliens from Vietnam with final orders of removal—these are non-citizens who during previous administrations were arrested, convicted, and ultimately ordered removed by a federal immigration judge. It’s a priority of this administration to remove criminal aliens to their home country.”

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We're going to deport people to a Communist country who have lived in this country for 30/40 years and haven't broken any laws?

Well, the proposal relates to convicted criminals who arrived from Vietnam before 1995. Most of these people had deportation orders issued by previous administrations.

And my math might be rusty, but 1995 is not 30/40 years ago. I imagine that all the Vietnamese people from the actual war period are either citizens or green-card holders.

But it all hinges on which of these people Vietnam will actually take back. And the answer there is: not many.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is Trump thinking!

These were people who were ARVN soldiers, or worked with U.S. forces. We owe them a place of refuge. Cadet Bone Spurs thinks only suckers served in the military; why would he care about the people who helped us?

I'm starting to believe he really is a white nationalist which I really didn't believe before.

It would explain a lot of things, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
“Forty-three years ago, a lot of the Southeast Asian communities and Vietnamese communities fled their countries and their homeland due to the war, which the U.S. was involved in, fleeing for their safety and the safety of their families,” said Kevin Lam, the organizing director of the Asian American Resource Workshop, an advocacy group. “The U.S. would do well to remember that.”
Donald Trump Moves to Deport Vietnam War Refugees - The Atlantic

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems to be those refugees who then came over and violated the terms of agreement who the administration alleges are “violent criminal aliens." That's usually how it goes with deportation and countries, but it seems our country had a previous agreement to look the other way and still let them stay here if they continued being violent or criminal offenders. Trump is wanting to change that. I'm not one for going back on previous agreements so I'm not necessarily behind this, but I can understand not keeping the criminals here who violate the terms of immigration. I get Vietnam being annoyed since they wouldn't want to deal with having their people back who are criminals causing them issues and money loss in their own country.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems to be those refugees who then came over and violated the terms of agreement who the administration alleges are “violent criminal aliens."

Nope. Trump wants to deport them even if they were not violent or criminal.

That's usually how it goes with deportation and countries, but it seems our country had a previous agreement to look the other way and still let them stay here if they continued being violent or criminal offenders.

No. Nothing like that in the agreement. He just lied about that. These are men and women who aided the United States in Vietnam. We let them in because they would face persecution in Vietnam,and because it was the honorable thing to do.

Trump is wanting to change that.

"Honorable" is not a word that comes to mind, thinking of Trump.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. Trump wants to deport them even if they were not violent or criminal.

No. Nothing like that in the agreement. He just lied about that. These are men and women who aided the United States in Vietnam. We let them in because they would face persecution in Vietnam,and because it was the honorable thing to do.

"Honorable" is not a word that comes to mind, thinking of Trump.

I know you aren't getting your information from the article posted.

So where are you getting this from?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know you aren't getting your information from the article posted.

It's a lie about "only violent criminals." Here's an example:

Sear Un, a forty-one-year-old father who has lived in California since he was seven, was arrested by immigration authorities in September. Twenty years ago, he was convicted of felony residential burglary. While two friends robbed a house in San Diego County, Un waited for them in a car; according to a writ of habeas corpus that was recently filed by his attorneys, his friends paid him twenty-five dollars in gas money plus a hundred dollars from the proceeds of the robbery.

He stayed in the U.S. under an order of supervision, and his conviction was eventually expunged.

A Cambodian Refugee with a Decades-Old Conviction and a Pregnant Wife Fights Deportation

Came as a child, never been in trouble since that conviction. Married with a child and one on the way.

The former US ambassador to Vietnam, Ted Osius, wrote in an essay in April 2018 that the Vietnamese government did not want to accept the deportees, and that he resigned shortly after the Trump administration directed him to press Hanoi officials.

"The majority targeted for deportation — sometimes for minor infractions — were war refugees who had sided with the United States, whose loyalty was to the flag of a nation that no longer exists," he wrote. "And they were to be 'returned' decades later to a nation ruled by a communist regime."
The Trump administration is renewing its push to deport thousands of Vietnamese immigrants with criminal convictions — including some war refugees who have lived in the US for years

Trump, of course, dodged that war, having got a doctor to certify that he had "bone spurs" (which miraculously disappeared after the draft ended). So every reminder of the Vietnam War is a reminder of his lack of patriotism. He wants them all gone.

Upvote 0