✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does that mean the laid off employees get booted twice?:scratch:
Do you think if you booted them twice they would get the message that they need to quit being freeloaders and get to work and be productive??? I say if someone is not doing their fair share then get them out of there and get someone in that can get the job done. People do not fire a good employee. When they finish one job you find another job for the to do that needs to be done.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,018.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Do you think if you booted them twice they would get the message that they need to quit being freeloaders and get to work and be productive??? I say if someone is not doing their fair share then get them out of there and get someone in that can get the job done. People do not fire a good employee. When they finish one job you find another job for the to do that needs to be done.

Mmmmm... Good old fashioned Christian victim blaming. Your fruit is showing. Might want to tuck that back in.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mmmmm... Good old fashioned Christian victim blaming. Your fruit is showing. Might want to tuck that back in.
Are you blaming me of blaming people? I am just saying if the shoe fits wear it. If someone gets fired then there is a good chance they are not being productive and pulling their weight. It just does not make any sense that they would fire good people that were getting the job done. Good workers are not always easy to find.

Upvote 0

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist

Laying off workers has nothing to do with a worker's productivity.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Laying off workers has nothing to do with a worker's productivity.
sometimes it does, sometimes if doesn't

A common example is for there to be say a 5% cut in employees in a division, with choice made by management for who gets cut. Sometime managers are contained to keep those who have been there longest. Sometimes they keep the most productive employees.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,018.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Are you blaming me of blaming people? I am just saying if the shoe fits wear it. If someone gets fired then there is a good chance they are not being productive and pulling their weight. It just does not make any sense that they would fire good people that were getting the job done. Good workers are not always easy to find.
Mass lay offs have nothing to do with worker productivity. It is a cost cutting measure.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It says "one-time", that completely different from increasing your salary.
It's also completely different from no bonus.

Is the glass half full, or half empty? I think you are a "half empty" sort of guy. :D

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
???

One way of cost cutting is to layoff the most unproductive workers.
A mass layoff includes good workers. I worked at a facility that did one and I got to sit through some of those decisions. First positions were identified and some simply eliminated. Then voluntary layoffs. Then the employees with disciplinary issues, then the "low performers. Then the issue got down to which "good people" had to go. One ugly meeting involved a department head having to sit there as his wife's status was reviewed. She was laid off.

The CEO was a bit sadistic and I suspect he enjoyed that part. But, a couple of months later, he got the axe. And the next year, we all got the axe. It was weird literally padlocking the door and handing the keys to a security guard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
???

One way of cost cutting is to layoff the most unproductive workers.

Than it wouldn't be a layoff, it would be firing workers, based on performance.

Most layoffs, have zero to do with productivity and have everything to do with companies scrambling in the short term to make the financials look better, so wall street and or the board of directors is happy.

I have been with Fortune 500 public companies and private companies and have seen many layoffs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upper management decides to lay off workers. Middle management decides who to cut and what basis. Sometimes the decisions are indeed made based on productivity.

Than it wouldn't be a layoff, it would be firing workers, based on performance.

Most layoffs, have zero to do with productivity and have everything to do with companies scrambling in the short term to make the financials look better, so wall street and or the board of directors is happy.

I have been with Fortune 500 public companies and private companies and have seen many layoffs.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mass lay offs
Getting rid of dead wood is not a mass layoff. If you do not trim the dead branches off of the tree then the whole tree will perish. If you trim the tree then it will be healthy grow and prosper. Everyone gets a choice, life, health, prosperity & blessings or death, sickness, poverty and the curse of the law. No one can make your choice for you. Each and every individual makes their own choices for themselves. We want and hope that people will make the right choice but in the ends they are the ones that reap the benefit or suffer the consequences of the choices that they make.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
AT&T to give $1,000 bonuses to more than 200,000 employees because of tax bill passage

AT&T on Wednesday hailed Congress' passage of tax cuts and announced it would invest an additional $1 billion in the United States next year, and pay a one-time $1,000 holiday bonus to more than 200,000 U.S. employees.

