United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump hires campaign workers instead of farm experts at USDA

President Donald Trump’s appointees to jobs at Agriculture Department headquarters include a long-haul truck driver, a country club cabana attendant and the owner of a scented-candle company.

A POLITICO review of dozens of résumés from political appointees to USDA shows the agency has been stocked with Trump campaign staff and volunteers who in many cases demonstrated little to no experience with federal policy, let alone deep roots in agriculture. But of the 42 résumés POLITICO reviewed, 22 cited Trump campaign experience. And based on their résumés, some of those appointees appear to lack credentials, such as a college degree, required to qualify for higher government salaries......

The truck driver, Nick Brusky, was hired this year at USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service — an agency tasked with developing overseas markets for U.S. agricultural trade goods — at one of the highest levels on the federal government’s pay scale, a GS-12, earning $79,720 annually. Though that pay grade requires a master’s degree or equivalent experience, it’s not clear from Brusky’s résumé whether he’s a college graduate. The document lists coursework in business management and political science at three universities from 2000 to 2013, but does not specify a graduation date.

Brusky served as a field representative for Trump’s campaign in the battleground state of Ohio, beginning in November 2016, while driving for a trucking company in Hilliard, where he also was a county commissioner. Brusky’s résumé shows he has no experience in cultivating international markets for trade goods, though he notes he has experience “hauling and shipping agricultural commodities.” It says he was twice elected to local office and was a legislative aide to an Ohio state representative from January 2009 until June 2012.
It is one thing to reward good campaign workers ....and giving them very well paying jobs where they are not qualified at all for it.

Remember Michael Brown, the FEMA director who bungled the response to Hurricane Katrina?
Michael D. Brown - Wikipedia

On August 29, 2005, five hours after the hurricane hit land, Brown made his first request for Homeland Security rescue workers to be deployed to the disaster area only after two days of training.[46] He also told fire and rescue departments outside affected areas to refrain from providing trucks or emergency workers without a direct appeal from state or local governments in order to avoid coordination problems and the accusation of overstepping federal authority.

On September 1, 2005, Brown told Soledad O'Brien of CNN that he was unaware that New Orleans' officials had housed thousands of evacuees, who quickly ran out of food and water, in the Convention Center — even though major news outlets had been reporting on the evacuees' plight for at least a day. He also criticized those that were stuck in New Orleans as those "who chose not to evacuate, who chose not to leave the city" (disobeying a mandatory evacuation order).

On September 2, 2005, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley stated that he pledged firefighters, police officers, health department workers, and other resources on behalf of the city, but was only asked to send one tank truck.[47]

Gail Collins, at the time editor of The New York Times' editorial page, called Michael Brown "legendary as a disaster in his own right",[48] and on Thanksgiving week in 2005, Brown was No. 1 on CNN's "Political Turkey of the Year" list for his handling of Katrina.

On August 28, 2007, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards proposed what he called "Brownie's Law" requiring that "qualified people, not political hacks", lead key federal agencies.[49]

So we have lack of expertise and knowledge in the USDA - who overlooks the food we eat - like we had inexperience and ignorance in FEMA during Katrina. great. :doh:

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't appear that the admin. is running our government as a well run business would be run.
I thought that one of the main reasons that Trump was elected was because of his ability and knowledge of a well run business.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't appear that the admin. is running our government as a well run business would be run.
I thought that one of the main reasons that Trump was elected was because of his ability and knowledge of a well run business.

It's being run the way a small, family-owned operation would be run - you hire your buddies, get rid of people you don't like, and do whatever you want while minimizing oversight and ignoring industry best-practices.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That depends if his intention is to run down government, ensure those regulations that have no been cut, are not enforced. Then this is one way to go about it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's being run the way a small, family-owned operation would be run - you hire your buddies, get rid of people you don't like, and do whatever you want while minimizing oversight and ignoring industry best-practices.

Which is all Donald's ever had -- small, family-owned operations.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,426,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
President Donald Trump’s appointees to jobs at Agriculture Department headquarters include a long-haul truck driver, a country club cabana attendant and the owner of a scented-candle company.

I grew up surrounded by dairy farms...maybe I should apply.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up surrounded by dairy farms...maybe I should apply.
You are over qualified to work in Trumps USDA. Unless you're into shoveling bull chips.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Stuff I just don't know anymore:
1) What "the swamp" is?
2) Who is getting "Drained" (not individuals but the logic for who gets the boot)?
3) What's the point in draining the swamp?
4) Depending on the point of draining the swamp, why put in good friends and not apoliticos who are knowledgable and competent?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
He’s obviously setting an example for the rest of the American economy to follow. Hey hospitals why employ a brain surgeon when Bob a failed media studies graduate is just as qualified(in the trumpian worldview). When you board a passenger plane the role of pilot can be auctioned of to the highest bidder!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I liked the one about the cabana boy:

"Another example: Christopher O’Hagan, an appointee as a confidential assistant at the Agricultural Marketing Service, which helps producers of food, fiber and specialty crop growers market their goods. O'Hagan graduated in 2016 from the University of Scranton with a major in history and a minor in economics. But his résumé lists only one example of work experience prior to joining the Trump campaign in January 2016 — employment as a cabana attendant at the Westchester Country Club in Rye, New York, while in school."

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which is all Donald's ever had -- small, family-owned operations.

Small? Over 300 corporations with a combined worth North of 7 billion dollars.

I wish I had that kind of small family owned operations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for the article. Talk about a dog whistle!

Who in their right mind reviews 42 Resumes for positions with one group? How do you even get ahold of them?

The man was not just a truck driver, but held a number of political positions

Maybe not as great as a community organizer, but then again he was running for senate.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Who in their right mind reviews 42 Resumes for positions with one group? How do you even get ahold of them?

Ummm any employer worth their salt would review resumes. And in this case any credible report would do their homework. As for getting a hold of them, I'm sure Poltico has its sources.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Small? Over 300 corporations with a combined worth North of 7 billion dollars.

I wish I had that kind of small family owned operations.

I didn't say he has few of them -- only that they were small and family owned.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Any decently competent employer.

Upvote 0