Trump could once again win electoral college

Electoral College vote -- Will Trump win again?

• Yes

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • If so we will be celebrating on the mountain

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • If so I'm moving to another country

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure worked out best for us last time.
Forefathers knew what they were doing.
No surprise.
M-Bob

Sure, if the 'us' is the minority that is doing well out of it. Personally I feel more comfortable with, or at least more accepting of, majority decisions.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Rule by the minority. A good thing?
I love the electoral college. It’s an occasional reminder that the left needs to win more than just the major metros.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love the electoral college. It’s an occasional reminder that the left needs to win more than just the major metros.

The Democrat party seem to have shot themselves in both feet by neglecting the rural vote.
What is the basic idea behind the electoral college idea? Was it to ensure a representative spread, or is that just a happy coincidence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't represent the majority of votes though right? Or does it? Is it a majority of senate seats that is represented?
The "United States" are a federation of regions (states) that have a certain degree of autonomy, having their own legislatures, laws, elections, courts, military, and so on that most countries of the world do not have. We might illustrate this by calling to mind the way that the general assembly of the United Nations functions.

Each of these states participates in the presidential election much like they send their own Senators and Representatives to the national Congress, rather than 535 of them being elected at-large. There is a difference between this format and the way the UN operates, however, since the electoral votes assigned to each of the states is proportional to the population (and, therefore, the voters) of each state; they do not all have the same voting power in the Electoral College.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Democrat party seem to have shot themselves in both feet by neglecting the rural vote.
What is the basic idea behind the electoral college idea? Was it to ensure a representative spread, or is that just a happy coincidence?
There are a zillion conspiracy theories about the motives behind the electoral college. But it has the practical effect of requiring consensus from the states. 2016 is almost a case study of the system working as intended.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "United States" are a federation of regions (states) that have a certain degree of autonomy, having their own legislatures, laws, elections, courts, military, and so on that most countries of the world do not have.

Each of these participates in the presidential election much like they send their own Senators and Representatives to the national Congress, rather than 535 of them being elected at-large.

Senators and representatives are voted for within their own states, and they then vote in the president?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Senators and representatives are voted for within their own states, and they then vote in the president?
No, no. The national parliament (Congress) is separate from the Electoral College and that particular issue. The electors, so-called, are chosen separately.

I was merely saying there that when people start talking about needing a direct vote for president, nationwide, they take it for granted that Congress operates on the basis of each sovereign state sending its own representatives to the body that makes law for all of us, regardless of which state we reside in. That's not much different from how they choose the electors.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Magillacuddy

From the dark, to the light...
Aug 2, 2016
Heartland
✟23,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "United States" are a federation of regions (states) that have a certain degree of autonomy, having their own legislatures, laws, elections, courts, military, and so on that most countries of the world do not have. We might illustrate this by calling to mind the way that the general assembly of the United Nations functions.

Each of these states participates in the presidential election much like they send their own Senators and Representatives to the national Congress, rather than 535 of them being elected at-large. There is a difference between this format and the way the UN operates, however, since the electoral votes assigned to each of the states is proportional to the population (and, therefore, the voters) of each state; they do not all have the same voting power in the Electoral College.

Nice.

The amount of ignorance about the EC is astounding. I would bet most Democrat voters today would call it an evil plot by Trump. I kid you not.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sure, if the 'us' is the minority that is doing well out of it. Personally I feel more comfortable with, or at least more accepting of, majority decisions.

Nonsense. The same Electoral College saw Barack Obama elected twice. Everybody loves or hates the EC when it suits them.

• Agree
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nice.

The amount of ignorance about the EC is astounding. I would bet most Democrat voters today would call it an evil plot by Trump. I kid you not.
Could be. I don't remember much if any whining when JFK, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton were elected by only a MINORITY of the popular vote.

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is good, it prevents the majority of the tyranny from oppressing the minority, the founders where wise , we are a Constitutional Republic, not a direct democracy. Until the flawed wilsonian 17th amendment, our senators wern't directly elected by the people, but through the Congress of individual states. The Founders were wise after seeing the tyranny of the direct democracy of the French Revolution.

The electoral college is actually making sure that the majority of the states in middle America, and the south (accounting for like 30 states) are representive, instead of them being ruled by the tyranny of out of touch cosomopolitan coastal elites, who account for only 20 states. God bless the electoral college, it protects true liberty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0