In a press release, the company, which is in the midst of a proposed $85 billion merger with Time Warner, said the bonuses would be paid to all "union-represented, non-management and front-line managers."

the press release said.
It's great news for working people! The (D)'s fought against it! Not one single (D) supported helping the middle class, single moms who work etc! In fact, the (D)'s effectively razed taxes, or monthly expenses, massively for middle class families with the dishonest unaffordable ACA!

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,018.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Getting rid of dead wood is not a mass layoff. If you do not trim the dead branches off of the tree then the whole tree will perish. If you trim the tree then it will be healthy grow and prosper. Everyone gets a choice, life, health, prosperity & blessings or death, sickness, poverty and the curse of the law. No one can make your choice for you. Each and every individual makes their own choices for themselves. We want and hope that people will make the right choice but in the ends they are the ones that reap the benefit or suffer the consequences of the choices that they make.

I see. So your contention is that 700 direct TV home installers were sub performers and they all just happened to magically work in the same section?

The announcement came days after the New York Post reported that the company “pink-slipped more than 700 DirecTV home installers.”

And the rest of the layoffs just happen to be poor performers in "Legacy sectors"?

AT&T plans to lay off and fire more than a thousand workers starting early next year, according to local reports.

The telecommunications giant told the Chicago Tribune in a statement that the most of the affected workers are from its landline and other legacy service sectors, but the company did not say how many workers total would still be employed in 2018.

AT&T announces thousands of layoffs, firings just in time for Christmas

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you get the flu or get hit by a car, it’s a choice you made? Hmmm.....

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
700 of them?

OK, I'll be clear. Business owners don't have to justify their decisions to anyone but their shareholders, assuming that no laws are broken.

Each company decides for themselves when and how to cut costs, and on what basis.

Many companies do a really bad job.
====
No one has said the 700 who lost their jobs DESERVED to lose their jobs. I don't even know what that means.

I have merely stated that one of the ways of deciding which jobs are cut is to cut those divisions or individuals that are least productive. Can it be that 700 are less productive than others? Can it be the a whole factory is less productive than other factories? Sure.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
OK, I'll be clear. Business owner don't have to justify their decisions to anyone but their shareholders, assuming that now laws are broken.

Each company decides for themselves when and how to cut costs, and what basis.

Many companies do a really bad job.
====
No one has said the 700 who lost their jobs DESERVED to lose their jobs. I don't even know what that means.

I have merely stated that one of the ways of deciding which jobs are cut is to cut this divisions or individuals that are least productive. Can it be that 700 are less productive than others? Can it be the a whole factory is less productive than other factories? Sure.

But, again, the issue with your claim is that these 700 -- even if they are the "least productive" are still quite productive -- they aren't being let go for not doing the job. Instead, they were doing the job fine and, even if less productive, were still meeting the standards required for the job. The issue is to claim they are being cut because of productivity tends to imply they were doing a substandard job -- and that isn't true.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
But, again, the issue with your claim is that these 700 -- even if they are the "least productive" are still quite productive -- they aren't being let go for not doing the job. Instead, they were doing the job fine and, even if less productive, were still meeting the standards required for the job. The issue is to claim they are being cut because of productivity tends to imply they were doing a substandard job -- and that isn't true.

Substandard?

A company has a profit margin that supports 20,000 workers. There 20,700.
700 are played off. The open question is what method should be used to bring down labor costs. There are many, many options.
1) Everyone could take a pay cut or reduce hours.
2) The union or union rules can determine who goes.
3) Management can look at its units or at its employees and let god the least productive.
4) Management can make arbitrary decisions about who goes.

Usually the choices are a combination. My point is that there is nothing inherently wrong with #3. The least productive workers is not "substandard" except in the sense that a new standard has been made.

The reality is that labor is more productive than they used to be. More is produced with fewer labor hours. Perhaps this is due to new equipment, perhaps to improved processes, perhaps to the effect of computers. But the bottom line is that a unit that once needed 1000 workers now needs fewer.

Upvote 0