• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Trump Declares Himself Ally of Peaceful Protesters

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by iluvatar5150, Jun 1, 2020.

1. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+14,330
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,119
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Private
    Declaring folks domestic terrorists now.

Pay close attention, America. It's Black Lives Matter this time. It could be Democrats next, or Muslims, or whatever.

For all the talk during the Obama years about how certain legislation or discussions were 'a step closer' to 'persecuting Christians' or 'stripping rights', this is a step closer to tyranny and oppressive government, and a step closer than you've probably been since the inception of your country.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  3. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+5,019
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  4. iluvatar5150

+14,330
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    IOW, standard Republican rhetoric.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. iluvatar5150

+14,330
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    • List
  6. Norbert L

Norbert L Well-Known Member Supporter

+687
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    There are two sides of a large story affecting the whole nation.

• List
  7. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,119
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Private
    I'm not surprised. For someone that takes faith seriously, I imagine it's offensive to see Trump use their place of worship and book of scriptures as props to appeal to his core that care about nothing other than the appearance of being godly.

I doubt Trump could even recite the first verse of Genesis let alone any scriptures pertaining to the teachings of Christ.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,194
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Well when you claim to oversee a church building called the National Cathedral you've already made some political compromises. Maybe in the future, knowing how disliked he is at the National Cathedral, Trump can try the National Shrine instead.

9. GreatLakes4Ever

GreatLakes4Ever Well-Known Member

+1,642
    United States
    Humanist
    Engaged
    St. John’s Episcopal Church where Trump’s picture was taken is not the National Cathedral.

10. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,027
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    It's funny how if anyone else is imperfect, they're trash, but the president is perfect, no matter what.

11. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+2,964
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

Marianne Budde, the Episcopal Bishop of Washington, has expressed outrage at Trump's actions in clearing protesters and his use of St John's as a backdrop for his comments.

“Everything he has said and done is to inflame violence,” Budde said. “I am beyond. We need moral leadership, and he’s done everything to divide us, and has just used one of the most sacred symbols of the Judeo-Christian tradition.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/reli...ca70f8-a466-11ea-b619-3f9133bbb482_story.html.

OB​

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  12. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,060
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
  13. Silmarien

Silmarien Existentialist

+5,019
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I think they were primarily angry that he had had a group of peaceful protesters tear-gassed so that he could have a photo-op at the church. I would assume that the National Shrine would be similarly unhappy if something like that happened.

That said, yeah, the National Cathedral really, really dislikes him.

14. chevyontheriver

+8,194
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    My bad. I mistakenly thought St. Johns was the Episcopal Cathedral in Washington DC. But St John the Divine, which I was thinking of, is in New York. Thank you for the correction.

15. chevyontheriver

+8,194
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    In his own mind perhaps. The rest of us don't have that problem.

16. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+21,504
    Agnostic
    Single
    They stood between him and self-glorification. Obviously they're enemies of America.

17. Yttrium

Yttrium Well-Known Member

+768
    United States
    Skeptic
    Single
    Yeah, it's pretty hard to take Trump's declaration of being a champion of law and order and an ally of peaceful protestors seriously, when he's causing chaos by dispersing a peaceful crowd with tear gas and rubber bullets... for a photo op. I mean, I suppose the crowd might have been violating some kind of ordnance, but it sure looked like a 1st amendment violation to me. Image matters in situations like this.

And the guys actually firing on the crowd better have had a good reason to do it besides just following orders. Because 1st amendment. It was still a good half hour before the scheduled curfew.

18. camille70

camille70 Newbie Supporter

+2,852
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
  19. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+13,523
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." --Galatians 6:7

20. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,868
    Atheist
    Single
    In the beginning God created the Trump and the Earth?

At least that seems to be the way he remembers it.