✟827,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
When you use one finger to point...

Trump's appalling attack on doctors came on a day when the US marked a new global record for daily coronavirus cases and 17 states were seeing record hospitalizations. Instead of addressing those challenges, the President tried to explain the mounting US case count by making the false claim in Michigan that US doctors are inflating coronavirus case numbersbecause they "get more money if someone dies from Covid."

"Our doctors are very smart people. So what they do is they say, 'I'm sorry but everybody dies of Covid,' " Trump said at a rally in Waterford Township, Michigan, on Friday.

"Now they'll say 'Oh that's terrible what he said,' but that's true. It's like $2,000 more, so you get more money."

Trump's claims about profiteering doctors sparked a backlash beyond the campaign trail. Susan Bailey, the president of the American Medical Association, said in a statement that the claim that doctors are overcounting Covid-19 patients or "lying to line their pockets is a malicious, outrageous, and completely misguided charge."

"Covid-19 cases are at record highs today," Bailey said as Friday marked the highest single day of cases in the United States since the pandemic began. "Rather than attacking us and lobbing baseless charges at physicians, our leaders should be following the science and urging adherence to the public health steps we know work -- wearing a mask, washing hands and practicing physical distancing."

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker

As it would so happen, one of my favorite Tubers, Potholer, released a video today addressing some of the common myths about COVID19. Highly recommend it.

Usually, I'm willing to think Trump doesn't lie so much as he just doesn't care what the truth is - he repeats things he hears and doesn't bother to check their veracity, or he says things he thinks are true without giving it much thought - the whole 'airport in the Revolutionary War' thing would be a good example.

But it's hard for me to think of his comments as anything but deceptive, especially since he's one of the reasons they get that money - it's to offset hospital costs by COVID-19, and it's from legislation that he signed.

The idea that hospitals around the country are committing straight up fraud to make extra money off COVID-19 is nuts.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Our doctors are very smart people
It's like $2,000 more, so you get more money.

It's kind of a tell that when Trump talks about 'smart' it's usually about money. Usually things that are borderline ethically. He doesn't pay taxes because he's smart. He doesn't pay back his debts because he's smart.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Our doctors are very smart people
It's like $2,000 more, so you get more money.

It's kind of a tell that when Trump talks about 'smart' it's usually about money. Usually things that are borderline ethically. He doesn't pay taxes because he's smart. He doesn't pay back his debts because he's smart.
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does say a lot about him. I think he assumes that because he is the sort of person that would take advantage of this situation to make extra money, doctors are that way, too. That they wouldn't do so because of their ethical responsibilities doesn't occur to him.

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟99,832.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Those thieving doctors deserve to be exposed! How dare they plead with people to wear masks and stay out of bars so that their hospital doesn't become overwhelmed and people die needlessly! They are only thinking of themselves and the money they stand to make! -sarcasm

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
He needs to have a lie detector attached to him when he speaks for the 40% who need further evidence that he lies.
Four more days.

A lie detector would not work on him because he really believes the lies. To him it is the truth.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does say a lot about him. I think he assumes that because he is the sort of person that would take advantage of this situation to make extra money, doctors are that way, too. That they wouldn't do so because of their ethical responsibilities doesn't occur to him.
That seems to be a thing with trump.

He assumes EVERYONE is as corrupt, criminal, incompetent as he is, because corruption, criminality and incompetence is all that HE can understand.

Hence, his habit of constantly accusing others of what he himself is most guilty of.

trump: "heck, if I were a doctor or a nurse, I'd be trying to make as much money off of the people dying all around me. Therefore, that must be what the doctors and nurses treating COVID-19 patients are doing (to make me look bad)."

He cant feel empathy or sympathy or transcendent emotion, or answer to a higher calling, and can't understand why someone would do something out of a generosity of spirit or benevolence or love or caring.

It's sort of similar to his question to ex Chief of Staff John Kelly on the occasion of a Memorial Day visit to Arlington National Cemetery in honor of Kelly's son who was killed while on patrol in Afghanistan "I don't get it. What's in it for them?"

'I don't get it': Trump said to have questioned why retired Gen. John Kelly's son fought in Afghanistan — during a Memorial Day visit to his grave

• Haha
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That’s low, even for Trump.
Nah. I don't think we've seen anything yet.

If he loses the election, I'd almost expect a scorched earth response, similar to what some wife abusers do when they get the divorce papers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Nah. I don't think we've seen anything yet.

If he loses the election, I'd almost expect a scorched earth response, similar to what some wife abusers do when they get the divorce papers.

Like invading North Korea, Iran, and China during his last days in office and letting Biden deal with the mess?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lie detector would not work on him because he really believes the lies. To him it is the truth.
That’s why they are not considered reliable in court.

Upvote 0