Trump easily wins CPAC 2024 GOP presidential nomination straw poll

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump easily wins CPAC 2024 GOP presidential nomination straw poll

DALLAS – Former President Donald Trump easily won the 2024 GOP presidential nomination poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) gathering this weekend in Texas.

Trump, who’s repeatedly flirted with making another presidential run in 2024 to try and return to the White House, captured 70% of ballots cast in the anonymous straw poll, according to results announced by CPAC on Sunday afternoon.

That's a boost from the 55% support he won in the hypothetical 2024 Republican primary matchup straw poll at CPAC Orlando in late February.

"I want to personally thank each and every one of you for your incredible support," Trump said as he gave the Dallas event's keynote address minutes later.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis came in a distant second, at 21%. No one else among the 19 potential 2024 Republican White House contenders topped 1%.

DeSantis, a first-term governor and Trump ally who soared in popularity among conservatives nationwide for his resistance to lockdowns and COVID restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic, easily topped a second 2024 ballot question – without Trump on the hypothetical ballot.

DeSantis grabbed 68% support on that question, with former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo at 5%. Donald Trump Jr. and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas were both at 4%, with South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem at 3%. No one else topped 2%.

The straw poll results, along with the former president’s headliner speech on Sunday, were the most anticipated moments at the three-day gathering of conservative activists and leaders from across the country.

Trump’s strong performance comes as no surprise. CPAC, long the largest and most influential gathering of conservatives, has become a Trump-fest since his 2016 presidential election victory.

MSNBC reaction:

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
idk, Trump's age is a real factor. I would have liked to see DeSantis do better, but I understand the result.
I honestly think that because of how awful Biden has been in his first 6 months of office, any potential candidate on the list would do well against Biden. I wouldn't be surprised is a few Democrats run against Biden in a primary.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not surprising. They knew he would be speaking there. It was clearly an event more interesting to Republicans oriented toward Trump.

When the same kind of people voted, in a straw poll, for DeSantis and Trump in almost equal numbers, it was sooooo meaningful. Trump was on his sway out as this showed, or so we were informed. Now, the result, in the same kind of poll with the same kind of people, goes strongly for Trump, so it's not especially accurate or important. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Republicans should be concerned if they cannot find a competent, respectable candidate who can earn more votes than trump. Trump lost by a substantial number of votes. I reckon the establishment republicans are still enamored with fundraising money, not winning elections!

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,888.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would expect no less of CPAC members' votes considering that they cheered low vaccine numbers and were told that if government went door to door to promote vaccines they might "take your Bibles."

Fauci calls CPAC cheering of low vaccination numbers "horrifying"

Others carrying the anti-vaccine torch at CPAC included Colorado congresswoman Lauren Boebert, who mocked Biden’s efforts to get more people vaccinated and provide economic relief to states where the economy is still struggling to restart after pandemic-related shutdowns. “We’re here to tell the government we don’t want your benefits, we don’t want your welfare,” Boebert declared, strutting across a stage as she spoke. “Don’t come knocking on my door with your Fauci ‘ouchy’—you leave us the hell alone.”

Rep. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina went further in an interview onstage Friday night, pushing the idea that Biden’s goal to vaccinate more Americans, going house-to-house if necessary, was terrifying government overreach. He suggested that if the federal government cultivated the ability to go door-to-door for vaccinations that would create the kind of infrastructure that could “take your Bibles” (apparently overlooking that the U.S. Postal Service, the Census Bureau and other federal agencies already have the ability to go door-to-door but don’t confiscate Bibles.)

Of course, as we know, the former president received state-of-the-art treatment when he almost died of COVID, despite the fact that he did not meet the CDC's guidelines for the experimental monoclonal antibody treatment. We also know that he received the vaccine with little fanfare, later delivering a low-key encouragement to get the vaccine.

My state is now called the "epicenter" of the Delta variant.
The anti-vaccine proponents spout the most egregiously bizarre conspiracy theories about getting vaccinated. The state legislature has tied the more moderate governor's hands, prohibiting colleges from requiring vaccines, prohibiting cities from enacting their own mask restrictions, etc.

Paradoxically, the same legislature that endangers our lives by passing prohibitions on mask regulations, vaccines, etc. passed significant "pro-lfe" legislation. Obviously they don't see the disconnect.

• Prayers
Reactions: Kettriken
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is so sad.
No, this is wonderful news. It doesn’t seem like the Republicans learned much from the last election. Maybe losing another will make it start to sink in just how bad of a candidate and leader Trump has been for their party.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, this is wonderful news. It doesn’t seem like the Republicans learned much from the last election. Maybe losing another will make it start to sink in just how bad of a candidate and leader Trump has been for their party.
Trump/Jenner 2024: MAGA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Trump/Jenner 2024: MAGA

I always thought I was exaggerating when I said reality TV would be the downfall of civilization.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think anything will ever sink in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just because he lost this time doesn't mean he doesn't have a chance. People thought he didn't have a chance in 2016, after all.

Although if he runs again and does lose, I'm worried about a repeat of January 6th. He's obviously going to claim the election was rigged again.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Republicans should be concerned if they cannot find a competent, respectable candidate who can earn more votes than trump. Trump lost by a substantial number of votes. I reckon the establishment republicans are still enamored with fundraising money, not winning elections!

Trump got more votes than any previous candidate for President had ever gotten. He just did not get as many as Biden. They rank 1 and 2 all time in votes among Presidential candidates. One thing about Trump is that he gets people , both for him and against him , to vote. I seriously doubt Biden's votes were a ringing endorsement of him . I suspect those votes were mostly" Anyone but Trump" rather than enthusiastic votes for Joe Biden. This is not to say every Trump vote was an enthusiastic vote for him either many of those voting for Trump were just as alarmed at the prospect of Biden becoming President as those voting for Biden were of Trump returning for a second term.

Upvote 0