• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Trump deliberately "up" played Covid threat

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Jimmy D, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

+5,449
    Atheist
    Married
    We expressed concern at Donald's handling of the pandemic in a thread earlier in the week .... "I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, even as he had declared a national emergency over the virus days earlier. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

trump-intentionally-downplayed-covid-19-dangers-to-the-american-people

Don't worry though, he actually over played the threat, or did he? I'm confused.

Linky

At Tuesday's town hall meeting held by ABC News in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Mr Trump was asked why he would "downplay a pandemic that is known to disproportionately harm low-income families and minority communities".

Mr Trump responded: "Yeah, well, I didn't downplay it. I actually, in many ways, I up-played it, in terms of action."

"My action was very strong," he said, citing a ban imposed on people travelling from China and Europe earlier this year.

"We would have lost thousands of more people had I not put the ban on. We saved a lot of lives when we did that," Mr Trump said.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    He has a point there, even if you'd rather not recognize it.

He was accused of downplaying the threat, and he admitted that he'd downplayed it when speaking about it, so as not to cause panic. But he is right that, at the same time as he was trying to reassure the country, he was actually taking stronger steps to DO SOMETHING to combat the spread of the virus than he gets credit for.

Yes, his explanation is in accord with the history of the matter.

3. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+18,938
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Yes and the results of his work are also on record. 6.7 million cases and over 200,000 deaths. What a fantastic job he’s done!

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    If Trump walked on water, I'd be reading "Yes, but the soles of his shoes got wet."

5. Jamsie

Jamsie Well-Known Member Supporter

+982
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    But he doesn't walk on water, although he and his supporters believe that he does. What "stronger steps" did he make?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Jimmy D

+5,449
    Atheist
    Married
    Stronger steps than who? Are you referring to his, by then, ineffective travel bans?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

7. Kentonio

Kentonio Well-Known Member

+8,130
    France
    Atheist
    Single
    His results are considerably worse than other comparable countries. Is there some particular reason why you keep rewarding him for failure?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,282
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yes, but Trump most certainly does not walk on water. The fact is that people are dead because he failed to take strong action.

9. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,975
    Atheist
    Single
    Only 15 cases, soon to be none. Yea that is up playing it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    Than most of his critics. A flock of Democrats who are state governors, Cuomo for example, who pled for assistance from the federal government and then, when Trump sent it, they didn't use it and let people die instead. Or they already had it but wanted to save it for some sort of rainy day while pleading that they needed help. Or if not that, changed their minds back and forth about wanting help from Trump or wanting him to stay out.

11. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+970
    Atheist
    Private
    Given his other performances walking on difficult surfaces, I doubt he has the coordination to walk on water. That's not uncommon in his age group as falls due to walking on solid water surfaces are quite common.

12. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+18,938
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Trump would only be elevated above the water by the 200,000+ bodies piled beneath his feet.

13. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,332
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    New Zealand went 102 days without an infection, then a partial lockdown to contain a few cases. US leaders are not smart enough to copy their model for success.

“New Zealand’s total case count (1569) and deaths (22) have remained low, and its Covid-related mortality (4 per 1 million) is the lowest among the 37 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development countries.“ August 20, 2020
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2025203

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • List
  14. evoeth

evoeth Man trying to figure things out

+1,877
    Atheist
    Married
    Did you forget the part where those governors ordered everyone in their states to stay indoors unless they absolutely had to?

Remember that?

That was over Trump's objections.

15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married
    But I'm not at all sure that a largely closed society can be compared with the world's most fluid and diverse one.

16. dqhall

+2,332
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    People partied during the pandemic got sick and spread the virus to people who died. A pastor disobeyed a state government church shutdown, got the virus and died. Trump is not to blame for all those who did not take measures to protect themselves. Trump has made errors from the beginning when he said the coronavirus is a hoax of the Democrats. The Chinese are scheduled to start vaccinating their people in November. Russia has already started vaccinations.

17. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,369
    Anglican
    Married

I got the part where it was a patchwork of different and constantly changing regulations, varying from state to state, sometimes rescinded as soon as those hundreds of edicts were issued.

18. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+3,997
    Seeker
    That’s kind of the problem for people who want to argue that Trump did a good job - you have to pretend the rest of the world doesn’t exist.

19. Jimmy D

+5,449
    Atheist
    Married
    Yes, strong leadership was called for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. dqhall

+2,332
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Some of this was because of the rebellious youth who learned they were not likely to die of infection. Some of these attacked people for asking them to wear face masks. Others had parties to try to infect people. Doctors and nurses were dying. They did not care. There were critical health care shortages. Meat packing house employees were dying. Police were dying. EMT’s died. It is a lethal disease. Obese people are in a high risk category. The restaurants in Florida are open. People do not go there like they used to. The government wants to fully open bars. That might cause another spike.