United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trump considers creating second task force to focus on reopening economy

Trump was asked about a tweet he’d sent earlier in the day responding to a tweet by Fox News anchor Dana Perino suggesting a second task force focused on the economy.

“Thinking about it, getting a group of people and we have to open our country,” he said. “You know, I had an expression, the cure can’t be worse than the problem itself. Right? I started by saying that and I continue to say it. The cure cannot be worse than the problem itself. We got to get our country open,” Trump said.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can't get the country open until we get coronavirus contained.

If he can't do that latter, the former can't happen.

Actually we can restart the economy at any time. We have the capability to do so. The question is not 'can we?' but 'should we?' . The answer to that 'should we?' question is not a easy one. At some point the health experts believe we will be able to start returning to a semi normal economy without causing a complete health disaster. We already have a complete economic disaster so we might as well hold off until they tell us it is safe to begin again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Trump was asked about a tweet he’d sent earlier in the day responding to a tweet by Fox News anchor Dana Perino suggesting a second task force focused on the economy.

“Thinking about it, getting a group of people and we have to open our country,” he said. “You know, I had an expression, the cure can’t be worse than the problem itself. Right? I started by saying that and I continue to say it. The cure cannot be worse than the problem itself. We got to get our country open,” Trump said.
What I find hypocritical are statements like this, while these guys are standing right next to each other.
“Viruses transmit from people to people. When people are separated from each other the virus does not transmit — it doesn’t go anywhere and that’s the reason why something as simple as the physical separation … that’s our most important tool,” Fauci said Saturday.

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually we can restart the economy at any time. We have the capability to do so. The question is not 'can we?' but 'should we?' . The answer to that 'should we?' question is not a easy one. At some point the health experts believe we will be able to start returning to a semi normal economy without causing a complete health disaster. We already have a completer economic disaster so we might as well hold off until they tell us it is safe to begin again.
False. If we have coronavirus running rampant, society will collapse and the economy cannot operate.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
False. If we have coronavirus running rampant, society will collapse and the economy cannot operate.

I am afraid you are wrong there. There is a difference between being incapable of doing something and being unwilling to do something. If the economy was not unable to function during WW I and WW II and the middle age European economy was still able to function to a degree even during the Black Plague the modern economy would be able to function with a much smaller percentage of the populace sick and dying than during that plague or with the world being partly inflames and dying during world wide conflict. This economy was not shut down just because of the presence of the virus, it was shut down because health care is unable to save enough lives if we do not flatten the curve enough to keep the health care systems from being overrun. We have, as a society, decided that the saving of an unknown number of extra lives takes precedence over a stable economy. I, for one, think that is the more humane decision of the two though I am not able to say how many, or even if any, extra lives might end up being saved. We will never know what would have happened had we done something else. We will only know what actually did happen. We also will never know how many people will end up dying as a consequence of their reaction to economic instability.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Did anyone ask him if he was going to take responsibility for what this task force decides to do?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did anyone ask him if he was going to take responsibility for what this task force decides to do?

When we haven't even gotten there yet
are we already going there?

Guess some really plan ahead?

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am afraid you are wrong there. There is a difference between being incapable of doing something and being unwilling to do something. If the economy was not unable to function during WW I and WW II and the middle age European economy was still able to function to a degree even during the Black Plague the modern economy would be able to function with a much smaller percentage of the populace sick and dying than during that plague or with the world being partly inflames and dying during world wide conflict. This economy was not shut down just because of the presence of the virus, it was shut down because health care is unable to save enough lives if we do not flatten the curve enough to keep the health care systems from being overrun. We have, as a society, decided that the saving of an unknown number of extra lives takes precedence over a stable economy. I, for one, think that is the more humane decision of the two though I am not able to say how many, or even if any, extra lives might end up being saved. We will never know what would have happened had we done something else. We will only know what actually did happen. We also will never know how many people will end up dying as a consequence of their reaction to economic instability.
That is a nonsensical rant by you, grasping the after wind. You are incapable of understanding the relationship of cultural and social health juxtaposed to the economy. There is no comparison to other pandemics in America with the exception of the Spanish Flu.

We do it your way and American society will collapse.

