USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I have no problem with my children being exposed to different points of view. I can then discuss this with them myself. Seems preferable to insulating them and perpetuating the increasingly siloed world we live in.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People like to paint teachers are great martyrs doing God's work.

Teachers don't. They get lousy pay, and difficult working conditions, but the payoff is seeing struggling students work and gain success. There's nothing better than that.

The teachers I know do it for the pay cheque and extravagant retirement benefits.

The average starting teacher in America makes about $38,000 a year. The average first year salary for a person with a bachelor's degree is about $50,000. If you factor in they get about 2 months off per year (mandatory training happens in the summer) they get about $3,800 per month, compared to about $4166 per month for the average person starting out with a bachelor's degree. So not all that lucrative.

Retirement varies a lot by state, but in general, after 20 years service, at age 67, it's sort of comparable to social security, if they worked other jobs and put in at least 30 years total. Or did until the republicans took away huge chunks of their social security, even if they would have otherwise earned it.

They teach three classes a day,

Six or seven, in most places. Since the state wants to save money, the solution was to overload classes. Sometimes 30 or more kids in a class. If parents knew what that does to a kid's learning, they'd be marching on the state capital with torches and pitchforks.

have a prep class

Sometimes. Not always possible, if duty calls.

and the summer off.

Often between 2 and three months. But they don't get paid for that. And a part of that, there will be mandatory training in the summer.

Sounds mint to me.

Most places are short of teachers. Go for it.

Full disclosure: I was an ergonomist for many years. I always wanted to be a teacher, but I could never afford it, with five kids. When they graduated from college, I then became a teacher.

Way tougher than I thought. But when some girl who showed very little interest for most of the semester suddenly exclaims; "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], I got it! I got it!", that makes up for everything. If you've never had that, you don't know what job satisfaction is.

Every now and then, I meet an old student. Often, they have achieved great things in their lives. And each time that happens, I'm up for days.

It's why you have teachers. Trust me, the money and the working conditions are awful. The rewards, if you're good, are better than anything else in the world.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

It's always been this close, and the people are giving permission for the psychopaths to exploit them through apathy and ignorance.

Undermining education is one of the ways one goes toward the dreaded "communism" always spoken of. At the very least, it is a result of destabilization of the nation by foreign entities. The latter has actually been going on for decades.

We are only seeing the affects, but the job has already been done. Look at how often people refer to LEFT-RIGHT paradigms, and the "sudden" realization of "incivility" that has been going on for centuries against others in the continent. If the nation is just now becoming aware, it has already been had.

Dan will judge the nations; the irony is that Dan doesn't realize who he is, and how he will judge.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Teachers don't. They get lousy pay, and difficult working conditions, but the payoff is seeing struggling students work and gain success. There's nothing better than that.

In the US maybe - in Canada, try again.

feat_.jpg

They are extremely well paid. The base average in Ontario is 73 k a year plus summers off, spare class for "prep," etc.

Source

I'm sitting beside a lady who does supply teaching and she is paid $240 a day for one class and full time teachers teach less than 4 hours a day.

In Ontario we have an abundance of teachers.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the US maybe - in Canada, try again.

They are extremely well paid. The base average in Ontario is 73 k a year plus summers off, spare class for "prep," etc.

I'm sitting beside a lady who does supply teaching and she is paid $240 a day for one class and full time teachers teach less than 4 hours a day.

I was one of those Ontario teachers, now retired. It took me seven years beyond high school to gain my qualifications. That does not count the time spent taking courses in the evening or summer to improve as a teacher. Then there are the long hours spent preparing classes and marking papers. It took 5 years to become a good teacher and another 5 to become a great teacher and then 30 more to become burned out and have the nervous breakdown that I had worked so hard for. I earned every penny!

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I was one of those Ontario teachers, now retired. It took me seven years beyond high school to gain my qualifications. That does not count the time spent taking courses in the evening or summer to improve as a teacher. Then there are the long hours spent preparing classes and marking papers. It took 5 years to become a good teacher and another 5 to become a great teacher and then 30 more to become burned out and have the nervous breakdown that I had worked so hard for. I earned every penny!

I'm sorry to hear that you took the long way which is why you are probably too close to be objective.

My neighbor was teaching for a Christian school and wrote the qualifying exams. He said it was easy. He left the Christian school system for the money.

The Teachers Union in Ontario have pretty much bought the Liberal Party with donations, so there is that, it's back and forth. The Liberals receive donations and then return it.

