✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From post #33:
He changed the intended sentiment of the word "downplay" in the question, to avoid answering it directly.

The term "downplay" means to make it seem less serious than it actually is. To keep the same meaning as proposed in the question, up play would be it's opposite meaning to make it out to be more serious than it is.

Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Benjamin Franklin said, “Actions speak louder than words.” Talking up, down or sideways might not amount to a pile of beans.

This afternoon the CDC director said we might not have a vaccine until spring or summer of next year and we should wear face masks.
What?

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I'm just explaining it. I would wait till someone actually compares him to Winston Churchill before you unleash that golden nugget.
Yeah, who would be stupid enough to compare Trump to Churchill?

”As the British government advised the British people in the face of World War II, keep calm and carry on. That's what I did."

Oh, right - TRUMP DID!

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From post #33:
He changed the intended sentiment of the word "downplay" in the question, to avoid answering it directly.

The term "downplay" means to make it seem less serious than it actually is. To keep the same meaning as proposed in the question, up play would be it's opposite meaning to make it out to be more serious than it is.
I'm not reading every post here. All I did was explain it. If you have something to say about what I actually posted then do so, but otherwise you are just being confusing.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Oh, right - TRUMP DID!
Can I get a golf clap for you? Why are you telling me this. I don't see why I would be needed for this level of self congratulation.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can I get a golf clap for you? Why are you telling me this. I don't see why I would be needed for this level of self congratulation.

It is quite relevant, especially given the absolute difference between the two approaches in terms of "panic"... it was an excellent point!

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
You said I should wait until someone compares Trump to Churchill before I point out ludicrous that comparison is.

I was just showing that someone has made that silly comparison - Trump himself.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said I should wait until someone compares Trump to Churchill before I point out ludicrous that comparison is.

I was just showing that someone has made that silly comparison - Trump himself.
Yes, but that someone wasn't me...so why are bothering me with it? Couldn't you self congratulate on your own, or does that require a spotter now?

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is quite relevant, especially given the absolute difference between the two approaches in terms of "panic"... it was an excellent point!
It might be relevant to something, but not to an explanation of what he meant by up play.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist

Oh, right - TRUMP DID!

Yes, but that someone wasn't me...so why are bothering me with it? Couldn't you self congratulate on your own, or does that require a spotter now?

The someone who compared Trump to Churchill wasn't you, but that wasn't what you had previously held as your standard.

I'm just explaining it. I would wait till someone actually compares him to Winston Churchill before you unleash that golden nugget.

You said he should wait until someone compares Trump to Churchill. That threshold has been met.

Based on how you change the terms mid-argument, i can see why Trump resonates with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
The someone who compared Trump to Churchill wasn't you, but that wasn't what you had previously held as your standard.

You said he should wait until someone compares Trump to Churchill. That threshold has been met.

Based on how you change the terms mid-argument, i can see why Trump resonates with you.
See? It’s not hard to get. Hence, the act.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I didn't say he should send it to me.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please stop the rude and insulting posts.

stop flaming.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He has a point there, even if you'd rather not recognize it.

He was accused of downplaying the threat, and he admitted that he'd downplayed it when speaking about it, so as not to cause panic. But he is right that, at the same time as he was trying to reassure the country, he was actually taking stronger steps to DO SOMETHING to combat the spread of the virus than he gets credit for.

Yes, his explanation is in accord with the history of the matter.
His explanation is crap. He couldn’t figure out which way the wind was blowing

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not reading every post here. All I did was explain it. If you have something to say about what I actually posted then do so, but otherwise you are just being confusing.
I know it may sound confusing. Let me try a different approach. This is what you said as an explanation:
He is saying that he downplayed the threat and up played the response in terms of action.

The problem with your explanation is Trump didn't say that he downplayed the threat. He essentially dismissed the premise of the question that he had downplayed the threat at all.

Trump said: “Yeah, well, I didn’t downplay it, I actually, in many ways, I up-played it, in terms of action,” Notice that the question was not why did you downplay the virus in response and actions? The question was why did you downplay the danger?

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know it may sound confusing. Let me try a different approach. This is what you said as an explanation:
He is saying that he downplayed the threat and up played the response in terms of action.

The problem with your explanation is Trump didn't say that he downplayed the threat. He essentially dismissed the premise of the question that he had downplayed the threat at all.

Trump said: “Yeah, well, I didn’t downplay it, I actually, in many ways, I up-played it, in terms of action,” Notice that the question was not why did you downplay the virus in response and actions? The question was why did you downplay the danger?
He said he wanted to always play it (that being the threat of the virus) down to prevent panic in the Woodward report, that is what is being compared to the townhall statement in the OP. That is what I was explaining.

The question to Trump in the town hall was 'why would you downplay a pandemic that is known to disproportionately harm low income families and minority communities?' Her question contrasted downplay with harm, not panic as in the Woodward report. That is why he said that he up-played it in regards to action. They were two statements, in objectively different contexts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[STAFF EDITED DELETED QUOTE]
I'd hardly call knowing the the two relevant instances in question a subtlety. That, at the very least is what you should know before posting. That you consider it "the weeds" explains a great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If Trump walked on water, I'd be reading "Yes, but the soles of his shoes got wet."

When this actually happens let us know. Until then your made up scenario does nothing to address the valid criticisms of him.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0