Trump erroneously says 1918 Spanish Flu 'probably ended' WWII, which happened two decades later

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm okay with a higher standard but not over this sort of trivial slip of the tongue. We all knew what he meant.
I don't know that at all. A normal person, yes, we'd guess that this is a slip-up. But this person is confused, anxious, and poorly informed in the first place.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's a matter of open debate. People can discuss and debate the end of the war and reach different conclusions. I happen to think there were many reasons for the armistice but I have no problem with other people disagreeing and even limiting ending factors to one or two things or events. We ought to be able to have a robust discussion and draw our own conclusions.
Then we have to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Correct. World War I ended because of the influx of American troops and because of US victories in the field. Troops on both sides were hit by the flu so it had an effect but it didn't end the war.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Correct. World War I ended because of the influx of American troops and because of US victories in the field. Troops on both sides were hit by the flu so it had an effect but it didn't end the war.
The flu may have hit both sides but because the US was new to the war (our troops didn't fight in earnest until 1918) the flu disproportionately hurt Germany, which was struggling with morale at home and in the military as it is. An argument can be made that the flu pushed them over the edge. The fact that Trump has said this is not a reason to discount the theory.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Excuse me? You're the one who brought up bones in these women's closets.
If Trump was a viable candidate with all his closet bones than surely they are. None of them come anywhere close to Trump's messy closet.

There's always things like Hillary's insider trading of cattle futures and Bill's Jennifer Flowers running around in people's pasts. No one lives perfect lives.

Reagan, both Bush, and Clinton all had standard practices and track records of behavior...those things are perfectly acceptable to debate and discuss for whether they are going to be good for our nation.
We knew that Reagan was going to outspend any increase in tax revenue by his record as governor of California.
We knew Bill was going to steal other people's popular agendas and act like they were his own.

We knew that Obama was difficult to work with and a coalition with him at the helm was just about impossible when he was in Chicago.

These things are fair game to talk about and examine. Gaffs, past mistakes, and misdeeds are "gotcha politics" and mudslinging...and why I really am not a partisan of either side of the aisle.

Both sides have great merit in ideas...both sides have lousy ones too.

I Can't really join in with either side.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The fact that Trump has said this is not a reason to discount the theory.

No. The reason to discount the theory is that there is no facts to support it.

Like most of Trumps statements that his apologists have to work overtime to make plausible.

D for effort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,117.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why are we holding politicians to a higher standard and not allowing them to correct themselves without a media frenzy?
Because the cable media needs to justify it's existence since it reports opinion rather then who what when where and why. They are not the news. They are fear and gossip mongers that people have come to accept as informative, probably because these pundits speak to the majority at their own level. Such is the decline of empires.

The real outcome of this election will be which side can be the most petty and who lost more supporters as a result.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No. The reason to discount the theory is that there is no facts to support it.

Like most of Trumps statements that his apologists have to work overtime to make plausible.

D for effort.
Are you kidding me? The Spanish flu has long been acknowledged as one of the reasons the war ended. What Trump said isn't new at all.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump: 1918 Spanish Flu 'probably ended' WWII, which happened two decades apart
So...the President Said this today:

tulc(heard the 1917 pandemic may have closed all the airports during the American Revolution as well)

So you wish to make a mount everest over a grain of sand! have at it!

Just remember, Obama campaigned in all 57 states! He said so! Politicians like every other person on the planet are guilty of misspeaking from time to time. Only the petty like to stir up a tempest in a teapot over it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you kidding me? The Spanish flu has long been acknowledged as one of the reasons the war ended. What Trump said isn't new at all.

The Spanish flu did not yet have a serious effect on the war effort by either side. It really hit hard when the troops were repatriated home. My father was seriously wounded in the last few days of WW1. He talked extensively with me about his experiences and I cannot remember him ever speaking of the Spanish flu. The war ended because the German army was defeated in the field and in full retreat.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The Spanish flu did not yet have a serious effect on the war effort by wither side. It really hit hard when the troops were repatriated home. My father was seriously wounded in the last few days of WW1. He talked extensively with me about his experiences and I cannot remember him ever speaking of the Spanish flu. The war ended because the German army was defeated in the field and in full retreat.
Your father's experience is not necessarily the experience in Germany, either their army or the homefront.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The flu may have hit both sides but because the US was new to the war (our troops didn't fight in earnest until 1918) the flu disproportionately hurt Germany, which was struggling with morale at home and in the military as it is. An argument can be made that the flu pushed them over the edge. The fact that Trump has said this is not a reason to discount the theory.

But the flu also hit the French and British who were just as exhausted as the Germans. Any evidence that you might have showing that the Germans were "disproportionately hurt" might help your claim, but from what I've read on the war that isn't the case.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

There is a pretty significant difference saying War ended because of the Spanish flu or saying it was one of the reasons.

Bit like saying US won the war of independence because of French support compared to a statement that the French support was one of the reasons why US won.

See the difference ?

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your father's experience is not necessarily the experience in Germany, either their army or the homefront.

You are free to link a credible source that advocates your case of Spanish Flu being a significant contributor to Germany’s surrender.

Upvote 0