Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Except the impeachment occurred while he was still in office. I don't think it is as clear if the conviction can occur after he leaves office; I suspect that will be something for the courts to interpret.
I agree that it will be challenged in court but its not totally without precedent when it comes to federal officials. William Belknap was tried in the Senate after he had resigned as Secretary of War. Like this case the proceedings started prior to him leaving his office so I think its relevant.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except the impeachment occurred while he was still in office. I don't think it is as clear if the conviction can occur after he leaves office; I suspect that will be something for the courts to interpret.

My question, what happens to any pardons issued by Pres. Trump between now and when he leaves office? I think a decent argument can be made, if Pres. Trump is convicted by the Senate, that any pardons he made after the impeachment are voided, if he is convicted.

The president is the president until such time as he leaves office.
Joe gets sworn in the morning on the 20th. Prolly around 10AM...Senate would be occupied until 1:00 PM. Way too late to do anything.

The impeachment won't happen...the vote to impeach has...but it was a real waste of time.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that it will be challenged in court but its not totally without precedent when it comes to federal officials. William Belknap was tried in the Senate after he had resigned as Secretary of War. Like this case the proceedings started prior to him leaving his office so I think its relevant.

Okay...but the impeachment is the trial...it's a synonym for one conducted by the Senate.

The vote to impeach has occurred and passed but the impeachment has not and will not happen...

Read Alan Dershowitz on this.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Okay...but the impeachment is the trial...it's a synonym for one conducted by the Senate.

In the case I mentioned the trial in the senate took place after he had resigned his position just as the trial of Trump has been scheduled after his term has ended. I do not pretend to be a legal expert but it makes sense to me that a president or other official should not be able to use the end of their term to short circuit proceedings that started while they were still in office.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the case I mentioned the trial in the senate took place after he had resigned his position just as the trial of Trump has been scheduled after his term has ended. I do not pretend to be a legal expert but it makes sense to me that a president or other official should not be able to use the end of their term to short circuit proceedings that started while they were still in office.
Democrats Cannot Impeach Trump, and You Can’t Impeach Him After Leaving Office: Dershowitz

Read this...Alan can explain the legalities.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I have read/listened to other legal folks who say otherwise. Do they cancel out or does Mr Dershowitz win because reasons?
Mr. Dershowitz is the reigning scholar on such issues.

Unless the government throws out the entire constitution and themselves in favor of a politburo of some form and a supreme chancellor...
Alan has the gravitas of experience and knowledge.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Mr. Dershowitz is the reigning scholar on such issues.

Unless the government throws out the entire constitution and themselves in favor of a politburo of some form and a supreme chancellor...
Alan has the gravitas of experience and knowledge.
Dershowitz is wrong. It's too late, anyway. Trump was impeached this afternoon by a vote of 232 to 197.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dershowitz is wrong. Trump was impeached this afternoon by a vote of 232 to 197.
Impeachment is a synonym for a trial by congress.
There has to be several votes...house, Senate and then guilt or innocence.

The Dems pulled out one vote instead of doing anything productive. No trial has happened...no impeachment.

Next!

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

The vote to impeach has occurred and passed but the impeachment has not and will not happen...

Read Alan Dershowitz on this.
According to the text of the Constitution the House has the sole power of impeachment and conviction is handled in the Senate. By a strict textual reading the president has been impeached whether he’s convicted or acquitted in the Senate, the vote to impeach is the impeachment itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dershowitz is wrong. It's too late, anyway. Trump was impeached this afternoon by a vote of 232 to 197.

I don't think he's been impeached yet. There still has to be a trial in the Senate where he will either be convicted and removed from office or acquitted and not removed from office. Please don't quote me on this though because I could be wrong. I'm not really sure about the whole process myself.

Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the text of the Constitution the House has the sole power of impeachment and conviction is handled in the Senate. By a strict textual reading the president has been impeached whether he’s convicted or acquitted in the Senate, the vote to impeach is the impeachment itself.
Keep dreaming...

• Optimistic
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think he's been impeached yet. There still has to be a trial in the Senate where he will either be convicted and removed from office or acquitted and not removed from office. Please don't quote me on this though because I could be wrong. I'm not really sure about the whole process myself.

I stand corrected. Thank you for this information, GoldenBoy89.

• Friendly
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Impeachment is a synonym for a trial by congress.
There has to be several votes...house, Senate and then guilt or innocence.

The Dems pulled out one vote instead of doing anything productive. No trial has happened...no impeachment.

Next!
Impeachment is the correct technical term for a process which occurs within the House of Representatives. It is not a synonym for the entire process which includes a trial in the Senate. You claim to be concerned for the Constitution, but it appears that you have never actually read it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And how hard are yawl gonna cry when it's not happening?

Foam at the mouth all you want...

Too late to do anything other than disgraceful rhetoric and symbolic actions.
Lol. It’s already happened.

What were you expecting to happen? It’s a simple vote on the article. Once passed, he’s impeached. The trial in the Senate is a separate matter. This is one of the least ambiguous parts of the Constitution.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol. It’s already happened.

What were you expecting to happen? It’s a simple vote on the article. Once passed, he’s impeached. The trial in the Senate is a separate matter. This is one of the least ambiguous parts of the Constitution.
I'm trying to keep you from looking dumb...but if you don't want the improved appearance... keep on.

Upvote 0