Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This whole exchange between you and me came from my response to such a conservative poster who posted a myth, made from whole cloth, that the blue states tax their people too much due to ineffective leadership at the state level because they are Democrats or liberals rather than acknowledging the FACT that red states TAKE money from the blue states in order to lower or eliminate state-level taxes.

I’ve seen you restate this before...maybe a slightly different tack?

As I understand it:
Blue states tend to require the people of their state pay for the goods and services that the state needs to offer its citizens, (and whatever flavor of immigrants you care to mention), a full-service government that provides for the “general welfare”.
Red States want generally lower taxes, because, (in part), they do not wish to overburden their constituents that are poor; these states generally get by on a lower level of governance and things like road maintenance are given to local governments to handle, based on State Guidelines, (to ensure the same level of quality, municipality to municipality).
Any shortfall in State revenues will generally “be picked up” by Uncle Sam.

If we really want to “get into the weeds”, we could find out how much of each state’s budget is provided by the Federal Government?

But I’m lazy and will opt for my interpretation of things “as they stand”!

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My state talks a lot about having the quality of life that will attract young people and businesses.

And then: If they could allow assault weapons in cloistered convents they'd be all for it;

Voters approve a medical marijuana bill and 2.5 years later they are opening the first of a small number of dispensaries.

A minimum wage increase was passed and the legislature tried it's best to exempt 99% of businesses from having to comply.

The Ku Klux Klan is alive and well.

Parts of the state are "dry." Gambling is making a tiny inroad.

The state is very pro-pre-life...you know what I mean.

Young people graduate and often leave...except for Hispanic youth, who are often mourning a deported father and suffering from the PTSD of seeing him picked up and beaten by police...

Yeah, they don't have the formula to attract business and young people down very well.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ate you trying to say that all these great things you mentioned are in the blue states just cause they are blue?

It's not just because they are blue, but there is something of a feedback loop that causes there to be, over time, a progressively higher correlation between political affiliation and regional productivity.

By continually catering to all the cranks, the Republicans are scaring off the smart, reasonable people. Over time, this results in political divides that coincide with educational attainment, economic output, and geography.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If we really want to “get into the weeds”, we could find out how much of each state’s budget is provided by the Federal Government?
Someone has already compiled that information ->here

Upvote 0