✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Opinion | Trump could be the most honest president in modern history

Don’t get me wrong, Trump lies all the time. He said that he “enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history” (actually they are the eighth largest) and that “our economy is the strongest it’s ever been in the history of our country” (which may one day be true, but not yet). In part, it’s a New York thing — everything is the biggest and the best.

But when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness — keeping his promises — Trump is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office Trump has done exactly what he promised he would.

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness — keeping his promises — Trump is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office Trump has done exactly what he promised he would.
I think it's worthy of two threads at least.

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can think of promises he didn't keep. That we would win so much we would see, "Please, Mr. Trump! I can't take all this winning!" I see nothing but loss around me--a stock market that did well from the end of the Obama wave that has been stagnant this year, a ballooning deficit, pollution, unsafe products, continuing income inequality which was not helped by tax cuts for the rich....and the threat to retirees of seeing their Social Security and Medicare sacrificed on the altar of tax cuts for the rich.

"I will replace your healthcare---WITH SOMETHING BETTER." All I can think the "something better" will be is the possibility of medical tourism to those who can afford the airfare....imagine how many jobs medical professionals and paraprofessionals will lose when tens of millions can't afford their services anymore. Layoffs, layoffs.

The biggest whopper--"Draining the swamp!" Instead, he installed one crook after another--insider trader Price, expense account Richie-Rich Pruitt, day-tripper at government expense Minuchin and wife, Ivanka selling her goods on the government website (briefly) and pitching them to businesses on allegedly "diplomatic" missions, Jared hobnobbing to get loans from the Saudis, the Chinese, and whoever for 666 Fifth Avenue, NYC...not to mention Trump himself, who is the most frequent diner at the government gravy train.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
If you discount all the lies he's told and continues to tell, and if you discount the campaign promises that were chanted at his rallies ("Build that wall!", "Drain the Swamp", and "Lock her up!"), then one could make the argument that the remainder of his arguments are downright honest in comparison.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you discount all the lies he's told and continues to tell, and if you discount the campaign promises that were chanted at his rallies ("Build that wall!", "Drain the Swamp", and "Lock her up!"), then one could make the argument that the remainder of his arguments are downright honest in comparison.

I'm rich, except for all the money I don't have.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There's a truth to this: Donald doesn't lie about what's he's going to do -- he makes up bogus facts and statistics to lie about why he's doing it, and of course, lies about it after the fact to make it seem so much greater than it is (as the article itself shows).

The man needs to be popular, and when he lies (which is still often; make no mistake), it's a means to that end.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Didn't we do this thread yesterday?
It appears that of all the things the GOP has to choose from, it is going to try and campaign on Trump's honesty in the mid terms. Kinda tells you how dry the proverbial well has gone.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,822.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Personally, I'm really happy to now have universal health care. And each infrastructure week was certainly entertaining. His approach to draining the swamp - getting his own people arrested and convicted - was truly unexpected but I guess you can't argue with results.

• Haha
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There's a truth to this: Donald doesn't lie about what's he's going to do -- he makes up bogus facts and statistics to lie about why he's doing it, and of course, lies about it after the fact to make it seem so much greater than it is (as the article itself shows).
Better than ‘telling a lie about what you intend to do’ in the first place – and then making-up bogus info for any whys that come up.

The man needs to be popular, and when he lies (which is still often; make no mistake), it's a means to that end.
What president hasn’t felt the need to be popular, even to the point of embellishing things let's say?

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Where's this better, cheaper health insurance we're all supposed to get?
Apparently, the resistance thinks there are other more important things to battle over first. He'll eventually get around to it... maybe next term.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Apparently, the resistance thinks there are other more important things to battle over first. He'll eventually get around to it... maybe next term.
The resistance? Is that what's stopping him while his party holds control of all three branches of government?

Upvote 0