• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Trump insults France but, once again gets what he wanted

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Mountainmanbob, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+10,723
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Trump, Macron agree on European defense after Trump's 'very insulting' comment

+++++++++++++++++

CNN
    "President Macron of France has just suggested that Europe build its own military in order to protect itself from the U.S., China and Russia," Trump wrote. The message appeared before he'd even gotten off his plane. "Very insulting, but perhaps Europe should first pay its fair share of NATO, which the U.S. subsidizes greatly!"

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Duke fan

Duke fan Member

+123
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I agree that the European Union NATO members should pay their fair share of NATO dues. The United States cannot patrol the whole world while we have our own citizens to take care of. We should help the truly needy but not those who can help themselves.

3. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Well-Known Member

+2,965
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Single
    I think Trump was insultED by the French proposal for a EU army actually..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. section9+1

section9+1 Well-Known Member

+1,137
    Christian
    Married
    These days, telling the truth will almost always insult somebody.

5. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,861
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I don't see how an EU army would be possible without a major rearmament of Germany, and the Germans still don't want to be a major military power.

Macron did include Russia as the one of the countries for Europe to defend itself against - but history shows that taking on America and Russia at the same time doesn't work out well...

6. 2Timothy2:15

2Timothy2:15 Well-Known Member

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    Yeah well my grandfather and his brother that stormed the beach on D-Day would have a different opinion. God Bless America and real American's that stand up to fight evil and save cowards.

7. Mountainmanbob

+10,723
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    The goats went back out to reread their American history books.

M-Bob

8. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,825
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Your astounding ignorance of history and lack of respect for human sacrifice is noted.

Don't come whinging next time an NFL player kneels, alright? I know that's part of the script for you and yours, but let's not be hypocritical about it :)

9. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+16,227
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    I suspect that the Russians eventually would have beaten Germany even without American help. And in WW1 the allies would have finished Germany even without American help. It might have taken a bit longer --- into 1919 probably.

10. Mountainmanbob

+10,723
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    First person that I have ever heard say that the war could have been won without us? Churchill sure did not think so and was very disappointed when we did not jump in sooner.
    M-Bob

11. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Well-Known Member

+2,965
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Single
    Well, who knows the real truth regarding WWII is welcome to tell everyone...

12. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,612
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Churchill was WWII. 1940-1945

13. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    What is ignorant to what I said? That my grandfather and his brother stormed the beach on D Day and lived and fought through France to help free France from an invader they were unwilling to oppose? What exactly is ignorant of that or do you just hate real men.

14. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    Hmmm this is a twist on history. I am sure if Hitler was not fighting on multiple fronts to protect Europe and was able to focus solely on Russia they would have never made it to Berlin. Not to mention that Hitler probably would have taken Russia if not for his mistake to turn south instead of going right for Moscow. Talk about slapping a generation of Americans in the face that fought brutally and died to free Europe.

15. JackRT

+16,227
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    I am an amateur military historian speaking from the benefit of many decades hindsight. I do not denigrate the huge contribution of the USA nor do I scorn the courage of the French. If the USA had not entered, England and the Commonwealth would have contained Hitler to Europe but could not have sustained an invasion of the continent without USA help. Without the USA, Russia would have eventually prevailed. The USA did handle Japan almost single handed. However England, India, China, Australia and New Zealand also contributed greatly.

In WW1 the USA made a major contribution at the very end --- almost as much as Canada.

16. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    I suppose we have different takes on military history. I am of the opinion that England was barely managing to hold off invasion prior to US involvement. I am also of the opinion that if Hitler only had to contend with England whom was loosing resources quickly and under regular bombing his full focus would have been on the Russian front and more troops would have been committed to the invasion. Most of Europe would be speaking German today if not for the US. It is a historical fact the most of the French brass was in the pocket of Hitler prior to Germans ever stepping foot in France...hence the easy take over. The other half was afraid and did nothing...that amounts to cowardice how ever you slice it.

17. JackRT

+16,227
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    I disagree about France. The problem with the high command was that they were trying to fight the last war. Germany adopted the blitzkrieg tactics that Canada pioneered at the end of WW1 but the French were unable to adapt. Their tanks were actually better than the Germans but innovative generals like DeGaul were not listened to.

18. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    One could say the tactic of Blizkrieg was invented by the Mongols as well. Canadians crack me up. While Canada played a key role in D DAY and in much of European theatre I would not go so far to say that was invented by Canadians :)

19. JackRT

+16,227
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    Good point!

Pleased to lighten your day.

I did not mean to imply that the Canadian Corps invented blitzkrieg tactics but they certainly used them to break the stalemate in 1918, much to the astonishment of the Germans. After Amiens they called the Canadians "shock troops" and our kilted highland regiments became the "ladies from hell".

20. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,825
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Please educate yourself to history beyond simply the American perspective.

WW2 changed modern warfare forever. No country was prepared for Nazi Germany's capabilities at the start of the war.

The French were hopeless. There's no escaping that. It wasn't as simple as one power against another. If the U.S. invaded Iceland it would be the same result. They'd be hopeless.