Wynne pours cash on Ontario teachers

Ontario Liberals paid English Catholic teachers’ union $31-million as part of settlement for wage increase delays

Liberals have given Ontario teachers' unions $80.5M for bargaining since 2000: AG

Reevely: Government payoffs to teachers' unions make no sense

Ontario Liberals take aim at NDP as third party endorsed by teachers' union

That was just a few links.

Have a nice day.

jm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:

feat_.jpg

Instead of wailing about it, why not become a teacher, if you think they have it so good? And yes, I'm envious. We don't do that well in the United States. The more conservative a nation is, the less interest there is in education.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And it's true that the failure rate for teachers is very high, because it is difficult to succeed. There are a few awesome people who just naturally fit into the job. I didn't. It took a lot of work and experience to become good at the job.

Most people aren't able to meet the demands of the position.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chappelle-Nadal later explained that she didn't actually wish harm to come to Trump but wrote it out of frustration. It was foolish for her to say but I can fully understand her frustration.

On the other hand, Trump announced that if Hillary Clinton was elected, the "2nd Amendment People" would be the only way to stop her.

That got him a visit and a talking-to from the Secret Service.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Teachers Union in Ontario have pretty much bought the Liberal Party with donations, so there is that, it's back and forth. The Liberals receive donations and then return it.

For much of my years of teaching we were faced with a conservative government that was intent on eviscerating education. We found natural allies in both the Liberals and The NDP. Now with the conservatives in power with a "mini-Trump" as premier it is likely to happen all over again.

In 1992 Bob Rae became premier with a promise to the teachers to give them the power to administer their own pension plan. At that time the pension plan was disasterously underfunded due largely to governments borrowing from it at well below prevailing rates of interest. Rae followed through with his promise. Part of the agreement was the government agreed to pay about $10 million/year to bring the plan back to proper funding levels. It was estimated that this would take decades. With the plan under competent management it took only a few years for the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan to tell government that they no longer needed the yearly supplement. OTPP is now a major player in the stock market and the government is now off the financial hook.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't need a safe space when I went to school. Or coloring books and crayons beyond elementary years. I don't know what they're doing. But something's off.
I would say it is the increasing amount of immaturity of the adults in our culture . No demonstrable concern by parents for the eternal well being of their children . ( I took them to church ) ..no guardians of their souls ..no boundaries because the parents do not exercise any boundaries their selves ...career and my happiness is too important ...multiple marriages and divorces and the children have selfishness demonstrated ....and the children ? Oh the children may go to you know where for all we care ....as long as I am happy . That is tragically the case and it is not the teachers job to raise their children in the fear and admonition of the Lord .
We are trying to fix a broken society with a broken society .

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
On the other hand, Trump announced that if Hillary Clinton was elected, the "2nd Amendment People" would be the only way to stop her.

That got him a visit and a talking-to from the Secret Service.

A statement like that is a carte blanche to the nut cases and completely foolish of a man running for president.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you suggesting we disband publicly funded education? That way only the wealthy will be able to educate their children and we can perpetuate our very own class system in America.

I think I will continue to support public education.

No I think the person is saying there is a difference between education and indoctrination and what kids get in K-12 today is a mix of both with a huge heaping pile of indoctrination. It is one reason children do not know simple concepts taught in public schools even 20 or 30 years ago. They are not taught. Most of today's public schools no longer teach morals they teach self worth, they no longer teach the value of truthfulness or humility or empathy, instead they teach ego centric values and situational ethics. I am a product of public schools myself in a different era, I would do whatever it took, and did, to send my child to a private christian centric school.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would say it is the increasing amount of immaturity of the adults in our culture . No demonstrable concern by parents for the eternal well being of their children . ( I took them to church ) ..no guardians of their souls ..no boundaries because the parents do not exercise any boundaries their selves ...career and my happiness is too important ...multiple marriages and divorces and the children have selfishness demonstrated ....and the children ? Oh the children may go to you know where for all we care ....as long as I am happy . That is tragically the case and it is not the teachers job to raise their children in the fear and admonition of the Lord .
We are trying to fix a broken society with a broken society .

I'm in agreement with you and I'm not giving them a pass. There's a thread on that subject and I responded. I've encountered my share of hands-off parenting and saw the outcome of their laissez-faire attitude. I have never felt teachers were responsible for child-rearing. They should be given a well-adjusted child who's prepared to learn. Many parents are uninvolved or busy living for themselves instead. It's sad.

Upvote 0