I re-read the above some hours later and by golly, it's still true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,116.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Unless the national government says otherwise.
No, not unless the national government says otherwise. The Federal government doesn't have general police powers. That's the province of the states and these stay-at-home orders are the exercise of that power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,116.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes, until the national government says otherwise. It is constitutional until the courts say that such orders are not, and the courts are not going to do that during this emergency, Arcangl86.
It's not like we are venturing into unknown territory here. The limits of the federal government over the states are already clearly established. If the federal government tries to overrule the states, they probably will just ignore them.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is a nonsensical rant by you, grasping the after wind. You are incapable of understanding the relationship of cultural and social health juxtaposed to the economy. There is no comparison to other pandemics in America with the exception of the Spanish Flu.

We do it your way and American society will collapse.

I re-read the above some hours later and by golly, it's still true.

If you think my way, which is quoted below from my previous posts in this thread, will collapse American society, What is your way then? Since you insist that it is not possible to open up the economy now, you can't opt for doing the opposite of my way by ignoring the health experts and opening up the economy now? Perhaps your way is to ignore the health experts advice when they tell us it is a safe to do so and refrain from ever opening up the economy? You claim to be able to judge my capacity for understanding. I won't make such a grandiose claim about your ability to understand but I think there is clear evidence that, if you do have that ability, you are not using it when reading my posts.

At some point the health experts believe we will be able to start returning to a semi normal economy without causing a complete health disaster. We already have a complete economic disaster so we might as well hold off until they tell us it is safe to begin again.

We have, as a society, decided that the saving of an unknown number of extra lives takes precedence over a stable economy. I, for one, think that is the more humane decision of the two though I am not able to say how many, or even if any, extra lives might end up being saved

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's what Donald Rumsfeld did prior to the invasion of Iraq. All the regular intelligence analysts who had been studying Iraq for years refused to validate his claims that Saddam Hussein had new stockpiles of WMD, so Rumsfeld created a new task force of amateurs to "find what the others have missed."

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I find hypocritical are statements like this, while these guys are standing right next to each other.
“Viruses transmit from people to people. When people are separated from each other the virus does not transmit — it doesn’t go anywhere and that’s the reason why something as simple as the physical separation … that’s our most important tool,” Fauci said Saturday.

Fauci isn't too consistent himself, and the CDC also undermines him.

Mostly, they all lie by omission and specific details.

"Opening up the economy" or "going back to normal" can't happen until the vast majority of people are out of danger of contracting the disease. That means until a vaccine is available and most have taken it (18 to 24 months from now) or "herd immunity" kicks in (24 to 36 months from now).

Then what is supposed to happen by April 30?

By April 30, nothing in the environment will have changed. But they should have statistical evidence of whether current shelter in place and stay-home actions have begun to "flatten the curve."

What happens if the curve proves to be flattening?

We have to remain sheltered in place!

As I just said, nothing will have changed in the environment. April 30 is just like January 30. Until the actual risk of infection goes down substantially, that ol' curve can always go exponential on us if we go back to our old ways.

But wait...there's more. You know that horizontal black line on the graphs that represent the capacity of the healthcare system to handle the disease? That's not a horizontal line. That's a line that drops continually along the X-axis (time) because doctors and nurses and many critical resources are not being pumped into the back end at the rate that they wear out, burn out, get used up, or die at the front end.

There is no "going back to normal" unless, of course, we do some other things differently, like:

1. Gain the capacity to test everyone on demand, repeatedly, and get results back immediately. If/when we can do that, we can go back to life as somewhat normal.

2. Get enough N95 masks and alcohol into distribution so that everyone can have as many as necessary (and that's at least one new mask per day for each working individual...100 million a day).

If we're not using this time to get either of those things done, then "shelter in place" is the new normal for the next 18 months to three years.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do not let your children mix with the spawn of the anti-social distancers. Otherwise, they will marry, and your grandchildren will be spawn of stupidity of the right

That reminds me of an OT passage.

Then an Israelite man brought into the camp a Midianite woman right before the eyes of Moses and the whole assembly of Israel while they were weeping at the entrance to the tent of meeting. When Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the priest, saw this, he left the assembly, took a spear in his hand and followed the Israelite into the tent. He drove the spear into both of them, right through the Israelite man and into the woman’s stomach. Then the plague against the Israelites was stopped; but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000. - Numbers 25

Upvote 0